Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suboxone before sleeve?

Has anyone gotten through this process while also using suboxone. I’m worried my surgeon will not allow it. When I first met him, he told me I would have to stop the medicine for 2 weeks before he could perform the surgery. It made me feel like he didn’t even understand what suboxone was - because if he did, he wouldn’t ask me to going into complete withdrawal. I’m hoping he will work with my prescribing doc, but it’s his Choice to make, and his only. I’m hoping someone out there can give me some hope because I’m starting to lose mine ☹️

I don't have experience with that but I wish you the best!

I Myself have no idea what it is but i wish you a smooth journey! If your doctor asked you to stop it for 2 weeks, it could be because it will interfere with the surgery but again, I have no idea what it is for.. I hope all goes well.

It is for opioid withdrawal, isn't it? A little easier on you than some of the others like methadone. Unless I am not remembering correctly.

Has anyone gotten through this process while also using suboxone. I’m worried my surgeon will not allow it. When I first met him, he told me I would have to stop the medicine for 2 weeks before he could perform the surgery. It made me feel like he didn’t even understand what suboxone was - because if he did, he wouldn’t ask me to going into complete withdrawal. I’m hoping he will work with my prescribing doc, but it’s his Choice to make, and his only. I’m hoping someone out there can give me some hope because I’m starting to lose mine [emoji852]️
If you're on suboxone for opioids like heroin I would definitely talk to your doctor! Stopping it cold Turkey IS NOT AN OPTION! You are on that for a reason and you might go back to using...which I hope wouldnt be the case if you just stop it! I am highly aware of opioids. I lost my brother almost 10 years ago and I do education speaking to schools about the dangers of heroin and opioids. I wish you all the best. Message me and I can get you in touch with someone who might be able to help you with questions and even getting off of suboxone!

Jeannine [emoji8]

Thank you Jeannine but I’m also highly educated and have already spoke to my doctor about it - who is NOT highly educated on the topic. This post is to ask if anyone who is currently utilizing suboxone has also had the sleeve procedure and what their doctor did to work around it. I also know you cannot stop it cold turkey hence why my doctor is completely uneducated about the RX and how it works. I am not an addict who needs assistance but I appreciate the concern.

Have you spoken with whoever prescribed it? I’ve never taken sub, but when I had surgery, I went to my psychiatric provider for expertise on adjusting and handling the meds they had prescribed... and didn’t trust the advice of the surgeons team, as that wasn’t their specialty.

Is it possible to taper off and be off long enough to pass the test and then restart it (if you feel that you need to) post op? Did they give you a reason why they don’t want you on it?

I'm dealing with this now, surgery Oct 4th and pain management dr who prescribes my subs said do not stop taking them and the surgery team can add short acting pain meds with it and he would be happy to speak with him but surgeon told me 2 days ago he wants me off completely and to take 1mg less a week... Im on 4mg and there is less than 2 weeks so at best I'll be on 2 so I dunno what he was thinking, ive been calling and emailing my pain management dr for days and so far no response so im kinda freaking out at this point I really don't know what to do.