Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood Pressure Medicine And CPAP Use After Surgery

Wondering if many still use their CPAP Machine and take Blood Pressure Meds after surgery? Did your surgeon advise you to still use medicine after surgery and did they have you to get another sleep study done. If the surgery is a success I would think that these things are no longer in use.

My surgery was a "success" as that is measured by losing 60% or more of your excess body weight, however I still have hypertension and I am still on medication to control it. So things are hereditary and are only exasperated by weight.

Good news is I am on less medication at least and statistically about 60% of patients will get off their medication completely after surgery.

I had the sleeve done 12/11/18 and will be having another sleep study done in 3-6 months as I will likely no longer need the CPAP at that point. My follow-up with pulmonologist is in March and then we'll schedule sleep study. My blood pressure is already improved so I probably won't need medicine for it much longer either.

I stopped taking my BP meds one week after the surgery because it was dropping my BP too low. My blood pressure has been normal so far. I love my CPAP and I'm not giving it away!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, Trellunit said:

Wondering if many still use their CPAP Machine and take Blood Pressure Meds after surgery? Did your surgeon advise you to still use medicine after surgery and did they have you to get another sleep study done. If the surgery is a success I would think that these things are no longer in use.

DAY AFTER SURGERY I STOPPED TAKING BP pills I GET CHECKED EVERY MONTH AND DR NO LONGER SEES A REASON TO TAKE THEM I DONT KNOW ABOUT CPAP MACHINE NEVER HAD ONE PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE

I was off both around 1 month post op. My doc stopped the blood pressure meds and I decided to stop CPAP therapy. CPAP had been helpful, but shortly after surgery I felt like it was actually starting to keep me awake, so I quit using it.

I had to quit my BP med a week after surgery. I hope I can quit my CPAP at some point. I know most people have to get the pressure readjusted as they lose weight.

Woke up this AM with a dry sore throat, put Uncle Snuffly the C Pap back on, and I do feel more relaxed and can breathe better. Doesn't matter if I look like a fat Spacewoman, I do think I feel better now!

I stopped my BP pills after surgery and just monitored my BP as my PCP advised. I have had no issues with my blood pressure and it remained stable after surgery. I also use my CPAP religiously and have been using it for over 10 years. I am glad you brought up this topic because it reminded me that I need to make an appointment to get checked out again by a pulmonologist. I had quit smoking 2 years ago and now that I am loosing the weight, I hope that I can get off the machine myself. After so many years of being on CPAP it would definetely feel strange not to have to use it anymore.

I'm off my blood pressure meds and I am 9 months post op! im retesting for sleep apnea tonight at home! so hopefully i don't have it anymore. I stopped using the machine anyway a few months after surgery. I hated it.

Thank you for the information I would also like to know what home sleep study you use and how it goes. Thank you

its called resmed

Okay I will look into that I believe my CPAP is resmed

It depends highly on the patient. Re BP meds, I am still on a very low dose of Cozaar, where once I was on a high-octane cocktail of 4 BP meds. Re CPAP, I still have sleep apnea that needs to be treated, but I may be able to use a mouth guard instead of a CPAP (I'll have a sleep study to confirm that in March or April).

Good information like you said I will monitor it and see what happens after surgery. Everyone is different