Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At my goal weight a week away from 7 months post-op

Tell me more what starting weight and end weight and how long to lose weight?
I'm a tall man and I'm around 317 plan to be 180 but no less than that!
For the longest I thought my highest weight was 297. However after going through my papers from the beginning, turns out my highest was 300. Don't people wouldn't think the 3 pound difference was anything major. For me it meant a lot. The day I had surgery my weight was 246. I had started changing my eating habits close to 4 months before surgery. So by the time I went on the liquid diet, I was down to 273. I had my surgery 6/25/2018 and as of today I am at 158.

I am in the same boat you are in. I was sleeved 3/26/18 and down 140 lbs. Started around 290lbs, now approx 150lbs (it fluctuates). My gym pointed out the picture I took when I first joined and I couldn’t even recognize myself. I had to take a closer look. I do exercise a lot. Love running now and want to do a half marathon in May. However, I just missed my first period (unrelated to pregnancy) in 22 years. To me it’s sign of too much, too soon. Need to pay a visit to the nutritionist to educate myself on how to properly fuel while training and gyno of course. I really do not pay mind to others opinions of how thin I may look to them. After all, these are people who love me and are used to seeing me obese....I understand their views but I am at a healthy weight/BMI so there is no cause for concern. However, I also need to make sure all is good on my part when my body sends a warning.

Thank you for posting this. Very much needed. Good luck and congrats :)

I am in the same boat you are in. I was sleeved 3/26/18 and down 140 lbs. Started around 290lbs, now approx 150lbs (it fluctuates). My gym pointed out the picture I took when I first joined and I couldn’t even recognize myself. I had to take a closer look. I do exercise a lot. Love running now and want to do a half marathon in May. However, I just missed my first period (unrelated to pregnancy) in 22 years. To me it’s sign of too much, too soon. Need to pay a visit to the nutritionist to educate myself on how to properly fuel while training and gyno of course. I really do not pay mind to others opinions of how thin I may look to them. After all, these are people who love me and are used to seeing me obese....I understand their views but I am at a healthy weight/BMI so there is no cause for concern. However, I also need to make sure all is good on my part when my body sends a warning.

Thank you for posting this. Very much needed. Good luck and congrats :)
Thank you and best wishes on continued success along your journey.

Thank you and yes these eyes are definitely wide open now and learning a lot. I appreciate everyone’s advise and support, and can find thru their experiences very wise paths that leads to roads to follow.

9 hours ago, jenforr108 said:

I have always avoided having my picture taken, knowing that I’m overweight ok obese, and not feeling good about my appearance. What is strange tho is I have never felt fat, I know that doesn’t make a lot of sense but I guess what I’m saying is I remember the slimmer me WELL and that’s what I imagine only with a lot of stuff weighing me down and making me tired all the time. When I started this journey ( Jan 1st) I allowed my daughter to take before pictures of me. I was shocked and at my next month ( feb) after losing 18 lbs I was even more shocked when I got even a better look at the fat on my arms in that months weights loss pics . When did this happen to me???? I look like the marshmallow man in ghostbusters no joke. What a huge wake up call, only I’ve been like this for years and avoiding the camera, I guess not caring to know. I’m now disgusted with myself for letting it get like this.
Needless to say the barbells are out and toning has begun I may not get back to the beautiful arms I use to have but this is unacceptable and has got to go. No longer avoiding the camera, that camera and pics will tell my story of my journey.
I feel like I just woke up😳

I'm totally with you, Jenforr. I didn't get seriously overweight until I was about 28 (that's 32 years ago, in case you are counting). I always thought of myself at the lower weight of my 20s, and I was shocked every time I saw myself in a mirror--and especially in pictures. In fact, it was particularly horrifying picture last summer that made me realize I had to do something--and here I am!

For those of you who are at or near your goal weight, what did you find to be the biggest challenge in your journey? Getting enough Protein, Vitamins or Water? Doing enough exercise? Avoiding temptation, especially when eating in restaurants? I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Edited by Recidivist
Duplicate Post

7 hours ago, AlteredReality said:

For the longest I thought my highest weight was 297. However after going through my papers from the beginning, turns out my highest was 300. Don't people wouldn't think the 3 pound difference was anything major. For me it meant a lot. The day I had surgery my weight was 246. I had started changing my eating habits close to 4 months before surgery. So by the time I went on the liquid diet, I was down to 273. I had my surgery 6/25/2018 and as of today I am at 158.

I'm curious can you tell me more about your diet. Your Vitamins. Your exercise? You lost 115lbs in 7.5 months that's a huge effort? I need to lose 140!!

I'm curious can you tell me more about your diet. Your Vitamins. Your exercise? You lost 115lbs in 7.5 months that's a huge effort? I need to lose 140!!
I take bariatric melts (vitamins and Calcium citrate). Had to start a zinc supplement, because I was a little deficient. My meals always consist of a Protein (seafood, ground turkey, chicken or beans) and vegetables. I don't eat any bread, rice or regular Pasta (I do zucchini noodles) and absolutely no sweets, caffeine or carbonated drinks. Starting out my exercise was just walking about a mile a day. I still walk, but do low impact strength training and will begin jogging soon. I do still have an occasional Protein Shake after I have finished exercising

Just now, AlteredReality said:

I take bariatric melts (vitamins and Calcium citrate). Had to start a zinc supplement, because I was a little deficient. My meals always consist of a Protein (seafood, ground turkey, chicken or beans) and vegetables. I don't eat any bread, rice or regular Pasta (I do zucchini noodles) and absolutely no sweets, caffeine or carbonated drinks. Starting out my exercise was just walking about a mile a day. I still walk, but do low impact strength training and will begin jogging soon. I do still have an occasional Protein Shake after I have finished exercising

Altered Reality, you are the model of what I hope to be six months from now. Great job!

1 minute ago, AlteredReality said:

Sounds rather straight forward, it's going to be hard for me to give up the red bull but I know I have to!

Sounds rather straight forward, it's going to be hard for me to give up the red bull but I know I have to!
It's literally about will power and determination. The temptations to eat the food that aren't healthy are hard to fight in the beginning. However, when you set your mind to never become that obese person again it gets easier. You just have to not give up on yourself and remember that there are painful consequences to eating and indulging in the unhealthy foods and beverages.< /p>

Altered Reality, you are the model of what I hope to be six months from now. Great job!
Thank you. I wish you much success on your journey! You can do it!!!

@AlteredReality thank you for sharing! I have determined to give up the same items and essentially eat the same type foods. Been on my Pre-op plan they gave me for a week and although I still miss occasionally the sweets and heavy carbs, I know they can’t be a part of my life if I’m going to have success in keeping weight off. Some people can re-introduce certain items back in with moderation. I’m not sure I could, so my goal is to avoid. food cannot be my source of entertainment/comfort/reward.

@AlteredReality thank you for sharing! I have determined to give up the same items and essentially eat the same type foods. Been on my Pre-op plan they gave me for a week and although I still miss occasionally the sweets and heavy carbs, I know they can’t be a part of my life if I’m going to have success in keeping weight off. Some people can re-introduce certain items back in with moderation. I’m not sure I could, so my goal is to avoid. food cannot be my source of entertainment/comfort/reward.
You know yourself better than anyone else. You can do it though...just stick with what you know it's right and best for your overall health

Thank you for posting. The whole process seems daunting when you are at the beginning. It is truly inspirational to read the comments of you and others. It reinforces the fact that all things are still possible.