Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hadn't heard this, but I Googled it and found this 2014 study about it:

Bone loss persists two years after weight loss surgery

Date:
June 23, 2014
Source:
Endocrine Society
Summary:
For at least two years after bariatric surgery, patients continue to lose bone, even after their weight stabilizes, research shows. Gastric bypass is the most common type of weight loss surgery. "The long-term consequences of this substantial bone loss are unclear, but it might put them at increased risk of fracture, or breaking a bone," said the study's principal investigator.https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140623141728.htm
I'll just keep taking my Calcium soft chew and not worry about it.

25 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I hadn't heard this, but I Googled it and found this 2014 study about it:

Bone loss persists two years after weight loss surgery

Date:
June 23, 2014
Source:
Endocrine Society
Summary:
For at least two years after bariatric surgery, patients continue to lose bone, even after their weight stabilizes, research shows. Gastric bypass is the most common type of weight loss surgery. "The long-term consequences of this substantial bone loss are unclear, but it might put them at increased risk of fracture, or breaking a bone," said the study's principal investigator.https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140623141728.htm
I'll just keep taking my Calcium soft chew and not worry about it.

Thank you for your response. The study I found said something similar and it really had me worried. You’re right, nothing I can do about it now other than take my Calcium and stay active. Thanks again.

My PCP scheduled me for a Bone Scan February 7th, perhaps,THIS is why; I am relatively certain he reads as much,as I Do, and folks I read lots! Self-taught at 2-and-half years, yeah you saw that correctly. I was the youngest person in my city and library to have a card, well before 4. Mama took me in there, queried the Head Librarian " How old do you have to be to receive a card?", answer was "late in Grade 1, because children don't read well until then". Mama said " But she reads already!" Librarian , her name was Miss Edwina Fitzgerald, went to reach an Early Reader to test me, Mama said :" No No, something without pictures" so a Grade 5 level was proffered, which I read 7 pages of letter-perfect, why not? One of the books I started with was the New Testament at home, matter of fact, the story in the family goes, I started learning to read because I got peeved, Mama wanted to do housework, like laundry instead of reading to ME. So-o-o! I really don't remember Not Reading that well.
Any-whoo I am a RnY and 73 so Maybe It Is a GOOD THING.😝✌

Hi there,

I’m new to this site and 4 weeks post-op. I came across an article that said bariatric surgery puts us at risk of bone loss/weakness and also makes us more susceptible to fractures. Is this true? Does the Calcium we take protect our bones?

Don't panic. The PCP sounds like he needs to do some continuing education on WLS. That study primarily focuses on people who had RNY, since the sleeve didn't become popular until later.

Those of us who had RNY can be at higher risk for bone loss because we have had several feet of the top part of our digestive tract removed. That's the malabsorption thing people talk about.

VSG folks are still essentially intact but with just a smaller stomach (one of the highlights of VSG).

Of course, keep taking your Calcium unless instructed otherwise by your surgery center, but as long as there are not other non-WLS factors that could cause bone loss (ongoing untreated low Vitamin D, heavy smoking or alcohol use, etc), the chances are low.

This is based on findings from several studies by the ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery) - the managing organization for everything WLS.

See screenshots. No more risk than with a lab band, and those have NO digestive tract change/removed.

Hope that helps!20190119_113544.thumb.jpeg.cf29bc2947c4575f27df5a80e65d32aa.jpeg 20190119_113815.thumb.jpeg.71d2caff0e1c80b4d777186dbdd33a90.jpeg

~SW: 278 CW: 165~

RNY 1/5/2005

"What got you here won't get you there."

4 hours ago, Amanda Dutton LPC said:

Don't panic. The PCP sounds like he needs to do some continuing education on WLS. That study primarily focuses on people who had RNY, since the sleeve didn't become popular until later.

Those of us who had RNY can be at higher risk for bone loss because we have had several feet of the top part of our digestive tract removed. That's the malabsorption thing people talk about.

VSG folks are still essentially intact but with just a smaller stomach (one of the highlights of VSG).

Of course, keep taking your Calcium unless instructed otherwise by your surgery center, but as long as there are not other non-WLS factors that could cause bone loss (ongoing untreated low Vitamin D, heavy smoking or alcohol use, etc), the chances are low.

This is based on findings from several studies by the ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery) - the managing organization for everything WLS.

See screenshots. No more risk than with a lab band, and those have NO digestive tract change/removed.

Hope that helps!20190119_113544.thumb.jpeg.cf29bc2947c4575f27df5a80e65d32aa.jpeg 20190119_113815.thumb.jpeg.71d2caff0e1c80b4d777186dbdd33a90.jpeg

RNY 1/5/2005

Thank you SO much for responding to me. I feel much better. I found chewable Calcium that tastes fine so I’m good to take it for as long as I need to. Thanks again.

Thank you SO much for responding to me. I feel much better. I found chewable Calcium that tastes fine so I’m good to take it for as long as I need to. Thanks again.
You are so welcome! I'm glad it was helpful and that you found a Calcium that works for you.

RNY 1/5/2005