Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

healthy foods

can anyone please tell me some foods or recipes or websites that would help me in weight loss. I had my lap band but it seems I always eat wrong foods. Should I be skipping carbs and eating only Protein or how. I had my lap band done on 12-1-04 and had one fill so far and I have lost only 5 lbs. It seems that I always end up eating wrong foods (pasta, bread, even snacks). I would really like some healthy fast and easy recipes becuause I am so busy to prepare long meals. I have a 3 years old and a 15 month old and a full time job.

If u can give me any info it would be greatly appreciated. (I cannot ask my dr. becase I feel very sorry I had the surgery with, the dr. patientrelationship sacks and whenver you call his office and leave a messaage no one calls you back. When I went for my first fill I did not get a chance to ask even one question. He came in, gave me fill and walked ot On the way

out he said I should start loosing weight now....go figure...)

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum! I can't imagine that your doctor did not give you some sort of eating guidelines when you had your surgery? But, you are right, breads, Pasta, Snacks are actually foods that we should avoid at least MOST of the time.

There is a link to the Patient Handbook for the lapband here that will be good reading for you. It will list the 10 Lapband Rules as well as what is best to eat. Normally, the rule of thumb is: eat your Protein first - it should be hard Proteins, such as lean beef, chicken, fish, then your veggies - these should be your good carbs. IF you still have any room, THEN you could have a bite or two of something less desirable, such as starches.

It is not meant that you should never have higher calorie refined flours and sugars again, but that you focus mainly on getting in your Protein and good carbs first. These should keep you more satisfied longer so that you don't resort to the snacking and high calorie/empty value foods.

http://www.inamed.com/products/obesity/us/patient/lapband/information.html#booklet

Hi,

I was banded on 11/30/04 and found the food to be harder than I thought. I have been eating a lot of tuna because I can buy it almost anywhere. I have been eating mainly protien now but it took a little while to get used to it. I had eaten very little meat and it was a challenge to get it in at every meal. So good luck and check in with some other people who are banded longer. I read a lot of posts and they were very helpful.

Elli, have you tried logging your foods on www.fitday.com ? It is a great way to make you conscientous of what you're eating, how much of it, calories, etc.. It breaks foods down by groups - Protein, carbs, fats, etc. Also, are you getting a lot of Water in every single day (but wait an hour after a meal)? It's surprising how important a role that water plays in the whole weight loss picture. Are you getting some form of consistent, enjoyable exercise - walking, biking, treadmill, exercise classes, etc.? I would see if you can schedule a "conference" with your dr. It takes more than just giving an individual a band and fill to help them be successful. He is being paid for his services and can be courteous enough to answer your ?? when you've taken time out of your busy day to come to his office. Have them written down so you don't get flustered by him when he comes in the room. Contrary to what they may think, they are NOT God, and they put their pants on - one leg at a time, just like everyone else does. Hang in there girl and get some answers. You'll get the nack of this!

Eli

You can have carbs but it is reccomended that you eat your Protein first, then veggies, the fruits and then if you have room your carbs..by the time you get to your carbs you are usually full. Sounds like you need to sit your Dr. down and have a heart to heart with him or find yourself a new Dr.

How much of a fill do you have now?