Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horrible pain and discomfort

Has anyone had trouble, especially after eating, the feeling of food getting stuck and extremely slow going down? I know I'm chewing my food properly but it feels like a build up of pressure that I can't release and it causes me to panic a little. Today I had to literally bang my back against a wall to burp. After about 5 minutes of walking and banging my back I felt better. I don't think this is dumping but I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes. Especially when I was early stages post-op. It was tricky learning capacity.. and breaking the habit of being able to eat a bunch. Your insides are still pretty swollen and that’s what causes you to feel that tightness so quickly. If you feel that- it means you are full and should give your body time to digest.

It does go away after the first few months!

Maybe it is just too soon to go "fishing"🐟Was the dude what done you in? Just throw him back in the lake and catch him another day!

11 hours ago, NIKKIBEVERLY said:

I only ate two small bites of baked fish. I'm not sure if it was because they were shark bites and the texture is a little thick or maybe my new system just can't handle that kind of fish. I have a hard time with shrimp too.

The food got stuck! It happens to me when i do not chew well enough. I am sticking to softer foods until i can learn to chew to the point of paste.

I think it's certain foods that do it. I can't have bread yet and when I tried eating a soft taco, the tortilla felt "stuck" and I threw up the foamies. I can't do certain textures yet like steak or dense hamburger. I'm just 7 weeks post-op so I know this will change as time goes on and I just avoid those foods now.

I was having similar experiences. Feeling the sensation of food getting stuck or not being able to swallow pulls the same. I mentioned it to my nutritionist and Dr. and he scheduled a endoscopy. They did a balloon dilation. Feeling a lot better now although I now have two additional medications to take. Not to scare anyone but always err on the side of caution and let your Dr. know soonest.

Sent from my SM-J727P using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm at almost a year since my surgery and this happens all the time to me, I thought it was normal. I go for my year appointment on February 5th and I will mention it.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks everyone for responding. It happened again today while I was eating a food I thought I was okay eating. I had my coworker pound my back several times and I was able to burp which was great. Once I burped the pain subsided. It's a shame I have to be burped like a baby

Didn't you feel like the world's largest 3 m9nth old? BUT,glad you had someone to help out, it continues sometimes to remain a learning process as time goes by.

Believe it or not I had this BEFORE my surgery but not a single time after. I ended up have a hernia pulling my stomach into my diaphragm that was only discovered during the bypass surgery. The thing that helped me (when I was home) was to do a few big hard jumps to shake the gob of food loose. Like I would just jump in the air and come down hard on my feet. The bites weren't even that big and I wouldn't know anything was stuck until I drank Water.

Believe it or not I had this BEFORE my surgery but not a single time after. I ended up have a hernia pulling my stomach into my diaphragm that was only discovered during the bypass surgery. The thing that helped me (when I was home) was to do a few big hard jumps to shake the gob of food loose. Like I would just jump in the air and come down hard on my feet. The bites weren't even that big and I wouldn't know anything was stuck until I drank Water.< br>
I will try this method if I have another issue...they thought I had hernia problems before surgery but when the doctor went in he said he didn't see anything wrong...

I’m experiencing this right now! And I’m still on liquids only. My surgery was Thursday. Even with just Water I feel like it is stuck right in the pit of of my chest and not going any further. [emoji17]
This issue with the surgery sucks but everything else is great. I hope your problem gets better.