Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

Was anyone offered the gastric sleeve with a BMI over 50?

The doctors recommend a bypass for me but I do not want to go down the malabsorption route - I'd rather have the vsg surgery and work hard in the gym.

i started that way but am now under :)

Well it is your body, so it should be your choice. Is your surgeon leaning toward Bypass for any other reason besides your size? Sometimes if you already have reflux or another co-morbidity that might aggrevated in the case of VSG, they push for Bypass. And remember you are authorizing them to remove 3/4 of your original stomach and throw it away. No operation is perfect in this world, always win and loses, alas.

13 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Well it is your body, so it should be your choice. Is your surgeon leaning toward Bypass for any other reason besides your size? Sometimes if you already have reflux or another co-morbidity that might aggrevated in the case of VSG, they push for Bypass. And remember you are authorizing them to remove 3/4 of your original stomach and throw it away. No operation is perfect in this world, always win and loses, alas.

hello - no, there is no other reason apart from the fact that I am 5ft2 with a 52 BMI.

Even though I am very heavy, I am still able - All I require is drastic assistance rather than my anatomy completely changed.

7 minutes ago, DKG_WLJ said:

hello - no, there is no other reason apart from the fact that I am 5ft2 with a 52 BMI.

Even though I am very heavy, I am still able - All I require is drastic assistance rather than my anatomy completely changed.

I was the same.. although 5 3. I started with a BMI of 52. I am now in month 3. (will be 3 months on Feb 8th) and i have had absolutely no issues since surgery unless you count my TOM deciding to show up late and not yet this month LOL.. Other than that.. I have had no pains, no issues eating.. although chicken i find a little troublesome.. But i am very happy with my decision and am glad i had it done. Only wish i was able to do it sooner. I had surgery on Thursday and was back in the office on Monday. ( even worked from the hospital on Friday lol). I love my tool and treat it with care each and every day. I look forward to the day i fit into the size 16 dress i just bought the other day because it is gorgeous!!!! And to the day i enter the ballroom competition in September!

And you will whirl💃 and twirl with the best of them! We will want pictures so we can Celebrate with you!

14 minutes ago, Jazzy1125 said:

I was the same.. although 5 3. I started with a BMI of 52. I am now in month 3. (will be 3 months on Feb 8th) and i have had absolutely no issues since surgery unless you count my TOM deciding to show up late and not yet this month LOL.. Other than that.. I have had no pains, no issues eating.. although chicken i find a little troublesome.. But i am very happy with my decision and am glad i had it done. Only wish i was able to do it sooner. I had surgery on Thursday and was back in the office on Monday. ( even worked from the hospital on Friday lol). I love my tool and treat it with care each and every day. I look forward to the day i fit into the size 16 dress i just bought the other day because it is gorgeous!!!! And to the day i enter the ballroom competition in September!

ballroom competition? wow! that sounds amazing! I don't think we have anything like that in the UK - not London anyway.

You've made amazing progress! I hope to be in your shoes once I have my surgery. This will be my first operation ever and I'm not having it locally - I'll be travelling to Eastern Europe/Western Asia where it is cheaper.

Were you over 300lbs on your surgery date? or did you have to lose a little on a liquid diet beforehand?

29 minutes ago, DKG_WLJ said:

ballroom competition? wow! that sounds amazing! I don't think we have anything like that in the UK - not London anyway.

You've made amazing progress! I hope to be in your shoes once I have my surgery. This will be my first operation ever and I'm not having it locally - I'll be travelling to Eastern Europe/Western Asia where it is cheaper.

Were you over 300lbs on your surgery date? or did you have to lose a little on a liquid diet beforehand?

I lost 19.5 pounds before my surgery date. I had surgery at 284.2.. The school i go to is Arthur Murray. I do think they have Arthur Murray in London.. I also think they are worldwide but i can be wrong. My son is a teacher for them in a different dance studio. It was at the last competition in September that i decided to do the surgery so i could participate in the competition this year. I am super excited to be in the competition and way excited to hopefully be close to goal or somewhere under 200 by the time the competition comes about. I will for sure post a pic once i get my dresses. I am waiting to order until July or August because I do not know how much i will lose by then.

And I am so old I remember seeing Arthur and Kathryn Murray dancing on TV . Gosh I hate to admit I am That Old!

My BMI was 52 when I started the process and at my consult my surgeon initially recommended bypass. After the physical exam, however, he said that because I have so much muscle mass that the sleeve would be fine for me.

11 hours ago, anonbaribabe said:

My BMI was 52 when I started the process and at my consult my surgeon initially recommended bypass. After the physical exam, however, he said that because I have so much muscle mass that the sleeve would be fine for me.

Yes, I think I am in the same boat. I have high muscle mass too.

Ok - I'm going to go ahead and get the sleeve.

My BMI was 54 last week when I had surgery. I was leaning toward bypass because of my BMI and diabetes and sleep apnea, but my surgeon said he won't do a bypass unless he can't do the sleeve. I ha E GERD as well, and if there had been any anatomical concerns with my stomach that were contributing to the GERD that would have meant bypass.

Overall, 5 days out and I feel great and have no regrets.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

37 minutes ago, Syrina said:

My BMI was 54 last week when I had surgery. I was leaning toward bypass because of my BMI and diabetes and sleep apnea, but my surgeon said he won't do a bypass unless he can't do the sleeve. I ha E GERD as well, and if there had been any anatomical concerns with my stomach that were contributing to the GERD that would have meant bypass.

Overall, 5 days out and I feel great and have no regrets.

Ok - so you had the bypass not the sleeve?

Ok - so you had the bypass not the sleeve?
No I had the sleeve. He did my EGD and didn't find anything concerning.

3 minutes ago, Syrina said:

No I had the sleeve. He did my EGD and didn't find anything concerning.

oh okay awesome! sorry i wasn't sure because of your profile haha!