Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervious about life after

I'm a week post-op and feel like for the next few months that my life probably will have a large focus on the food that I'm eating because I'm re-learning how to eat. I know that down the line though, after I've learned how to eat and what my body needs with it's new stomach that there won't be as much emphasis on this.

You will soon fall into a pattern where you know what does and doesn't suit you.

I am 13 months out and firmly in maintenance mode.

Life is a little bit about food still, but mostly relearning how I balance exercise and calorie expenditure, food and calorie intake, any weight/size.

To be honest life is more about exercise now - how I make more time for it because I am loving cycling AND running AND weight train8ng, so how do I organise my week to fit it all in! I LOVE this new life!

️[emoji304]" userid="329262"] I am 13 months out and firmly in maintenance mode.
Life is a little bit about food still, but mostly relearning how I balance exercise and calorie expenditure, food and calorie intake, any weight/size.
To be honest life is more about exercise now - how I make more time for it because I am loving cycling AND running AND weight train8ng, so how do I organise my week to fit it all in! I LOVE this new life!
Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using BariatricPal mobile app

My life is less about food than ever. I’m not always thinking about eating. food is more about fuel than pleasure at this point (5 months post surgery, 76 lbs down).
Well done! Hearing good things helps! Btw... i have about 110pounds to lose, how bad is the lose skin? Can you gym it away?

7 hours ago, jyta said:

Well done! Hearing good things helps! Btw... i have about 110pounds to lose, how bad is the lose skin? Can you gym it away?

Maybe...

Edited by GreenTealael

i am almost 3 months out. I always think about food but never think about food.. Quite and oxymoron huh? Lets break it down.. I never think about eating. I am never hungry. Sweets and Desserts do not tempt me in any way. I have to always remind myself to eat or i can get sidetracked easily especially when at work. On the other hand, I always think about food. What is in it if from a restaurant? Is it going to be beneficial to me if i consume it? Did i hit my Protein goal for today and do i need to eat anything else? Did i drink enough Water today? How many ounces did i intake and how many hours are left in a day? Do i want to make banana pancakes this weekend?

These are the types of things i think about. Its not about where and when i can have the next best thing but more about.. what is my meal prep going to look like and my menu planning.

9 hours ago, jyta said:

I'm not worried about surgery which is tomorrow... or about the tricky first weeks. More about life after that. Difficult to explain... worried about the rest of my life being about food! Is that strange?

Good luck on your surgery, you'll do fine! Yes, I both think about food all of the time but don't think about it if that makes sense. I'm 5 weeks post-op and I eat every 3 hours, only 2 oz at a time, but I think about what I can and can't eat and keep rehearing the rules in my head every time I think about having something to eat. It's okay and it'll help me down the road as I get further and further away from surgery. It's a lifetime commitment.

Like many have said, Life isn't about food at all anymore. It's about living life and not worrying about every single little thing that we as morbidly obese worry about.

See I read this as: "Worried About After Life" and then I was like, "Well hells! Aren't we all?!!!" (I seem to be drivin' the bus to Hell most days...just sayin'...) bahahahaha!

Relax. Totes norm! The life AFTER will be one where you still have to worry about what you eat, rather than what you can't eat or have to give up. You will lament at some point, that you can still eat all the crap in the world with little NO restriction, while eating real healthy food fills you up too fast. :D Cruel Irony thy name is Life.

Congrats in advance!

18 hours ago, jyta said:

I'm not worried about surgery which is tomorrow... or about the tricky first weeks. More about life after that. Difficult to explain... worried about the rest of my life being about food! Is that strange?

Jyta, I know EXACTLY what you mean, because I've thought the same thing as well! This was one of the reasons I waited three years before finally taking the plunge. I'm having bypass on February 25, and the answers I've read here have reassured me as well.

As some have said, my life before surgery has in many ways been all about food--always thinking about my next meal and what I would eat. Now it will be more about how much and when I need to eat. I can live with that if it means being a healthy and active!