Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I break this habit?

Wise ones,

At my goal weight and just over 18months past surgery, I am becoming aware of some of my old, bad, eating habits creeping back in. The one I'm focusing on at the moment is this: When I am eating, and just after I'm done, all I can think about is eating more and/or again. I'm not hungry, but it seems that if I haven't eaten so much that I feel uncomfortable or sick, I just want more. I try not to give in, try to wait for a specific period of time, try to write down what I've eaten immediately.... but I'm really struggling with this.

I guess I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and start gaining weight again. This hasn't happened, but I worry about my capacity for self-fulfillment of my fears!

Any advice or empathy is welcome! I'm going to work on checking in more on this forum again. I had gotten out of the habit in the last year, but I think it will help.

I'm just 5 days out from my sleeve surgery, and struggling with much the same thing. I still want to eat the way I used to, but I physically can't (and don't want to, not really) yet the feeling and desire is still kind of there? I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't, other than to just fight it however you can.

Hopefully some others will chime in here with more help! Good luck! ❤️

You have to change your game.

What are you eating at these meals. Give us an idea of what you are eating. Post a day or two of meals/food.

Do you track your food? Weigh/measure/log it?

Sorry you are struggling!

Do you remember where you were before your surgery? Do you want to be back there again? I'm a relative newbee, only 4.5 months out but I surely don't want to regress, it was not a happy place for me.
Now you were once a success, look how far you came, you k,ow the right steps to take. Like one of the branches of military service, your mantra needs to be "eternal vigilance" , yeah it would be easy to back-slide, but it is going down a slippery slope, once you land in the pit of despair it is difficult to climb out again.
Remember all the things weight kept you from doing, the things I hope myself to do someday. No more stuck in seats, having to someone else hoist you to your feet, not sitting in airplane seats witout extenders, not being able to ride amusement park rides, doing things without huffing, puffing or having to sit down halfway through an activity. Many of these I haven't achieved myself but I am working hard to get there. And I will need someone to encourage me, maybe YOU are that person, don't fail me now but most of all Don't Fail Yourself. I will be watching to see good reports from YOU because I believe you will keep your life going forward. 😛Your Friend Frustr8

On 1/20/2019 at 9:45 AM, FluffyChix said:

You have to change your game.

What are you eating at these meals. Give us an idea of what you are eating. Post a day or two of meals/food.

Do you track your food? Weigh/measure/log it?

Sorry you are struggling!

I saw the NUT today for my B12 shot and check up.. She did a metabolism breath test and recommended I eat more! First time I've ever heard that. I do track and measure everything and had been averaging between 1200-1400 cal a day. She said 2200 if I want to stop maintain and 1700 if I want to keep losing slowly. I'm going to aim for 1800 and start eating 2% yogurt and milk instead of fat free. That should help with feelings of fullness. My usual routine is: latte, yogurt, muesli, fruit, in the morning; cheese or tuna with veg and/or a slice of bread for lunch; Soup packed with veg Protein, Beans, lentils, etc for dinner. Snacks: Annie's Crispy Bars, little bit of dark chocolate (my major splurge), Enlighten ice cream bar. I definitely get in all my protein and usually get in my fluids.

12 minutes ago, Nhope said:

I saw the NUT today for my B12 shot and check up.. She did a metabolism breath test and recommended I eat more! First time I've ever heard that. I do track and measure everything and had been averaging between 1200-1400 cal a day. She said 2200 if I want to stop maintain and 1700 if I want to keep losing slowly. I'm going to aim for 1800 and start eating 2% yogurt and milk instead of fat free. That should help with feelings of fullness. My usual routine is: latte, yogurt, muesli, fruit, in the morning; cheese or tuna with veg and/or a slice of bread for lunch; Soup packed with veg Protein, Beans, lentils, etc for dinner. Snacks: Annie's Crispy Bars, little bit of dark chocolate (my major splurge), Enlighten ice cream bar. I definitely get in all my Protein and usually get in my fluids.

Congrats on 203 pounds lost.

1700 to 2200 wow, I wish my metabolism was a good as yours. I'm older I workout like a beast my calories look different to maintain and lose.

