Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TMI question re. vomiting

Sorry this is a gross question. Pre surgery when you vomit it is often a large amount and is not discreet to anyone nearby or in the public bathroom you could be in. After surgery you eat once a few ounces. Is it still obvious if you get sick or is it more discreet? I'm guessing its not projectile and not as obvious. I'm just wondering it seems like a lot of people vomit after surgery at some point at work, out in public etc and I am wondering how obvious it is to coworkers etc.

depends on what happens. after surgery twice my stomach rejected what i ate.. the first time.. my head was over a garbage can at work in the middle of the day for an hour and a half.. producing what is so famously called here the foamies.. It is nothing but white foam.. and mucus like vomit.. no acid, no food.. nothing.. the second time was a short foamie issue. From what i hear it is when your stomach does not like what you ate and decides to put you through hell for a short time or a long visit.

I've had "the foamies" twice when trying to eat something that didn't agree with me but it was controllable and not urgent, so while in the restroom at the restaurant I was able to wait until it was clear before I had to spit up. "The foamies" isn't like throwing up food, it's just foamy mucus-like stuff and it's very short-lived, just a couple of spit-ups and it's over.

You're lucky elves, I have had foamies, I have had urp-ups. and a couple times I felt such pain I thought my pouch would involute out my mouth. No, not projectile vomiting, more like a cat retching up a hairball, I'm a RnY so that's the kind I know. Not sure if my sleeved brothers and sisters do the same way or not.
One blessing , if one can regard it as such, my food reflexes and refluxs up so quickly it has no odor. The longest mine has stayed down is a half hour or so. I have upchucked all kinds of stuff, even Water. To Many bystanders it probably looks like a coughing spell. Just another facet to why I am on TPN, Dr Needlemans nurse thought I had progressed to Stage 4 and truly that is where I should be but until everything straightens out if I attempt anything p.o.(by mouth) it is liquids or very thin purees. Only thing not that variety is unsweetened applesauce. This is per Dr Noria, my surgeons partner who is also my endoscopist. This Friday will be my 5th with her and 8th lifetime. I really respect her as well as liking her very much. And I believe I may still have my healing occur, this is just a bump in my road to final ✌ victory. I will be starting tomights feeding in just a few minutes, I am 12 hours on, 12 hours off, have blood labs once a week, only deficiency I have and it is mild, is Iron. I will call OSU in the morning, they were shut down for Martin Luther King Day, find out whether I can address this over-& the -counter or whether I need a prescription. But it still is a fine world, no regrets except I wish my body behaved better, but I would never go back to before surgery,this life still better than life before. I will always be grateful to my facility Ohio State University Hospital- Wexner Medical Center, my wonderful skillful surgeon 😷
Bradley J Needleman M.D. and most of all to God who made everything possible. A great thing was done for me September 5th 2018 and I am proud of the person I now am becoming, I am. truly a wonderful work in progress. 😝

2 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

Sorry this is a gross question. Pre surgery when you vomit it is often a large amount and is not discreet to anyone nearby or in the public bathroom you could be in. After surgery you eat once a few ounces. Is it still obvious if you get sick or is it more discreet? I'm guessing its not projectile and not as obvious. I'm just wondering it seems like a lot of people vomit after surgery at some point at work, out in public etc and I am wondering how obvious it is to coworkers etc.

With the bypass, you don't have the stomach acid coming up with your food. If rejected, it will come right back up the same way it went down and pretty soon after you swallow it. It's not a bad experience, as a matter of fact it's a welcome event if it's not sitting well.

I was never a person that vomited before surgery, and I have not vomited after surgery either. Maybe you’ll get lucky 🍀.

Does help explain it all to you? I sure would not wish stomach uneasiness on my friends. My enemies, well ,them I don't mind them being miserable!

I’m roughly 8 weeks post-op. My Vitamins made me vomit quite a bit the first few weeks. In my experience, it was totally different from what I was used to in regards to being sick and throwing up. After surgery, I honestly feel like a baby who has just spit up. No dry heaving. No nausea. No one at work never knew the few times it did happen.

No matter what, I *never* want to be in the same room as others when I throw up, whether it's a noisy production or not!

I’m 3 months out and never puked thank goodness.

On 4/15/2019 at 5:21 AM, missranger said:

I’m roughly 8 weeks post-op. My Vitamins made me vomit quite a bit the first few weeks. In my experience, it was totally different from what I was used to in regards to being sick and throwing up. After surgery, I honestly feel like a baby who has just spit up. No dry heaving. No nausea. No one at work never knew the few times it did happen.

