Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking alcohol again????

On 01/23/2019 at 05:55, looly said:

Am I the only sleever who gets on well with bubbles? They don't really bother me at all (although I choose not to drink fizzy pop now, because of the calories).

I've cut wine out on an every day basis, but if it's a special occasion, I'll have some Prosecco or a nice red.

Bubbles don’t bother me at all. I’m getting sleeve to bypass and I expect bubbles to bother me a bit more. I hope not!

No I don’t drink any. I was not a big drinker before my surgery so it wasn’t hard not to drink any after. Plus what I liked before was a Coors Light and I don’t do any carbonation at all since my surgery. I don’t miss it. To me it’s an awesome trade off. I’ll take losing a whole human being off of me to occasionally having a alcoholic beverage.

I’ve had a few sips of a vodka tonic to be sociable , am 3 months out and bubbles don’t work for me . One glass of wine on a beautiful sunny afternoon did go down nicely but that’s it . Not at goal yet so why waste the calories

I had my VSG on 12/17 and I enjoyed a few drinks on New Year's Eve. I definitely got drunk, but still not as much as my wife who drank less than me. I had one vodka and soda with dinner this past weekend (out at a restaurant for my wife's b-day). It went down fine and I didn't feel anything from it--although I did nurse that drink for an hour. I am working so hard to get into shape and lose weight, why drink liquid calories that are just going to make it that much harder for me to stay on track?? I am sure I'll have drinks in the future, but I don't see myself drinking for the purpose of getting drunk any time soon. I will never say never, but it's just not something I want for myself right now. Same goes with weed. I have smoked a couple of times since surgery, but I really only took a couple of hits and I don't want to consume anything that is going to make me want to eat more.

Couple of gins and SLT here and there - couple of glasses of Prosecco every week. Do find I get drunk quicker, so always quit after 2 drinks - could not cope with a big night out on the town any more. That’s me nearly 16 months out.

Was allowed an occasional glass of wine on my plan after 3 months, but every team has different recommendations.

Alcohol is absorbed entirely by the stomach, via the stomach wall and into our bloodstream directly and rather rapidly. A few things to be mindful of, not necessarily in any order, but all of them important: The size of the stomach post VSG is very compromised, being a fraction of what is used to be pre-op. This means that absorption usually is much more rapid than it was and, that a much lesser amount of alcohol will be needed to both be perceived physically and felt physiologically by the body. This is important in, for example, being stopped for DUI whilst driving and likely 'blowing over' the limit, or otherwise tested as same. Of course, perhaps the most important aspect for any of us having gone through such a radical series of events, leading up to bariatric surgery etc should be, that alcohol is very high, relatively speaking, in calories. Alcohol is converted into sugars, and these are to be minimized or, better yet, avoided altogether for optimal results. Easy enough to say, I hear many uttering about now, but really, in my own humble opinion, I feel it really is a necessary sacrifice. I certainly haven't gone through all of this only to compromise it massively by continuing as once I did.....any more than continuing with what were wrong and unacceptable eating habits, be they emotional or otherwise, they all must go. I rarely drank alcohol when driving, ever, and so the matter of being 'over the limit' back then was never an issue.....now, post VSG, the risk is very real and for me, far too great, along with the much more important aspects of ongoing weight loss being optimal and sustainable. I should also add, that I am in my early 60's and have other things compromising my health that make my decision to avoid alcohol a no-brainer, but it is unquestionably the case, surely, that being on this bariatric journey, and having taken such huge steps with same, we should all deeply consider if alcohol is worth it on any level. It does represent a challenge to cease drinking, but for mine, a much greater challenge by maintaining, even partially, a life that includes alcohol. Good luck to all with this, whatever your choices :)