Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At my goal weight a week away from 7 months post-op

Congratulations that is Outstanding, Your where I want to get to eventually. I am just beginning this road starting out at 296 I’ve lost 23 lbs Cw is 273 and going thru the 6 month process before RNY surgery hopefully in June / July. I’ve only had my first dietician and dr visit and lab but work so I expect I’ll get a lot more info at my next visit.im so happy I found your post as it’s giving me a good idea what to expect from this experience I hope you don’t mind but I will follow your progress as I hope to learn from you.what might make my process better
Thanks jennifer

On 02/08/2019 at 22:43, AlteredReality said:

You're absolutely right about not eating the wrong foods and yes Protein is the main focus. I stayed on my soft and liquid food a little longer than normal, simply because my pouch was rejecting solid food during the last stage of food introduction. I finally leveled out though. I haven't had a need for extra B12, because my levels are at a normal range. I am however lacking in my zinc. So I am taking an extra supplement for that. Everyone's body is different, so just because some people need extra Vitamins doesn't mean you will. It's all about the food choices you make and finding the Vitamins that work best for you.
Silly question maybe but how did you know you were lacking in zinc? Is it a service your surgeon provided or you had done on your own? (Newbie. Sleeved 1/21) And your story is very inspirational to me!

Silly question maybe but how did you know you were lacking in zinc? Is it a service your surgeon provided or you had done on your own? (Newbie. Sleeved 1/21) And your story is very inspirational to me!
I found out through lab work that my surgeon ordered, to make sure my levels were where they need to be. So they checked all Vitamin levels and my Protein level.

That’s actually one of the first things they did with me as well, even tho my family dr who I see regularly for other health reasons keeps up on this. My Vitamin D and B 12 and potassium always are super low so I have to take a lot of additional.
Altered Reality
Is there a certain time you find you need to take your Vitamins when you are so limited on your intake of food for your pouch?
I’m having a lot of difficulty myself just with the 30/30/30 I’ve alway drank Water with my food and washed everything down. I feel like I’m choking on things without it even tho I chew and chew and chew. This is a huge struggle for me. I’m great with my water intake I consume 128+ oz a day take in consideration that I’m on a lot of diuretics for Fluid on the brain, that needs removed. Just curious how do you get all your water food and vitamins in with such a lil pouch time wise? How much water do you consume also?

That’s actually one of the first things they did with me as well, even tho my family dr who I see regularly for other health reasons keeps up on this. My Vitamin D and B 12 and potassium always are super low so I have to take a lot of additional.
Altered Reality
Is there a certain time you find you need to take your Vitamins when you are so limited on your intake of food for your pouch?
I’m having a lot of difficulty myself just with the 30/30/30 I’ve alway drank Water with my food and washed everything down. I feel like I’m choking on things without it even tho I chew and chew and chew. This is a huge struggle for me. I’m great with my Water intake I consume 128+ oz a day take in consideration that I’m on a lot of diuretics for Fluid on the brain, that needs removed. Just curious how do you get all your water food and Vitamins in with such a lil pouch time wise? How much water do you consume also?
I take in a little over 120 oz. of water daily, but I drink all day long and throughout the night. My vitamins dissolve in my mouth, so I don't have an issue with having to worry about swallowing them in between meals and feeling too full. I struggled with the triple 30 rule in the beginning, due to the fact that I have dysphagia (trouble swallowing). I just eat in stages now, to help with it. I eat for a couple minutes and then rest for about 5 - 6 minutes in between bites.

Ah ok I just need to get this concept of slowing down. Making separate meals for my family too always seems to rush me some times and I feel overwhelmed and guessing how I’m ever gonna handle doing it once I end up having the surgery when I’m finding difficulties doing it now.

Ah ok I just need to get this concept of slowing down. Making separate meals for my family too always seems to rush me some times and I feel overwhelmed and guessing how I’m ever gonna handle doing it once I end up having the surgery when I’m finding difficulties doing it now.
Just try and find a method that works for you and definitely don't rush through. You can still enjoy meals with your family. You just may have to pre-prep your meals, so that you can all sit down together

Yes that’s what I’m finding and have been doing. My family enjoys meat and potatoes and the typical pizza and junk fried appetizer type foods that aren’t good for you. I’ve always been a fruit and veggie person and my kids have grown up that way too but now that their older they find it easier to eat that junk food even tho they come home often for me to make them my home cooking good meals. I love to cook and will gladly do it, I love to try new things as well. My husband is the biggest obstacle that and me getting all the Protein 80gr they want me to get a day but I have finally figured that out with the Protein Drinks. I’m not much of a meat eater except for seafood I love shrimp and salmon so I do eat those often, but I can’t stand the smell of hamburger cooking, I get very nauseous so I stay away from it.

