Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days post-op and hungry??????

Hi everyone. I am glad to find this forum. I had my surgery last Thursday. I am 6 days out and I feel hungry...almost all the time. I have yet to feel super full. I have not been nauseous at all and no heartburn, I am grateful for both of those things. The first 2 days after surgery were painful but the last few days I've felt good. I have heard people say that they are not hungry in the beginning but I am. My stomach feels empty. I ended up eating an egg today and I was able to eat the whole thing no problem. I have also heard people say there was no way they could eat a whole egg. I am starting to think that the Dr. didn't make my stomach small enough.

Anyone else hungry their first week and able to eat more than you thought you'd be able to?

Kathryn

I'm 16 days post op and I tell ya, that one week point hit me hard too. It's like my stomach was feeling better and the real hunger kicked in. The puree food helps in week 2, but week 3 soft food(I'm 16 days out now) has me more satisfied and I'm not obsessing about food so much. What I'm trying to say is it gets better, just hang in there a little longer. Oh and I too can eat the recommended 2oz serving for this stage and still be really hungry, so I was wondering the same thing. lol

Today I finally started my food journal, I'm going to keep track of what I eat to help me stay accountable. This is what I ate today, It's whats working for me and I was satisfied.

Day 16
8am 8oz Unjury choc protien shake
11am 1tbsp lowfat cottage cheese
whole banana
3pm light string cheese
4oz protien sf jello
9pm 4oz ground sour kraut
6oz Campbell's Tomato Soup (sipped over time)

Some hunger is only natural. I get "hungry" about every 3 hours but I can only eat 2 oz at a time, so it's really not much. Don't worry, your stomach size is fine, it's just a transition period from having nothing to having liquids to thinking about food because you can't have it. Now that I'm six weeks post-op and having regular food, I'm still eating very, very small portions and losing weight, so it's all good even if I am eating frequently.

I am not a good one to ask because I've gotten so hungry I had an egg and last night I ate some of my kids chicken breast. I know I'm not supposed to, but the chicken breast is the first time I felt full, not stuffed but full. I don't know how many Protein Shakes I should have. By like 1pm I've had 60 grams of Protein. I have my follow up next week so I'll see what they suggest.

I have a coffee Protein Shake for breakfast-20grams

A Premier Protein water-20grams

Premier shake for lunch-20grams.......so by 1 I'm at 60...can you have too much protein in a day.

Good luck

I’m literally going through the same thing. I think they just looked into my stomach and patched me up. Has anybody went through this and like later down the road as they progressed they got full? Maybe it’s just the egg and crackers that’s not having me full. Maybe when at the stage when I can eat whatever I’ll be full? Idk

I’m starting purées on Wednesday but the hunger is constant and never ending. I’m honestly really disheartened. I’m just sick about the fact that I feel NO different in terms of appetite after surgery. I know my doctor is very good and I’m sure he did a good job but I hate my body right now. I’m scared that I’m going to nibble my way through this damn bypass if I can’t stop feeling hungry all the time. This is legit stomach hunger not head hunger. Today I just feel defeated

21 minutes ago, jasmineinmymind said:

I’m starting purées on Wednesday but the hunger is constant and never ending. I’m honestly really disheartened. I’m just sick about the fact that I feel NO different in terms of appetite after surgery. I know my doctor is very good and I’m sure he did a good job but I hate my body right now. I’m scared that I’m going to nibble my way through this damn bypass if I can’t stop feeling hungry all the time. This is legit stomach hunger not head hunger. Today I just feel defeated

I start purées Wednesday also but I have zero hunger. Still have some soreness and bloating so perhaps that’s why. What are you drinking in a day ?

31 minutes ago, CurvyMom said:

I start purées Wednesday also but I have zero hunger. Still have some soreness and bloating so perhaps that’s why. What are you drinking in a day ?

