Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI Goal: is your BMI goal to be healthy or overweight?

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

I'm hoping to stay in the 26-28 range. I was anecdotally told that people in this category live longer-term than lower BMI ranges. For me that is still overweight/obese. So I hope it's true in my case for sure

My BMI is currently 25.4 and I’m definitely still FAT.

Awwwww I feel your pain keenly. Seriously Y'all know idc about the look of fat or skinny ...
I just want to be healthy and have the flat stomach of a virgin. Sorry not sorry

[emoji738]

BMI is not a good way to go.

BMI does not take into account each person's DNA and body structure and build.

I've done the BMI for my goal weight and yes it still says obese my goal weight is right on the edge of healthy but I know for a fact I'd be very unhealthy if I was in the lower range BMI healthy I'd have to lose a further 20lbs below my goal weight.

I'm currently 320 but I'm big bone and 6ft or 183cm I know for a fact my perfect range is 180-190 but 180 is healthy but 190 is obese which is dumb because I know 180 is probably lowest I'd want to be.... BMI calculator shows my goal of 180 as right at the end of the healthy range.......

I’m 2.8 lbs away from being overweight and I’m not stopping there! My goal is a normal BMI!

I set my initial goal weight at 145 which would put me right around a BMI of 24. I do want to get to that weight but the last time I was there I was in high school and I was "skinny fat". Basically, I was thin but I never exercised and ate crappy, not strong or muscular, etc.

So, now I'm 104 lbs down, with still 72 lbs to go. I weight train 4x weekly and have great muscle retention per my team. I think I'm going to be waaaay too thin at 145. I'm going to do it and see when I get there. But if I have to fight tooth and nail to maintain that weight once I get there even when sticking to my plan, that tells me it's too low.

Right now, I fit easily into my wedding dress and I currently weigh 25lbs MORE than I did when I originally wore it. And it was snug. We shall see what happens!

The BMI chart is complete bull. I feel it would all have us completely emaciated at our lowest weight. I think we should go by our body type or frame and how we feel.

On 02/09/2019 at 19:56, Naughty Glitter Goddess said:

I set my initial goal weight at 145 which would put me right around a BMI of 24. I do want to get to that weight but the last time I was there I was in high school and I was "skinny fat". Basically, I was thin but I never exercised and ate crappy, not strong or muscular, etc.

So, now I'm 104 lbs down, with still 72 lbs to go. I weight train 4x weekly and have great muscle retention per my team. I think I'm going to be waaaay too thin at 145. I'm going to do it and see when I get there. But if I have to fight tooth and nail to maintain that weight once I get there even when sticking to my plan, that tells me it's too low.

Right now, I fit easily into my wedding dress and I currently weigh 25lbs MORE than I did when I originally wore it. And it was snug. We shall see what happens!

Even though I’m still at the beginning of this journey (4 weeks post-op) I’ve already dropped 2 full clothes sizes and I’ve only lost 26 pounds.
When I’ve lost weight in the past, I would typically need to be about 5-8 pounds lighter to be wearing my current clothing.
Sadly I’ve been such a yo-yo dieter over the last 20 years that I literally could have picked any outfit and tell you what weight range each outfit required.
It’s weird how the loss this time seems to be rearranging my fat distribution this time around.
It can’t be any kind of exercise I’ve done because it’s all been too recent and I just got cleared for exercise 1 week ago.

Anyway, back to the original topic: I’m 5’7” and have an average-to-large bone structure. When I’m thinner, my body tends to curves with most of my weight being carried in bust, hips, and thighs. My surgery date weight was 244 so I figured I had approximately 100-110 pounds extra fat.
Based off of those numbers and taking my natural body type into consideration, I should shoot for somewhere between 155-165. Now this makes me need to lose about 80-90% excess fat, which is difficult to do, but I’m motivated to see how close I can get.

I am 5’9 with size 12 feet , and started at 238 with a bmi of 35. Am 189 now and the skinniest I ever was as an adult was 168. Shooting for. That, maybe a little lower for a 25 BMI. We shall see , already some excess skin..

5ft 8 in, size 12 feet, as I lose weight feet are narrowing but getting shorter? Don't think so, some people say they do, IDK about that. Highest W 365+ , surgery weight 319 on September 5th 2018, current W 242 at 6 months, my dream goal/ size is 175 Or Size 15 Junior and that would still be on cusp of overweight/ obese by BMI standards, I will be truly grateful to be below 200 pounds, maybe 195? Spent too many years hating the Frustr8 I was, I will be grateful for what I. CAN ACHEIVE st 73 years old. The last time I was at 195 and yes, it has been years ago, although I looked a large/average it wasn't that,bad for me. I gave up on looking like TinkerBelle and Peter Pan long ago. At 195 I had good defination of my body parts, no snide little kid came up to me and asked " Are you a Lady or Fat?" wanted to tell him to go play in traffic or worse, but after I reach 195 I still want to lose those last 20 pounds it will be my choice, not some arbitrary size someone else set up, and being in control, oh THAT means the world to me. Too much of my life was spent conforming to others standards, not talking back, believing the line Nobody could like me for me, I was just an extention of family members, someone's daughter, wife, mother and that should be my goal in life. Why did I believe that stack of hooey? I was raised to be sunservient, a husband . was my only goal, once you got one, no matter the model, you never let them go, if you were emotionally or even physically battered, you sucked it up for the greater good, as long as bones weren't broken, you wore long sleeves, covered bruises with make up , you were female, it was all you deserved.
Someone on here accused me of desiring martyrdoom, nope, I just didn't realize there was another way to live. And if someone on TV was also battered I was told " See you're not so bad off, you're warm and fed! Yeah and food was my friend and comfort when nothing and no one else was. It was far easier to become a widow than to get a divorce from food!
But I am stronger, albeit older, braver, I can and will stand up in a diminishing size body, and it is my choice finally not somebody elses, and Surprise Surprise most people like ME for ME, not somebody's extention , Frustr8 is really cool on her own , those who don't, well I wish them well on their own journey and trials for like Popeye I Yam what I Yam and it more than suffices in my World!👉😝👈

I do not have a BMI goal honestly. Mostly because I will always be overweight according to BMI. I feel BMI is totally unfair for anyone with muscle mass and a non-slender frame. I’d have to be 190 lbs to be “normal weight.” That will never happen. I’d say my skeleton along weighs 90-100 lbs.

The BMI chart is outdated and not a good measure of whether or not you’re healthy. I dropped down to wearing a size 6 and was still “overweight”. It’s BS

I like it. 🤪🥳🥰😂 But I’m just incredibly average—so it actually is applicable to me. I played along with my Mom’s opinion that I was just “big boned” all my life until I had the surgery and lost a ton of weight and discovered I wasn’t. LOL, the big fat lie was exposed. I’m average and trying to get into normal. 🍾🍾🍾