Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does this look infected?

Hey everyone! Just checking in to get your all's opinion, do you all think this wound looks infected? Yesterday I noticed a drop or two of pus coming from the wound, and so I immediately went to the emergency room where they said that wasn't quite normal but my infection values weren't high nor did I have any kind of fever so they said just to keep it clean and watch it. Tonight it seems to have gotten a bit worse and now it looks like it has more pus and also feels a bit more painful. There's not a whole lot of redness around it that wasn't there before, but I don't know if I should go back again in the morning? Does this look in any way normal? I had my surgery on the 15th of this month.IMG_20190128_035845.jpeg

Sent from my H60-L04 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but just the fact that some pus came out... I would say it doesn't look right. My opinion is... rather safe the sorry! I would say if it stays the same or worsens, go back to the doctor.

When I got an infection after my hip surgery, I called my surgeon and then sent him a picture (I won't say how carefully I had to take that picture so that I didn't inadvertently send my doc a dirty pic, given where my incision was!). He was able to diagnose and prescribe some antibiotics just from seeing the pic. I wonder if your surgeon could do the same? Worth calling in.

Yes. Call your doc. That redness and yellow crustyness looks like an infected wound to me.

Nothing to take lightly, you don't want to get sicker, I would go back, sometimes you have to fight for yourself when someone says it's minor. Sing them an aria , make them listen to you!

I agree with above.

I would contact your surgeon office. I would not hang out around an Emergency Room unless absolutely necessary right now.

I would call your surgeon and let them know and see if they can see you or give you the best advice to follow.

Might be something as simple as Bacitracin or Neosporin application. If I was the surgeon I would remove the stitch, clean and drain it, maybe even pack it, but I'm probably more of an interventionist than your surgeon, that's why he has the degrees, license, and I am only a humble medical geek on the internet. But it does look wicked bad!

Does not look infected to me. It's dry, no drainage. It's red only at the site.

3 hours ago, Myhorseisfattoo said:

Does not look infected to me. It's dry, no drainage. It's red only at the site.

It doesn't look infected to me either. There is some odd coloring, but based solely on the photo, it doesn't look like pus; it looks more like something hard, like it's trying to heal.

There was pus and blood coming out of it, but it just can't be seen in the picture since I didn't take a picture of that directly unfortunately. Just as an update, I did go back to the hospital and they put me on an antibiotic just in case, Kefalexin, or however you spell it. Some of the dissolvable stitches fell out as well today and beneath them it was very oozy in some spots. :/

Sent from my H60-L04 using BariatricPal mobile app

12 hours ago, marilindiaz said:

You should put some neosporin

I would if I knew the Neosporin equivalent here. :P I've asked my nurses, but none of them know what it is. I could try to research the active ingredients though and see if I come up with anything!

2 minutes ago, LustyDraconianMaid said:

I would if I knew the Neosporin equivalent here. :P I've asked my nurses, but none of them know what it is. I could try to research the active ingredients though and see if I come up with anything!

It is antibiotic ointment. A lot of places don't have it because they don't believe it really works. I remember a doctor telling me i was mad for using it when I lived overseas.