Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1100 calories in a day!!!

I ate over 1100 calories today! I have been averaging around 500-600 for this past week but today I just could not get SATISFIED! I’m totally freaked out by this! I’m so worried I’m slipping back into old habits and I’m going to fail. Anyone else have this issue and how did you get a handle on it???

26 minutes ago, NorthCountryGirl said:

I ate over 1100 calories today! I have been averaging around 500-600 for this past week but today I just could not get SATISFIED! I’m totally freaked out by this! I’m so worried I’m slipping back into old habits and I’m going to fail. Anyone else have this issue and how did you get a handle on it???

500-900 is not lifelong calories...They will increase as you progress.How far out from surgery? Were the extra calories due to bad food choices?

I'm a sleeve . My calories increased to 900 to 1100 of healthy foods. Sleeves have less surgery restriction as you progress. This is why it's important to log and keep within your weight loss calories and macros for the day.

Edited by Healthy_life

24 minutes ago, NorthCountryGirl said:

I just could not get SATISFIED

• What does a day of food look like for you?
  • If you are on real food stage, have you stopped drinking shakes/meal bars?
  • Are you eating real whole foods to hit your Protein goals?
  • Have carbs/sugar snuck back into your diet? Once you eat them you crave them more.

Edited by Healthy_life

As long as it doesn't become a habit. I'm 8 weeks post-op and eating around 800 calories/day. I track everything I eat in MyFitnessPal.com

I had the same experience this week and im 3weeks post op. Im in the puree stage and pureed some cooked ground turkey and navy Beans with chicken broth, Bragg Nutritional Yeast and non-salt seasoning and it was def the cals from the beans/carbs. I was so sick of Protein Shakes and wanted to be sure to get all of my Proteins in. But, it seems like im more hungry now. So, idk. But, im going to try to add back the shakes even though its only been a couple of days of being puree

8 hours ago, Healthy_life said:

500-900 is not lifelong calories...They will increase as you progress.How far out from surgery? Were the extra calories due to bad food choices?

I'm a sleeve . My calories increased to 900 to 1100 of healthy foods. Sleeves have less surgery restriction as you progress. This is why it's important to log and keep within your weight loss calories and macros for the day.

The only thing I would consider “bad” is I had quite a few crackers with Peanut Butter and some cheese. Other than that it was all high Protein foods. I’m 3.5 weeks out and feel I don’t have much restriction even at this early post-op. How far out are you?

1 hour ago, NewMeDay said:

I had the same experience this week and im 3weeks post op. Im in the puree stage and pureed some cooked ground turkey and navy Beans with chicken broth, Bragg Nutritional Yeast and non-salt seasoning and it was def the cals from the beans/carbs. I was so sick of Protein Shakes and wanted to be sure to get all of my Proteins in. But, it seems like im more hungry now. So, idk. But, im going to try to add back the shakes even though its only been a couple of days of being puree

I’m 3.5 weeks out and on soft foods. So I can eat seafood, soft cheeses, crackers etc. I still do one Protein Shake per day to make sure I get all the Protein. But yea, I’m definitely more hungry now as well. I thought it would get better after the purée stage. That was brutal!

9 minutes ago, NorthCountryGirl said:

The only thing I would consider “bad” is I had quite a few crackers with Peanut Butter and some cheese. Other than that it was all high Protein foods. I’m 3.5 weeks out and feel I don’t have much restriction even at this early post-op. How far out are you?

You are right, your calories should be lower at 3.5 weeks out.

Cut the Peanut Butter and crackers out of your diet will bring your calories down. Crackers may be causing the hunger.. Once you add carbs you crave them more. Peanut butter is a slider food for me. Its high in calories and has no bulk. Easy to eat way too much of it, never feel full and start gaining weight.

Do you use a food log app? I use myfitnesspal. I felt better after I got to real food stage. hang in there.

I’m 3.5 weeks out and on soft foods. So I can eat seafood, soft cheeses, crackers etc. I still do one Protein Shake per day to make sure I get all the Protein. But yea, I’m definitely more hungry now as well. I thought it would get better after the purée stage. That was brutal!
Correction: Im 2weeks post-op. But, yeah, I totally understand. Im wondering about this also. Oh!! I just remembered thay at my 1st post-op appt earlier this week, the RD told us to eat 5 high protein meals and/or Protein Shakes a day to keep hunger down, even if we are not hungry. Which wld basically mean eating about every 3hrs. Seems hard, but thats what im going to try 2day and see if that works.

Seems like the only time I lose weight is when I get up to 1100 for a day or two. I can never maintain that but it seems to push the old metabolism in the right direction!

6 hours ago, Healthy_life said:

You are right, your calories should be lower at 3.5 weeks out.

Cut the Peanut Butter and crackers out of your diet will bring your calories down. Crackers may be causing the hunger.. Once you add carbs you crave them more. Peanut Butter is a slider food for me. Its high in calories and has no bulk. Easy to eat way too much of it, never feel full and start gaining weight.

Do you use a food log app? I use myfitnesspal. I felt better after I got to real food stage. hang in there.

Healthy_life- i’m using the Baritastic app to log everything. That’s how I knew I had consumed over 1100 calories 😩 However I did have 96 gm Protein and only 13gm sugar. Net carbs were 69 ouch. Will hopefully get to the real foods stage in about 3 weeks. Excited to add more fruits and veggies that should keep calories down!

NewMeDay - I find that I actually get hungry every 2 hrs so that’s what I’ve been doing 😂 My surgeon told me 5 small high protein meals per day. Having no trouble with this 🤣

Myhorseisfattoo - How far post-op are you? I just thought this was super high calories for only 3.5 weeks post op. But I did weigh myself this morning and had dropped a lb so maybe it’s not such a big deal? Trying not to make a habit of it

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Need to do some introspection and figure out the root cause of not being satisfied. Was it an emotional void that you were unable to satisfy? Is it because you aren't getting enough nutrition from your diet? Remember, calories are not all created equal. 200 calories from a bagel will not make you near as full as 200 calories from fresh fish and fruit. Look up Dr. Vuong on youtube. Tons of information to help you.

You certainly can't base your calorie intake on mine so I'm not suggesting that. I am a large guy that even if I had zero fat on my body I'd weigh 250 lbs probably and I am 6'6". But I eat 2200 calories a day post-sleeve and the world hasn't ended. I still lose weight because it is below my BMR.

I don't know your height, weight, age, etc... but I would imagine that 1100 calories is probably still under your BMR. You'll be fine. You can't live on 5-600 calories a day the rest of your life.

The important things to do in this early stage, in this order and in my opinion are:

1. Make correct food choices -- Protein, first. Healthy food first. If you get to the end of your day and still have calories left and you've hit all your macros then you can have a reward. I usually eat a half a cup of ice cream on days like that. Calories are calories. Don't buy the bull that there are 'bad calories.' It is all situational. If Cookies are a building block of your diet then yes, that is bad. Not because the calries in a cookie are worse than the calories in a piece of chicken but because they are devoid of any nutrition. This is why you wait until the end of your day for any 'reward' food. If I have 200 calories left over on my day and I've hit all my macros, I use those 200 calories on whatever the hell I want. You should do the same. It keeps me from craving those things by occasionally enjoying them as treats.

2. Drink Water, tea or some form of zero calorie liquid all day, every day. It will help with weight loss and Constipation.

3. Log everything that goes into your mouth. You have to learn to do this because it makes you keenly aware of what you can and cannot eat. It makes you aware of what you are eating, too.

4. Get active. Don't squander this opportunity. For many of this -- at least, I felt this way for myself -- this is the last chance to live a long, healthy life. You don't want to go out without your best shot. If the weight beats you, don't let it be because you didn't give it your all.

5. Do not weigh yourself daily if you freak out about weight gain. If you must always weigh yourself at the same time every day. First thing in the morning, last thing before you go to bed and keep that routine. The reason being, your weight WILL fluctuate day to day and even during the day based on hydration levels and in the case of this surgery, constipation is cruel to your scale numbers too.

22 hours ago, MissTimeIsUp said:

Need to do some introspection and figure out the root cause of not being satisfied. Was it an emotional void that you were unable to satisfy? Is it because you aren't getting enough nutrition from your diet? Remember, calories are not all created equal. 200 calories from a bagel will not make you near as full as 200 calories from fresh fish and fruit. Look up Dr. Vuong on youtube. Tons of information to help you.

FYI Dr Vuong. Note Alex Breacher (founder of this site) knows him personally

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/420312-dr-vuong-seminars-who-has-been-what-are-they-about/?tab=comments#comment-4707590

I know Dr. Vuong for over a decade. He is a very nice and entertaining guy who IMHO gives out so-so medical and surgical advice. He bounced around from practice to practice and has never been able to make it as a bariatric surgeon.

elcee, Christabelle, GreenTealael and 1 other reacted to this

Alex Brecher

Founder & CEO

BariatricPal

BariatricPal Store: Huge selection of Protein Supplements and Bariatric Vitamins.

BariatricPal Hospital MX: The Most Experienced Bariatric & Plastic Surgeons in Mexico!

23 hours ago, NorthCountryGirl said:

Myhorseisfattoo - How far post-op are you? I just thought this was super high calories for only 3.5 weeks post op. But I did weigh myself this morning and had dropped a lb so maybe it’s not such a big deal? Trying not to make a habit of it

I am 7 weeks out now. I think hitting in that one day, as long as it isn't every day at your stage, will be fine in the end. Keep your Protein high and your carbs low. BTW, I accidentally found out how many cals are in a chicken drumstick! Thinking I was doing great, then BAM They are hidden everywhere!