Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fantastic surgeon for anyone in Michigan

I just hit my 4 month surgeriversary, and I have had the most wonderful experience so far, and I believe it all started with my choice of surgeon, Dr. Scott Laker out of West Bloomfield, MI.

I've never worked with a physician who is so kind and caring, and he will stay and answer your questions, no matter how many or how long. He genuinely seems to care about his patients. The pre-op diet was fantastic; instead of quitting everything immediately and trying to eat healthy, he had me change one substantial thing a month. I can't tell you how much that really helped. The first month was to eat a pound of veggies a day, the second was to eliminate sugars and artificial sweeteners, the third was removing processed foods, and so on. It just made it so easy!

Although I was a big girl (259 pounds, BMI 42), he wasn't worried about any weight loss in the 6 months prior to surgery. All I had to really do was focus on following the particular change for the month while continuing to incorporate the prior months changes as well. I did have to do a very mild liver shrinking diet the week before surgery, but even that was no problem. A shake for Breakfast and lunch, a sensible dinner, and there was a whole list of veggies I could eat to my heart's content. I love veggies, so that was perfect for me.

The day of surgery came and he visited me beforehand, very relaxed and ready to go. My surgery was done exceptionally quickly and he spoke with my husband afterwards at great length to let him know how everything went. Only had to stay the night in the hospital and then it was off to home. He came in on Saturday to visit with me as well before I was discharged. Again, he was in no hurry to leave and only did so after he was certain that all of my questions/concerns had been answered completely.

I was eating/drinking before I ever left the hospital and continued to do so at home. No nausea, no gas pain (he did a really good job getting it all out of me)... I have had absolutely no problems of any kind. I never thought it would be this easy.

No problems transitioning through the food stages, and I've had no problems eating anything. And to this day I still follow the guidelines that I learned in pre-op; no bad food has re-entered my life and I'm on track. As of this morning when I weighed myself, I'm in onderland at 198 pounds!! Yay, me!

I've been back into see him for my 6 weeks, 1 month, and 3 month appointments. And every time I've been in it's always been the same... we talk for a very long time, he completely answers any questions I have and is in no hurry. His main goal is to make sure I'm happy and good. And I most definitely am!!

There are no words to tell any of you how wonderful he is. Yes, I know it's a joint effort. He did the surgery and the rest of it is on me. But because he is the kind and caring surgeon that he is, and because he has answered so many questions and provided so much knowledge, my success is absolutely hingent upon his participation. I have no doubt if I had seen a different physician that my success would be different. Maybe better, maybe worse. But I wouldn't hesitate to go through this journey with him again, and if any of you are pre-op, in this area, and looking for a fantastic surgeon, please check him out. You won't be disappointed at all.

Hi Kara,

Thank you for making this post. I have been researching of WL doctors in the Detroit area and came upon Dr. Laker. Coming the 25th this month I go to see him and talk things out. So I feel I am starting my journey in the right direction already.

Again thanks for taking the time to post this, and good luck on the rest of your weight loss/new life journey!

Cheers, Mae

I'm so happy you're going to be seeing him, he is phenomenal!! I go for my 6 month follow up April 15th and am really looking forward to it.

Have all of your questions ready, and don't hesitate to ask anything. Kim, his nurse, is fantastic as well. They are both very approachable and caring people.

I am glad to hear you have had such a fantastic experience with your surgeon! That is super important.

I personally had Dr. Holman based out of Grand Rapids, MI, and both she and her entire staff have been amazing. I would highly recommend them if any of you need someone in the West MI area. (: