Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post OP question

At this stage you are supposed to be on mushy/puree food. You can eat the deli chicken so long as you blend it to a puree consistency first.

What have you been told by your nutritionist?

There is a difference between physically able and properly following post surgical guidelines.

Not following post surgical guidelines can put you at risk for injury.

If you are unsure if a food is safe regarding your surgeons guidelines you should call your team. If you are seeking permission from strangers online to eat outside dietary guidelines post op, you are an adult and it is unnecessary.

I don't know why people rush into solids.. you need to stay with liquids as long as you can to allow your new pouch to adjust if you start eating th wrong thing so soon is not good deli meat is processed badly

Actually there is new evidence that shows staying on liquids too long may cause problems.

On 2/9/2019 at 12:11 PM, elcee said:

Actually there is new evidence that shows staying on liquids too long may cause problems.

I’d like to know more about this? Link?

There doesn’t seem to be a lot on the net probably because most Drs are very conservative. I did however find this

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26071241

Interestingly patients that go overseas to Asia seem to be put onto solids straight after surgery.

Well the way I've interpreted things is to give your new pouch and tract time to heal and not to just shove solid food straight into a newly created pouch and system. Give it time to get used to each consistency and texture slowly. Also the less you eat at the start the better chance you'll feel full quicker than if you go to solids, so when it's my turn I'll be taking my time I've already bought some good whey Protein to live off the first month, the doctors always say protein and Water is most important the first month food is just fuel so why rush going straight to big meals and foods. If I can train my body to get full off protein that's great, if I could live without eating I would just live off shakes and Vitamins :) :) easy as. But I guess everyone has their own ideas and at the end of the day they are responsible for their own success or failure!

16 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

Well the way I've interpreted things is to give your new pouch and tract time to heal and not to just shove solid food straight into a newly created pouch and system. Give it time to get used to each consistency and texture slowly. Also the less you eat at the start the better chance you'll feel full quicker than if you go to solids, so when it's my turn I'll be taking my time I've already bought some good whey Protein to live off the first month, the doctors always say Protein and Water is most important the first month food is just fuel so why rush going straight to big meals and foods. If I can train my body to get full off protein that's great, if I could live without eating I would just live off shakes and Vitamins :) :) easy as. But I guess everyone has their own ideas and at the end of the day they are responsible for their own success or failure!

When you have chosen a surgeon and started the process for real you may find that some of your thoughts and interpretations do not match with theirs. It is pointless rushing out and buying things now when you don't know what your team's recommendations are going to be.

Living off shakes and Vitamins is not very healthy, the aim is to get as much nutrition as possible from proper healthy food.