Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone willing to share your paper work on post op instructions and diet progression? We have a new member that had surgery in Mexico and only had verbal instructions.

Hope this help's @lorraine#11

Edited by Healthy_life

Sure. Here's my diet progression:

Stage 1: Bariatric Full liquid diet (Weeks 1-2)

• #1 sugar-free Fluids
    • This is the number one priority after surgery—drink a minimum of 64 ounces/day. Examples: Water, herbal tea (no caffeine), Crystal Light, Powerade Zero, etc.
    • liquids should be non-carbonated, non-caffeinated, and under 15 calories/8 ounces
  • #2 Protein Shakes
  • Goal of 60g-80g protein/day. Mix with water or unsweetened nut milk.

Stage 2: Soft Protein Foods (Weeks 3-4)

• #1 Sugar-Free Fluids
    • Still the number one priority after surgery
  • #2 food
    • 3 meals/day of soft protein foods (aim for 60g of protein as able—compensate with protein shakes if unable to hit 60g through food). There is no set portion size—you must listen to your body. Examples of soft foods: eggs, whole Beans, canned meat, shaved/thinly sliced deli meats, fish, tofu, Greek yogurt, cheese, refried beans, etc.
  • #3 Protein Shakes
    • You may need to drink 1 protein shake/day to meet the 60g of protein if you can't meet this goal from foods.

Stage 3: Bariatric Regular Foods (Week 5+)

• #1 Sugar-Free Fluids
    • Still the number one priority after surgery
  • #2 Food
    • 3 meals/day focusing on protein. Small bites and stop at the first indication of fullness. There is no set portion size. Try new foods one at a time and in small amounts. Focus on solid protein for best portion and hunger control. Put fork down and pause between bites.

I should note that my program progresses a little faster than others that I have seen. I recommend following your surgeon's advice over my program 🙂 I understand, however, that @lorraine#11 is in a peculiar situation.

For food ideas this is my bariatric dietician recipe website.

http://insidekarenskitchen.com/bariatric-friendly-recipes/

My instructions are four years old..Instructions seem to change.

(1) What are your calorie, Protein and carbohydrate goals ?????

(2) How do you set your goals up in baritastic or myfitnesspal????

(3) Are you doing it by reading food fact labels and writing them down?

Edited by Healthy_life

4 hours ago, Healthy_life said:

Anyone willing to share your paper work on post op instructions and diet progression? We have a new member that had surgery in Mexico and only had verbal instructions.

Hope this help's @lorraine#11

Here's a link to mine. Compared to others on here, my hospital seems to move at a snail's pace, but it worked out well for me. https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/highland/bariatric-surgery-center/life-after-surgery/bariatric-diets.aspx

My instructions are four years old..Instructions seem to change.
(1) What are your calorie, Protein and carbohydrate goals ?????
(2) How do you set your goals up in baritastic or myfitnesspal????
(3) Are you doing it by reading food fact labels and writing them down?

Good morning so protein I am trying to 80g carbs no more than 50g...and I am on myfitnesspal..I read alot too much that I confuse myself..lol . I write everything I put in mouth down.. I got on the scale and I did drop a couple pounds. So far 17 pounds in total.. I started at 220 my goal is do be 150 ..I am hoping to do it like you...thank you my motivation!!![emoji8]

Sent from my SM-G892A using BariatricPal mobile app