Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder surgery before sleeve surgery

I had my first bariatric sleeve consult appointment today. I was told that since I have gallstones, I should have my gallbladder taken out before I have the gastric sleeve. Is it common to have problems with your gallbladder after gastric sleeve?

I haven't had my surgery yet so I don't have any personal experience but doctor told me at my first appointment anytime there is rapid weight loss you're more than likely going to get gallstones and something like 30% of patients have gallbladder issues after.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using BariatricPal mobile app

Rapid weight loss contributes to the development of gall bladder issues. If you already have stones, it's best to have it taken care of. Some doctors will remove it at the same time as the bariatric surgery.

I wish mine had done that. When I had the lap band in 2005, my doctor didn't even check the gall bladder and it wasn't routine at that time to give preventative medications like ursodiol. I developed gall bladder symptoms after about a month that didn't present as "typical" gall bladder symptoms. As a result, I was misdiagnosed for 6 months until I demanded that they check my gall bladder. It lead to nothing but misery and likely contributed to my band slipping.

2 hours ago, DietrichWarnick said:

I had my first bariatric sleeve consult appointment today. I was told that since I have gallstones, I should have my gallbladder taken out before I have the gastric sleeve. Is it common to have problems with your gallbladder after gastric sleeve?

My hospital takes your gallbladder out at the same time they do the sleeve (if necessary), not in two separate operations. I had it done this way. When I googled my surgeon, I found he'd actually authored a journal article on how this is safe and effective (a few years ago). Didn't realize anyone was still doing them separately, but maybe my guy isn't he norm? I was glad to have it all done in one go.

My gallbladder surgery is Tuesday 2/12. I’m preparing for the big surgery (gastric sleeve) that will happen this summer. Any advice for me for after the gallbladder surgery? This is my first major surgery.

I had my gallbladder removed years ago. If you're still feeling gallbladder pain after, make sure you let them know. Turned out I had a stone in my common bile duct that wasn't removed when they took my gallbladder out, so they had to go back in via emergency endoscopy.

I had the sleeve on 1/7 and my first gall stone attack last week. Surgeon wants to remove it yesterday but I’m delaying as I have just got my life back 🤦‍♀️