5 hours ago, jenforr108 said:

Altered Reality
I’m having a lot of difficulty myself just with the 30/30/30 I’ve alway drank Water with my food and washed everything down. I feel like I’m choking on things without it even tho I chew and chew and chew. This is a huge struggle for me. I’m great with my Water intake I consume 128+ oz a day take in consideration that I’m on a lot of diuretics for Fluid on the brain, that needs removed. Just curious how do you get all your water food and Vitamins in with such a lil pouch time wise? How much water do you consume also?

Hi, Jenforr. I'm still two weeks away from surgery, but I'm really worried about not being able to drink with food. I also wash everything down with water. I've tried not having water with dinner, but I honestly can't do it. Of course, I'm not yet chewing my food as carefully as I will need to after surgery.

Yep that’s my struggle as well, I too have a choking reflex if I don’t have something to wash it down with I’ll start choking on it. I guess I’ll just keep practicing. My husband better get better at the heimlick maneuver. Lol

Yes that’s what I’m finding and have been doing. My family enjoys meat and potatoes and the typical pizza and junk fried appetizer type foods that aren’t good for you. I’ve always been a fruit and veggie person and my kids have grown up that way too but now that their older they find it easier to eat that junk food even tho they come home often for me to make them my home cooking good meals. I love to cook and will gladly do it, I love to try new things as well. My husband is the biggest obstacle that and me getting all the Protein 80gr they want me to get a day but I have finally figured that out with the protein drinks. I’m not much of a meat eater except for seafood I love shrimp and salmon so I do eat those often, but I can’t stand the smell of hamburger cooking, I get very nauseous so I stay away from it.
Hopefully your husband will compromise to help you succeed and adjust. Nothing wrong with meat and potatoes though, because you can substitute the potatoes for mashed cauliflower, baked cauliflower or riced cauliflower. I'm not a fan of regular burgers anymore, but I have found a plant based burger that tastes very close to a regular burger. It's by a company called Beyond Meat and it contains no soy and no gluten. I used to have to drink at least one Protein Shake a day, to make sure I was getting in enough protein. Now I get plenty in, due to eating so many times a day.

Bailouts! Yes 4 years out and do not feel thin. Why I do feel is healthy. I met goal rapidly and then lost 15 more lbs When I set my goal of 140 I thought no way would I reach it. The process was unreal. People said stop about 150 but in the end we are all after health and comfort. Agree Celebrate.

12 minutes ago, Stella S said:

Bailouts! Yes 4 years out and do not feel thin. Why I do feel is healthy. I met goal rapidly and then lost 15 more lbs When I set my goal of 140 I thought no way would I reach it. The process was unreal. People said stop about 150 but in the end we are all after health and comfort. Agree Celebrate.

Tell me more what starting weight and end weight and how long to lose weight?

I'm a tall man and I'm around 317 plan to be 180 but no less than that!

I have always avoided having my picture taken, knowing that I’m overweight ok obese, and not feeling good about my appearance. What is strange tho is I have never felt fat, I know that doesn’t make a lot of sense but I guess what I’m saying is I remember the slimmer me WELL and that’s what I imagine only with a lot of stuff weighing me down and making me tired all the time. When I started this journey ( Jan 1st) I allowed my daughter to take before pictures of me. I was shocked and at my next month ( feb) after losing 18 lbs I was even more shocked when I got even a better look at the fat on my arms in that months weights loss pics . When did this happen to me???? I look like the marshmallow man in ghostbusters no joke. What a huge wake up call, only I’ve been like this for years and avoiding the camera, I guess not caring to know. I’m now disgusted with myself for letting it get like this.
Needless to say the barbells are out and toning has begun I may not get back to the beautiful arms I use to have but this is unacceptable and has got to go. No longer avoiding the camera, that camera and pics will tell my story of my journey.
I feel like I just woke up😳

I have always avoided having my picture taken, knowing that I’m overweight ok obese, and not feeling good about my appearance. What is strange tho is I have never felt fat, I know that doesn’t make a lot of sense but I guess what I’m saying is I remember the slimmer me WELL and that’s what I imagine only with a lot of stuff weighing me down and making me tired all the time. When I started this journey ( Jan 1st) I allowed my daughter to take before pictures of me. I was shocked and at my next month ( feb) after losing 18 lbs I was even more shocked when I got even a better look at the fat on my arms in that months weights loss pics . When did this happen to me???? I look like the marshmallow man in ghostbusters no joke. What a huge wake up call, only I’ve been like this for years and avoiding the camera, I guess not caring to know. I’m now disgusted with myself for letting it get like this.
Needless to say the barbells are out and toning has begun I may not get back to the beautiful arms I use to have but this is unacceptable and has got to go. No longer avoiding the camera, that camera and pics will tell my story of my journey.
I feel like I just woke up[emoji15]
I can totally relate to how you feel. I didn't see myself as big, when I was overweight. It's an eye opener when you realize for yourself, just how much weight you used to carry around. Finally taking the rose colored glasses off and accepting what was and embracing what can be, is the most liberating feeling though. The journey has just begun