Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI Goal: is your BMI goal to be healthy or overweight?

I am 5 months post-op. I have lost 67 pounds (currently I weigh 168lbs), but I am still obese! Ugh!

What’s ur BMI? I am adamant I will get to healthy BMI and stay there

I want to get into the "healthy" category of BMI, which means about 85 more pounds for me

BMI is a flawed system of measurement---I am sure you have heard that multiple times. It is however a good estimation tool as where you should be. Not so great if you are a serious body builder. But most of us are not.

My personal goal is 175 lbs. which is still overweight for me in terms of BMI. My surgeon's goal for me is between 165-179. Why? Because you have to account for 10 pounds of loose skin that ain't going nowhere without surgery, also body frame counts. Measure your wrists, there are charts on the Internet that can help you identify if you are "big boned" --yes, that is really a thing. People with a larger frame can usually get away with an extra 10 pounds above their max healthy BMI.

And lastly, there are multiple ways to measure health. How is your blood pressure, your triglycerides, sugar? Pain in you feet, knees? Can you jog around the block a few times without stopping? All these are a much better indicator of health than a number on a scale.

🏽All best.

My current goal weight is in the overweight range (being healthier was the initial goal), however, as I progress there is some vanity creeping in. I don't have crankles but below my knees on the inside of my legs above my calves are a couple of fat pads that I would like to lose to give some shape to my legs. I suspect I would need to get below my goal weight to achieve that.

Not even sure why, I don't even wear skirts or dresses, and very rarely would wear shorts, and I can't believe I chose a dress as one of my goal outfits.

Ultimately if I get to my initial goal weight that's great, any more than that will be a bonus.

4 minutes ago, YeahOkay31 said:

BMI is a flawed system of measurement---I am sure you have heard that multiple times. It is however a good estimation tool as where you should be. Not so great if you are a serious body builder. But most of us are not.

My personal goal is 175 lbs. which is still overweight for me in terms of BMI. My surgeon's goal for me is between 165-179. Why? Because you have to account for 10 pounds of loose skin that ain't going nowhere without surgery, also body frame counts. Measure your wrists, there are charts on the Internet that can help you identify if you are "big boned" --yes, that is really a thing. People with a larger frame can usually get away with an extra 10 pounds above their max healthy BMI.

And lastly, there are multiple ways to measure health. How is your blood pressure, your triglycerides, sugar? Pain in you feet, knees? Can you jog around the block a few times without stopping? All these are a much better indicator of health than a number on a scale.

🏽All best.

Well said!

Yes I would accept overweight, at 73 I may never reach what BMI cells Healthy or Normal, my desire is to leave Morbidly Obese far far Behind. Existed in that range for years, I want to be merely Overweight and have a chance to Truly Live!🙆🙅💁🙋💆💇👰🙎🙍

Nope. Nope. Nope. I didn't work this hard and come this far to settle for a, "Congratulations Ms. Fluffy! You are now officially overweight!" from my surgeon and docs. I want to be smack in the middle of the healthy zone and I don't care how flawed the BMI system is. It is the system currently used by the insurance and medical professions at this point in time. So it's the one I will use. I also am only average. So theoretically the charts apply to me. I'm def not an elite athlete, nor a body builder.

I recognize that I've come very far, but I will not allow myself to rationalize that it's "OK, to stop while still overweight."

I too want to be in the middle of my healthy zone. No matter how long it takes! I am hoping i get darn close to it by the time i have the ballroom competition in september!

My goal is to be healthy and achieve a weight that I can maintain for life. When I was in my teens and twenties, I was considered overweight for my height. I was 120 lbs, my doctor wasn't concerned because I was very athletic. Ran track, weight lifting etc. I had a lot of muscle. Gone now!! As I get closer to goal, I'll discuss this with my MD.

My goal is 175, and, based on my BMI, I will still be overweight at that point. Oh well! lol

I know enough about myself to know that if I set a goal and don't attain it, I'll feel like an utter failure. So, my first goal is to lose 60% EWL, so I'm gunning to be average. My second goal is still in the overweight range, but it was the point I really started to feel like I was really heavy (even though looking back I looked good). And I've also set a hopeful goal which I won't feel bad if I don't meet, which is a point where I felt comfortable with myself when I was in my late 20s/early 30s. It is above the "normal" weight range, but I tend to be really muscular and I looked good at that size. When I was in my teens I lost a LOT of weight and looked terrible. Even as a teenager I looked bad at those lower weights. I can't imagine what it would look like on a 40-something woman with extra skin (looking back, I realize how unhealthy it was for my mother to consistently put me on a diet so I'd be in the lower end of healthy BMI).

I don't have a goal weight at this time. I want to be fit and healthy and I want my lap back. I want to see how far I can go and where I can maintain comfortably. Not having to take any meds would be nice.

I read all the literature that said average 50-60% excess weight loss, about 30kg for me. Aiming for that. Wondering if I'm likely to go further. Trying to do the right things to make that a possibility.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I do not see the point of putting oneself through the stress and trauma and expense of a procedure like this to then settle for the mediocre.

AIM for the stars.

I saw my dietician on Tuesday. She looked at me and basically intimated that my weight is fine. WTF I'm 2 weeks post op I think I have some more to lose. So I asked her what BMI I should be aiming for, she then did a cal that put me right at the top of the healthy range!!!!!! I told her that I would be far more comfortable with a figure a lot lower than that, similar to what i was when i lost the weight when I was first banded. She didn't say a lot but did say that as you get older it is healthier to be at the high end of the recommended BMI - great coming from a 30 something person that is so skinny that if she turns sideways you struggle to see her! Well I'm not there yet and I will be doing my best to try and achieve a BMI of around 22.