Edited by Healthy_life

I saw the NUT today for my B12 shot and check up.. She did a metabolism breath test and recommended I eat more! First time I've ever heard that. I do track and measure everything and had been averaging between 1200-1400 cal a day. She said 2200 if I want to stop maintain and 1700 if I want to keep losing slowly. I'm going to aim for 1800 and start eating 2% yogurt and milk instead of fat free. That should help with feelings of fullness. My usual routine is: latte, yogurt, muesli, fruit, in the morning; cheese or tuna with veg and/or a slice of bread for lunch; Soup packed with veg Protein, Beans, lentils, etc for dinner. Snacks: Annie's Crispy Bars, little bit of dark chocolate (my major splurge), Enlighten ice cream bar. I definitely get in all my protein and usually get in my fluids.
Fantastic! What to do with all those lovely calories!

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

I would stick with full fat dairy for satiety but reduce the simple carbs and sugar you’re consuming and minimize snacking, or swap out the processed food for nuts or Jerky if you need a small snack. Your diet doesn’t have a lot of dense Protein and seems heavily laden with slider food, which may be why you want to eat more when you finish a meal. Are you drinking any fluids during or right after your meals too? If so, that could be contributing.

I disagree with your NUT; I don’t think the issue is consuming more calories but is the type of food you’re eating, which is making you want to eat more.

I suggest just eating dense protein and vegetables for a week to see if you can break your cravings.

Ok seriously it sometimes takes having a 'come to Jesus meeting' with yourself...

I've been there. For REAL. I had the regain. I had the 'I can eat everything just in small amounts' self talk. I had the people come up to me 2.5 years post VSG and ask me if I was pregnant!!! Now at 4.5 years post, I've lost my regain, lost even more and am getting ready (finally) for my skin surgery.

For ME, it took an ugly health issue to get my act straight. It's different for everyone but you have GOT to find your "WHY".

Once you do that, then you need to just get back to the VERY BASICS. attend some bariatric support groups. track your Water, activity and intake. empty ALL the junk food out. start taking your own food to EVERYTHING so there is no temptation. Go back to your surgeon office. talk to them. seek out EVERY form of support you can find. attend an Overeaters Anonymous group in your area, or a Food Addicts meeting. Do WHATEVER it takes. Sadly, statistically the regain odds are not in our favor.

Let's all prove those odds wrong.

Ok--sounds like you need another veteran to respond. (Not sure why non-veterans are answering these posts...) Empathy? You got it! Try salads, veggies, Water, water, water, and 10 minutes on the treadmill or climbing stairs, your choice. I also recommend eating at the table instead of in front of the tube and actively considering what goes into your mouth. It is NOT easy, but I believe in you!!!

4 hours ago, Teachamy said:

Ok--sounds like you need another veteran to respond. (Not sure why non-veterans are answering these posts...) Empathy? You got it! Try salads, veggies, Water, Water, water, and 10 minutes on the treadmill or climbing stairs, your choice. I also recommend eating at the table instead of in front of the tube and actively considering what goes into your mouth. It is NOT easy, but I believe in you!!!

Thanks for the empathy and the tips!! I'm really bad about the eating at the table thing, I have to admit. I can do better.

Agreed. That is more calories than I observe More sugar and more carbs. I had to stop eating anywhere other than the table. Stop eating at my desk. Just cause the excess is gone does not mean I do not gain weight from simply looking at food!!
Return to what you were doing 6 months ago. Log food. Check in with supports. If you do not have any well you gotta get one or check in with us. For me I eat 1400 to maintain. Anything else and I gain. Best and please update.

Wise ones,
At my goal weight and just over 18months past surgery, I am becoming aware of some of my old, bad, eating habits creeping back in. The one I'm focusing on at the moment is this: When I am eating, and just after I'm done, all I can think about is eating more and/or again. I'm not hungry, but it seems that if I haven't eaten so much that I feel uncomfortable or sick, I just want more. I try not to give in, try to wait for a specific period of time, try to write down what I've eaten immediately.... but I'm really struggling with this.
I guess I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and start gaining weight again. This hasn't happened, but I worry about my capacity for self-fulfillment of my fears!
Any advice or empathy is welcome! I'm going to work on checking in more on this forum again. I had gotten out of the habit in the last year, but I think it will help.

I'm 6.5 weeks out from RNY and find myself with the same problem. I will be discussing it with my therapist today. Are you in therapy for your good addiction? This is a major symptom.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using BariatricPal mobile app