I'm in the process of switching Vitamins, some I tried made me feel sick too, I was surprised I didn't throw up! I just ordered the ones that taste like Starburst candy :D

And if anyone is remotely interested, I still vomit. I eat so slowly things even like Soup are ice cold at the end.
And after all these blasted scopes my stoma seems to stay strictured, the one I had on April 12th, which was about the time of last posting, Dr N swore my stoma was now patent( doctorese for open) and I should have no more dietary challenges. Ha Ha to the INTH Degree Ha! I will concede she thought she did a good job that day, as she is withdrawing the tubing she undoubtedly is mentally patting herself on the back "Good girl Sabrena, you finally got her fixed and fixed for Good!"
And my stoma, if it has a personality is snickering inside me, " Thought she fixed me, I will just snap back shut like a bear trap!" I am an obstructionist!" and of course I tried to branch out that night, and with the usual results. And Dear God I get SO TIRED of this! Now if nothing solider is going tbrough, and I must maintain on broth, soup,some pureed and Protein Shakes I will make the best of it. I am brewing my own Soups, that way I lessen the preservatives, know exactly what went in, even cooked and pureed down I don't add things I have had trouble with in the past. Try to keep things quiet enough my Vitamins minerals and ulcer/anti- nausea meds stay down, Of course those who don't know my underlying story, they are certain I am doing wonderous well. And perhaps it does look that way. Meanwhile I am wrapped around a wastebasket or with a plastic vomit bag.
Two weeks ago on a Wednesday I was having a especially rotten day, I had barely keep things down for 15 hours, worried I might be getting worse, should I go to local ER which is only marginally fluent with bariatrics, especially RNY bypass and pray they transfer me to Columbus? Well before I commited to such an action, I wanted to speak with my clinic. Oh and I wish I had never picked up the phone! Barely able to talk in between the urping and I got a nurse who accused me of Munchausing, a fancy way of saying I was claiming illness for sympathy and to be the center of the universe. She went on to tell me that I knew doggone well there was NOTHING WRONG with me and that I needed to seek help from my county's Mental health agency, now go away and stop bothering them. This while I was sitting holding a plastic washpan and and you could hear me being sick. Well I do not enjoy this state of affairs, didn't vomit up this much with 3 pregnancies, and it is not something I enjoy, but I am not crazy, and instead of wanting attention I would like to hide in a cave.
So I kept moistening my mouth frequently, late evening it started to pass over and before bed I kept down some sugar-free pudding. Better on Thursday but I still went to my PCP, took one lock at me and said Do you realize s i he I last saw you 6 weeks ago you have lost 37 pounds! Yeah no s***, would you be interested in how I did it, since Thing 1 and Thing 2 in Columbus were not? And also am I going Wacky-woo because they tried to convince me I was? Had us a little chat, first he apologized for their actions because that was his Alma Mater, something up to this point he had been proud of. And he said let me help you if they won't, I think you would benefit from seeing our local gastroenterologist, because my gut instinct is there is something else underlying. They called me first the next morning, first gave me an appointment in August, then less than a half- hour later Samantha Doctor' Nurse Practioner called back and told me Dr Upchurch would like to look internally at this, would I object to an endoscopy on the 12th of June? He agreed with my PCP_ (bless his ❤for facilitating this) that this may not be as simplistic as Thing1 and 2 thought, and the extra Cat Scan PCP sent me for at local hospital showed a puffy ileum, at the very least ilietis, and that was still a new facet or brand- New can of worms. Minor chance IBS or Crohns setting in? But don't worry, he was planning to check this all out! Isn't it odd how people drop their BP or Diabetes meds after surgery , it fixes them, meanwhile my saga and testings continue? Definitely not a run of the mill weight loss recovery! Just seems my path in life.
And now the urping kid has almost made it down to Onederland, when you started out at 365+, have lost 115 pounds since surgery 9 months ago, that part You Can Celebrate, but what a miserable unfunlike way to get there! And 9 months I was hoping to be living the Good Life, cheerfully helping the Newbees and losing my last 25 pounds to goal. Well man may propose but God disposes and not always the way you would expect.
So here I am , posting away, I already threw up once today but am trying to stay quiet and minimize the chances of doing it again. And I HOPE Dr Upchurch has good news but I kinda doubt it and I don't have an appointment scheduled with either Dr Needleman or Valerie, his head Nurse-Practioner until Mid-August, is this Benign Neglect or do they just not care anymore? And until, Thing 1 and Thing 2 raised their little heads, I loved and respected every -body in Columbus at the Bariatric Clinic. Those 2 better lay low when I do go back, I could forget Mama raised me to be a lady, eventually I may forgive but Frustr8 NEVER Forgets, especially people who do not have her best interests at ❤! I have lived too long to be so disrespected!