Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Sleevers from 2011?

Question for my "old timers"

I had surgery in 2011 and then moved 1000 miles away. I could not find a surgeon in my new location that would see me, they all told me the same thing we didn't do your surgery so we don't want to responsibility for your care. So my PCP

I have seen some articles about the new post op guidelines and they seem so different from what I was told. Such as no steroids, no NSAIDS, no blind NG tubes, and so on.

Are there more things? Have your surgeons told you any updates like this? I feel in the dark and when I Google it there is many conflicting reports

I am also from the class of 2011, and my surgeon is 3-400 miles away (he was then, too.) Can your surgeon's practice do any remote consults - phone or email? Mine does, as they were used to many of their patients being non-local travelers. I have my annual labs faxed to them and they provide any comments as needed. They also have a semi-local support group, which is now shared with a local surgeon, but they welcome patients from all surgeons. By far the majority of my care is through our PCP with just an occasional consult with the surgeon if there are any issues that the PCP is uncertain of.

There really hasn't been much change in the care of the VSG - most of the changes that we see in articles are the result of the influx of RNY based bariatric surgeons getting into the VSG business and bringing their RNY practices with them - there are a lot more of them than there are old time VSG and/or DS surgeons who know the sleeve best. Most of these things like NSAIDs and NG tubes are things that are well to be cautious about, though we don't have nearly the sensitivity to them as the bypass folks do.

As to finding a new local(ish) surgeon, look into local surgeons' support groups and see if they welcome outside patients (many do,) and that can be an entry to a more involved relationship when needed; ask questions if you have any problems or concerns and that may spark an interest in your case. My preference is to look for an established DS surgeon if possible, as the DS is based upon the VSG and they tend to know the most details about its care and feeding, and from what I have seen, may be more welcoming of patients who have moved. (a very incomplete list can be found at https://www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-surgeons.php, or check with those in one of the DS forums about surgeons near you.)

Good luck in your continued health....

2 hours ago, KGreene13 said:

Question for my "old timers"

@KGreene13

welcome back

I am also a proud card holder from the class of 2011 !! 7 years PO - past 6 years in maintenance,

holding my own with slight fluctuations.☺️

I never heard of a dr saying "we didn't do your surgery so we don't want to responsibility for your care."

Wow, its not like you are asking them for "physical" care, i get that. But not giving you support/help/advice etc??? crazy. - wow!! maybe you can find a NUT in a practice that will helps. Or if you afford it, go to a NUT office for reminders/help about proper eating.

i could be wrong, but it sounds like you might need help getting back on track, eating properly etc. Right?? That's what this board is all about.

As far as the advice about where to go for a dr, @RickM gave you good info.

I don't think that anything has changed with the sleeve - (drinking, Protein, carbs, etc) there are more instructions/booklets/info that people are now given. (i was given very poor aftercare)

Someone reading this can hopefully send a link to such info.

stick around - read the boards and you probably will learn something new, interesting that

you can relate to - ask more questions.

good luck

kathy

where did you live, and where did you move 1,000 miles later?? (inquiry minds want to know)

Philadelphia to Florida