Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

One would think that after drinking Protein Shakes since before Halloween that we would learn what is good and not good by now.. LOL Nope.. This is a case of I settled! I settled for less.. but no more! :) Today for the first time ever i made my shake with milk instead of water.. What a difference!!!! We will constantly be learning.. Why did i make it with milk today? Because for lunch i had ham/pickle/cream cheese roll ups.. and come to find out it was only 1g of Protein LOL.. Shows you how much i planned today.. I just assumed it would have more.. but because i flopped that I needed additional protein in my shake. I added a tablespoon of PB2 to my chocolate protein and milk.. I know typically cant process more than 30g at a time, but hopefully i can process my shortfall today..

Anyhow.. it is really good and will use milk going forward.. That being said.. Should i buy lower Protein Powder if i am going to be using milk so it doesnt go over the 30g?

I make my shakes with 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It has like 5 g of Protein for 30 calories . I use pure protein chocolate powder (35g of protein! For only 160 calories ) plus a teaspoon of PB2 powder and half a frozen banana. Packed full of protein , and like the best chocolate Peanut Butter banana milk shake u ever had ! It’s 250 calories but stays with u a long time and has great protein . I do half a shake sometimes as well for 125 calories and almost 20g of protein

I use the pre-made GNC Lean shakes, but the only time I ever used powder it was to mix with Water. You were genius milk. Powder would be cheaper for me. Perhaps I could mix it with almond milk. I might have to try it. Thanks for the idea.

Keep in mind that Protein Shakes don't have Proteins that can be 100% absorbed, so you are totally fine to go over 30g with them since not every gram will be processed.

Let me go check my Pinterest boards and see where I saved that graphic that shows percentages...

~SW: 278 CW: 165~
RNY 1/5/2005
"What got you here won't get you there."

I had to go to powder myself , only way I could get strawberry, Wal-Mart saw fit to delete down to chocolate and vanilla in most of the Ready to Drink, blast their money-grubbing souls, Only way I might get my beloved Peaches and Cream Premier Protein is Wal-Mart.com, Amazon, Or go out of my town for Sam's Club or costco, wonder if both have guest memberships? If I have to travel 23-50 miles it better be worth the trip!

19 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I use the pre-made GNC Lean shakes, but the only time I ever used powder it was to mix with Water. You were genius milk. Powder would be cheaper for me. Perhaps I could mix it with almond milk. I might have to try it. Thanks for the idea.

Check the almond milk. I asked at my support group last week about the almond milk and was basically told i could drink it if i wanted to but the Protein was nowhere near regular milk. I bought my son almond milk and i bought me 1%. I compared the two today before i made my shake.. the almond milk.. 1g of protein, and the 1% 8g of protein.. My pure protein chocolate powder is 25 grams, and i added 1tbps of PB2.. 4g.. total 37g of protein.. thanks to the milk.

PS i always add 5 ice cubes to make it frothy.. AMAZING!

Edited by Jazzy1125

Here we go! Net Protein Utilization is the percentage of the protein that your body actually absorbs.

So, if you are using whey protein isolate or concentrate (make sure it's not a blend, because it may be mixed with soy or something else that can lower the score), you are getting almost 100% of the protein.

Hope that helps!Screenshot_20190121-213544_Chrome.jpeg

~SW: 278 CW: 165~
RNY 1/5/2005
"What got you here won't get you there."

Some shakes are supposed to be mixed with Water , some with milk. I have never tried swapping that around