Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid amounts question ?

Ok, I know post op we should limit our food portions to 1/2 to 3/4 cup for RNY but my question is, do we need to limit our liquids to the same amount? If I drink 2 cups of a Protein smoothie for Breakfast or have two cups of coffee is that wrong? I’m not sure if liquids should be portioned out as well? I am 6 months Post Op.

2 hours ago, chattycat said:

Ok, I know post op we should limit our food portions to 1/2 to 3/4 cup for RNY but my question is, do we need to limit our liquids to the same amount? If I drink 2 cups of a Protein smoothie for Breakfast or have two cups of coffee is that wrong? I’m not sure if liquids should be portioned out as well? I am 6 months Post Op.

Your stomach is smaller, no need eat or drink large amounts all at once. You can spread them out.

My instructions: Hit my Protein goal 60-100g each day. Hydration requirement - Drink 64 oz of fluids in small amounts throughout the day. Don't drink with meals.

Liquids don't act the same as solid foods- they tend to flow through the stomach more. I wouldn't chug a large amount of liquid, but drink at a pace that is comfortable to you; other than following your limits on how close you can drink to solid meals, you should be fine to drink the amounts you want.

I think we're still supposed to sip our liquids an not gulp them but the only real instructions I was given was to get 60 g of Protein in each day and 64 oz of liquids and not use a straw. Oh, and don't drink with meals.

I use a straw. Have ever since about two months post op. I think it’s more of a gas/discomfort issue immediately post op.

I would never get any fluids in without my straws. 🤣

I just had my 6 month appointment with nutritionist and had someone different as my regular girl was away, she was the one that said that I was drinking too much volume with my morning smoothie and should split it up to breakfast and then the rest as a morning snack? I had never been told that previously so started thinking I wonder if that applies to other liquids as well? I started to worry about stretching my new stomach..........was wondering if anyone else had been told the same? I always separate liquids and solids.

I was told by my NUT that liquids do not stretch your pouch. They pass through. I drink a huge amount of flavored water (72-84 oz) each day. I enjoy the flavor and it keeps me feeling satisfied. That said I think Protein Drinks would be a little different because of all the calories that would be consumed. More information on this can be found at this link: https://primesurgicare.com/can-drinking-water-stretch-stomach-after-gastric-bypass/

On 01/19/2019 at 07:57, ScoutCR said:

I was told by my NUT that liquids do not stretch your pouch. They pass through. I drink a huge amount of flavored water (72-84 oz) each day. I enjoy the flavor and it keeps me feeling satisfied. That said I think Protein Drinks would be a little different because of all the calories that would be consumed. More information on this can be found at this link: https://primesurgicare.com/can-drinking-water-stretch-stomach-after-gastric-bypass/

Thank you, that is very helpful!

4 hours ago, chattycat said:

I just had my 6 month appointment with nutritionist and had someone different as my regular girl was away, she was the one that said that I was drinking too much volume with my morning smoothie and should split it up to Breakfast and then the rest as a morning snack? I had never been told that previously so started thinking I wonder if that applies to other liquids as well? I started to worry about stretching my new stomach..........was wondering if anyone else had been told the same? I always separate liquids and solids.

She might have been trying to spread out your Protein, not the actual liquids. Some doctors advise never to take in more than 30g of protein at a time, saying that it can't be absorbed. Other doctors say that the 30g limit isn't correct. If your morning smoothie is very high protein, that may have been her reasoning.

On 01/19/2019 at 10:58, Orchids&Dragons said:

She might have been trying to spread out your Protein, not the actual liquids. Some doctors advise never to take in more than 30g of Protein at a time, saying that it can't be absorbed. Other doctors say that the 30g limit isn't correct. If your morning smoothie is very high protein, that may have been her reasoning.

I think your right about the protein because she did tell me to cut back on the Protein Powder? But I’m sure she told me I could stretch my pouch too?

Thank you all for your responses! I’m going to check with my regular dietician when she’s back and see what she says!

10 minutes ago, chattycat said:

I think your right about the Protein because she did tell me to cut back on the Protein Powder? But I’m sure she told me I could stretch my pouch too?

Maybe because smoothies are a lot thicker than regular liquids. I guess they might take longer to exit your pouch. I've never been told that, though. Let us know what your regular NUT says, please!

Here’s the answer I got back from my Nutritionist, Liquids go through your digestive tract faster compared to a smoothie (because a smoothie has other components like Protein from the yogurt and Fiber from the berries – and so the transit down your system is longer) which is why I recommended splitting the smoothie to ½-3/4 cup per meal rather than finishing the whole cup in 30 mins as this takes up volume.
Maybe this will help others as well? Thanks for the responses!