I drink just about everything. Water, Premier shakes and drinks, tea, broth, thinned Soups. Everything thats allowed. I have no restriction it seems. I only stop "eating" because of the amount I measure out, not because I'm full. and I am meeting my liquid and Protein goals daily

3 minutes ago, jasmineinmymind said:

I drink just about everything. Water, Premier shakes and drinks, tea, broth, thinned Soups. Everything thats allowed. I have no restriction it seems. I only stop "eating" because of the amount I measure out, not because I'm full. and I am meeting my liquid and Protein goals daily

I’m having the same except Soups but I only measure to track and make sure I get my fluids in. I don’t limit myself. I figure the more Water the better. I don’t ever really feel full either but I am not hungry. If I drink too fast though I know it. Or too big of a sip. But nothing tells my mind that I am full. My stomach maybe still too sore and swollen but I am just trying to stay hydrated at this point. Because every morning I wake up and want to chug a bottle of water I am so thirsty lol

I saw the nutritionist 2 days ago and confessed to my egg, chicken, and lentil eating. I was scared but she said that it was fine. If I can tolerate it then no problem. I am staying away from carbs and I've heard chips and crackers are easy to eat with a sleeve and can mess up weight loss so I am staying far away from them. Tonight I made lentil Soup in my instanpot and it was delicious. I like lentils because they have Protein and also a lot of Fiber so a little is filling and can help with going potty. Eating a lot of protein is supposed to satisfy hunger longer than carbs.

10 hours ago, KMac2018 said:

I saw the nutritionist 2 days ago and confessed to my egg, chicken, and lentil eating. I was scared but she said that it was fine. If I can tolerate it then no problem. I am staying away from carbs and I've heard chips and crackers are easy to eat with a sleeve and can mess up weight loss so I am staying far away from them. Tonight I made lentil Soup in my instanpot and it was delicious. I like lentils because they have Protein and also a lot of Fiber so a little is filling and can help with going potty. Eating a lot of Protein is supposed to satisfy hunger longer than carbs.

Do you have a recipe for the Soup? I would like to make that......

So I woke up 4 days after surgery ready to eat my arm ! This after having no interest for the previous days . It is just ur stomach waking up . I did cottage cheese, yogurt and Soup and what really has helped (and I am now 7 weeks out ) is having a smoothie in the am with unsweetened almond milk(30 cal) Protein Powder and 1/2 of a banana that is sliced and frozen . Bananas really help to get that full but not overly stuffed feeling so I can go off and exercise . Ur sleeve will work when u eat real food but I found that during the liquid and purée phase I was more hungry more often because they just slid through quickly . I was easily eating 800 calories but then had a hard time getting over 500 with real food . Parameters from my doc are 600-800 cal, over 60g of Protein and under 60g of carb . Avoid sugar . I am exercising a lot lately and getting 800-1000 now , but till losing (when I drink enough Water )

1 hour ago, CurvyMom said:

Do you have a recipe for the Soup? I would like to make that......

Vegan, Gluten-Free

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or oil of choice)

• 1 medium onion, diced

• 2 cloves garlic, minced

• 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger

• 2 teaspoons curry powder

• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

• 1 cup red lentils

• 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice

• 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth

• 1 teaspoon sea salt + more to taste

• Freshly cracked black pepper

• 1-2 teaspoons maple Syrup (optional)

• For serving: coconut yogurt and fresh cilantro

Directions

1. Select the Sauté setting on your Instant Pot and heat up the coconut oil. Once it's shimmering, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly softened.

2. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder and turmeric and stir until aromatic, about 30 seconds.

3. Add the lentils, sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, sea salt, and pepper. Stir to combine all of the ingredients. Select the Cancel setting.

4. Secure the lid of the Instant Pot and seal. Select the Pressure Cook (or Manual, depending on your model) setting and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.

5. Once the 10 minutes is up, allow a natural pressure release for 10 minutes. Open the Instant Pot and give the Soup a stir. Taste for seasonings. You may want to add more salt, or to balance the acidity, you may want to add a teaspoon or two of maple syrup or sugar.

6. Once the soup has slightly cooled, top with coconut yogurt and fresh cilantro.

I added carrots and celery. It looks kinda gross but it was really tasty. I added a lot of salt...he he and I did add maple syrup