Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I dont know why im losing motivation to exercise and im only 2weeks post-op HELP!

I was sleeved 1/15/19. Lost 20lbs pre-op and as of this week lost 20lbs as noted during 1st post appt this week Wed. I jst started purees and i am losing motivation to execise which I am not proud of. Even though this week was a polar vortex of -40 degree wind chill, I still could hv exercised in my home, but I did not.[emoji20] I had been having some pain in my right calf muscle and had an ultrasound, which thankfully was not a blood clot, but some sort of mass that could not be identified. I am scheduled to have another ultrasound (musclerskeletal) of the soft tissue next week and I am afraid that if i go to the gym, it wld make whatever is going on worse. The thing is, I was only using the stationery bike and walking on the treadmill and now i feel that i cant do that until I find out whats going on, but I also dont want to wait.
I need help..please. Any ideas??

You have no motivation because you are two weeks out and surviving on hardly any food. Your energy levels are drained, and will be for about 2 months. Give yourself time to heal!

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

You have no motivation because you are two weeks out and surviving on hardly any food. Your energy levels are drained, and will be for about 2 months. Give yourself time to heal!

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you so much!! I didnt think about that. I was starting feel like a failure

You've just been through a very major surgery. Be kind to yourself. Do you have an elastic exercise band at home? You could do some stretching and upper-body stuff if you're worried about your leg until you get it tested. Don't be too hard on yourself.

give it time. you are fresh out of surgery. I am almost 3 months post op and am just now going to the gym. I went back to my dance classes at Christmas, but only now do I have the energy to do both. Give yourself some healing time before you expect too much out of yourself.

You've just been through a very major surgery. Be kind to yourself. Do you have an elastic exercise band at home? You could do some stretching and upper-body stuff if you're worried about your leg until you get it tested. Don't be too hard on yourself.
Yes, actually I do have some elastic bands I could use. Great idea. I was thinking that it might strain my core a little too much since they said not to pull or lift anything more than 5-10lbs until 1month post-op. But, yeah I cld def try using them lightly. Thanks! I just dont want to fail at this. Im trying fight back those self-defeating thoughts that this will turn out like all my other attempts to lose weight and stay positive by keeping the faith. Thanks again for your help. [emoji4]

give it time. you are fresh out of surgery. I am almost 3 months post op and am just now going to the gym. I went back to my dance classes at Christmas, but only now do I have the energy to do both. Give yourself some healing time before you expect too much out of yourself.
Thank you.

I’m 2 weeks post RNY and wouldn’t even dream of exercising yet. Just walking around the shops knocks me out

You should not be exercising!! Watch this video by internationally accredited bariatric surgeon Dr. Vuong.

18 hours ago, MissTimeIsUp said:

You should not be exercising!! Watch this video by internationally accredited bariatric surgeon Dr. Vuong.

Everyone should do what their OWN medical team recommends and what feels right to THEM. Of course we all want to see a video telling us it's OK not to exercise. No one got fat because we love running marathons. And the term internationally accredited is total cr*p. WHAT is he internationally accredited to do? Nothing. What nonsense.

Actually, my surgeon and program recommends 30-60 mins of some form of exercise per day immediate after post-op. Of course, there is NO weightlifting, pulling, tugging or excessive bending allowed for the 1st 4weeks, but they def ordered and had us sign a contract to do that and other healthy lifestyle things everday. Of course they instructed us not to over-do-it and only do as much as each person can tolerate individually, but they actually call and ask u if youve been following the plan esp with the nutrition, wound & exercise part. Ive seen many of Dr Vons videos and i think he has a lot of good info, so thanks. Each prog is diff tho.

I forgot to add that the main reason they require this is to prevent post-op pulmonary embolisms. They really stress walking a lot, and like i previously mentioned, no putting stress on your core abdominal muscles.