Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a lap band placed in 2011. On the 9th of this month, I had it removed, a hiatal hernia repaired, and a sleeve done. I have so many mixed feelings about this whole thing. 10 days post op and wishing I had just had the band removed. Anyone else super emotional and not sure they made the right choice?

You feel like you shouldn’t have done the sleeve revision?

Part of me feels like I shouldn’t have. Another part of me thinks that once I feel normal that I’ll be fine.

I just had my band removed and want to revise to sleeve. I have to wait until my stomach heals. You’re still healing and getting used to the sleeve so hopefully you’ll feel better soon. Are you in pain or discomfort?

No real pain except the shoulder pain from the hernia repair. I get a terrible feeling of overfullness even from drinking. I guess I’m not pacing myself properly.

I’ve heard you need to take it very slow. I guess you have to re-learn and pace yourself. I know easier said than done.

I had my first post-op regret last night actually. I was struggling to eat anything at all yesterday, and every bite was difficult. My new sleeve fills up so quickly, and I had a moment of realization that I can't eat like I used to any longer. I used to eat generally very quickly, but now it's tiny bites, chew chew chew, then swallow. Wait 30 seconds-minute, rinse and repeat.

I regretted that I can't 'enjoy' food the way I used to, and thus the surgery. BUT, I think it's very normal for people to sometimes have regrets, especially in the beginning recovery period. Adjusting to our new stomachs/bodies takes a lot of getting used to, and it's normal to be emotional as well. We have just underwent a lifechanging experience, afterall. :)

I think I am like you though, in that once I feel better, I will not regret it at all. But from what I've read on here, some people seem to have those initial regrets in the beginning, only to be very happy later and wished they'd done it sooner!

I had surgery 12/20 and sure there have been difficult moments. This is not a no brainer, but hey , what in life that is worth it is? As the inflammation goes down you can drink more normally. But no u can’t eat what you used to and that is a good, albeit a different thing. Ive had to eat out for almost every meal the last week due to work and it has been interesting for sure. But now i get it. I just take to a smaller plate that size food which i know i can eat and put the rest aside, even sometimes covering it with a napkin. Dr. Vuong on you tube has some great videos with visual aides that help you understand where and what your sleeve is and how much it can hold. Your entire meal will be the size of your palm, Such that you don’t overdo. I have told myself that i had many years of drinking alcohol , eating whatever i wanted, Cookies, bread, ice cream. I’ve had my fun and maybe i’ll Take a spoonful here and there once i reach goal, but now i am a Protein and produce machine. And that’s all there is to it. The weight loss is quick initially , but is slowing. I spike my metabolism though spinning and weight training when convenient , but just make sure i get in my 3 mile walk a day at least and always my 64 ox of liquid. Good luck , this is for your health! I’m a month out and feel back to normal, albeit a whole lot lighter!

Edited by Lolo 2020