Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 hour ago, sophie11 said:

Hi everyone, I'm feeling terribly depressed and discouraged. I had my VSG surgery on October 17, 2018. Day of surgery weight was 251 lbs. Now almost 3 months post op, I weigh 234 lbs. I'm absolutely devastated that I've only lost 17 lbs! I'm 5'4 have sleep apnea, pre diabetes, PCOS and bipolar disorder. I was so excited about this surgery and was hopeful most of my health conditions would start to improve. I've heard the majority of weight is lost in the first 3 to 5 months, so am feeling like a complete failure. Has anyone else lost very slowly? Do you have any suggestions of anything I can try to speed up the weight loss? Any advice or insight on why this might be happening is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your help!

Sent from my SM-J727P using BariatricPal mobile app

So sorry that you're feeling down. Take it easy on yourself. Are you taking your meds? I am just 5 weeks post-op and for the last two weeks the scale didn't move but this morning it did. So it just take patience. Our bodies sometimes have to adjust to all of the changes. Like others have suggested, it really helps to log EVERYTHING you put into your mouth, including your two glasses of wine, into a food tracker. I use MyFitnessPal.com. Also, are you getting enough Water in daily? 60 g of Protein daily? 64 oz of liquid daily? You've got a couple of barriers with your health conditions that's going to make it a little slower, so you just need to know that in advance and be prepared for slow but steady. Take care!

13 minutes ago, sophie11 said:

Thanks for your response. Honestly not too many slider foods. The only other thing I can think of that may be hindering the loss is the glass or two of wine I have most evenings. That could definitely be working against my progress. I'll have to stop or start tracking that also. Have a great day!

I think the rice and potatoes may be adding up more than I realize.

The only other thing I can think of that may be hindering the loss is the glass or two of wine I have most evenings.

These 2 things in addition to your PCOS and psych meds add up to things being harder for you. That means you have to be even more disciplined and that's tough for us! But it's the truth. Dump the booze. Seriously. Dump the crap carbs. Eat meat. Eat an ounce or two of veg. Eat 3 meals. Weigh, measure and log. WALK. Drink Water. You WILL lose weight if you do those things.

41 minutes ago, sophie11 said:

Thank you! At around 2 I have a small meal of usually fish, chicken or beef with side of rice or potatoes and vegetables. I think the rice and potatoes may be adding up more than I realize. Thanks again for your suggestions :)

That is exactly your culprit. I was told no rice, Pasta or bread for a year. The potatoes i was given clearance on but only if i was still hungry and only a small portion. ( like a small piece of a baked, or boiled) I had to eat veggies before the potato. I think the rice and potato together are too much. Swap those out for green Beans or some other non starchy veggie.. Keep us posted, you can do this and you got this girl!

I'm sorry that you are so down. My surgeon and his team were awesome, so fear not : most weight loss takes place in the first 12 to 18 months after surgery - and who's to say it wont continue?? all the advice about logging your food, measuring your servings and getting in enough Protein are all keys to success. There is time to tweak your habits and figure out the right plan for you.

The best part is that you have lost weight, you didn't gain!! Slow and steady wins the race

Best of luck to you

I agree with Fluffy.

If you are drinking wine and eating potatoes and rice you are actually eating a lot of calories for non nutrient dense foods.

Change your diet to lean Proteins with vegetables and you will see better results.

You can do this!

IF YOU GOOGLE HOW MUCH SUGAR AND CARBS ARE IN ONE GLASS OF WINE LET ALONE 1 OR 2 EACH NIGHT YOU HAVE BEEN SHOOTING YOURSELF IN THE FOOT..I DID THE SAME THING LIKE TWO MONTHS PRE OP WHEN I WAS TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT BEFOREHAND......NO MORE FOR ME … IT'S HUNDREDS GRAMS OF SUGAR.

I was sleeved 9/6/19 and have only lost 20 lbs. I can't really even eat yet, just having Protein Shakes, broth, and a small amount of chicken. I don't really know what is hapening

16 hours ago, Gail521 said:

I was sleeved 9/6/19 and have only lost 20 lbs. I can't really even eat yet, just having Protein Shakes, broth, and a small amount of chicken. I don't really know what is hapening

You are losing weight. Might be a bit slower then you like but often people hit a stall during that period. It says you weigh 166, at that weight the loss is generally slower. Just hang in there, stick to the plan, and trust the process.

I worked in behavioral health for fifteen years and medications for bipolar often cause weight gain and difficulty losing weight. The fact that you lost 17 pounds is a victory. Remember the tale of the tortoise and the hare......it seemed like the tortoise wasn’t going to get to the finish line but he did.