Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else having a hard time deciding what their goal weight is?

Listen guys, I knew I wanted this surgery for a long time. I know I want to lose weight so that I'm not diabetic anymore.

I went to my second weight management class last week and filled out some paperwork.

One of the questions asked what our goal weight was.

I have no freaking clue! I'm about to be 22, and I'm a 5 foot 2 female.

I weigh 205 pounds now. No clue what I would be happy with?

How did you all decide your goal weight? Did you let your doctor decide for you?

I don't know what my final goal weight is. I set my first goal as losing 60% of my excess weight, which is average for the sleeve. Once I reach that, I'll see how I feel at each 10lbs or so. I know myself well enough to know that if I set it low and don't achieve it, I would feel like a failure. So, I set my mindset that if I lose 60% EWL, I'll be significantly more healthy than I am now and, while still fairly overweight, will be happy with that.

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I should start out that way. Just like school. Expect a C, rejoice when you get a B+

3 minutes ago, WeGettingThere said:

Listen guys, I knew I wanted this surgery for a long time. I know I want to lose weight so that I'm not diabetic anymore.

I went to my second weight management class last week and filled out some paperwork.

One of the questions asked what our goal weight was.

I have no freaking clue! I'm about to be 22, and I'm a 5 foot 2 female.

I weigh 205 pounds now. No clue what I would be happy with?

How did you all decide your goal weight? Did you let your doctor decide for you?

The goal is healthy. Whatever that looks like for you.

BMI chart is not perfect. It will give you a guideline for a healthy weight.

BMI Calculator

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmi+calculator&oq=BMI+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i60j69i59j0l2.3704j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

57d291cadd0895c6308b46b0-960-742.png

Whoop, there it is! Thank you so much for being helpful!

My goal weight is flexible—it'll probably change the closer I get to it as I figure out what I'm comfortable with. For now, it's 170 which is 10 pounds lower than my lowest adult weight.

Just now, WeGettingThere said:

Whoop, there it is! Thank you so much for being helpful!

Also depends on the type of surgery you are having. I'm a sleeve. Like said above by @notmyname The norm is 60% Shoot for healthy make small goals along the way. I hope you get a surgery date soon.

Just for fun, It's not accurate..Here is a link to a weight loss simulator.

https://modelmydiet.com/

Woah... Thanks everyone. I never thought about my goal weight until I saw the question on the page.

Now I can't get it outta my head!

3 hours ago, Healthy_life said:

The goal is healthy. Whatever that looks like for you.

BMI chart is not perfect. It will give you a guideline for a healthy weight.

BMI Calculator

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmi+calculator&oq=BMI+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i60j69i59j0l2.3704j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

57d291cadd0895c6308b46b0-960-742.png

This!

I set my goal weight based upon getting to a healthy BMI. My surgeon thought that was good, but cautioned me it was optimistic.

I’ve heard that BMI isn’t really a good indicator. Most BMIs are unrealistic. Does anyone else have other scales?

My healthy weight is 135 according to charts. The last time I weighed that much was age 21 and I remember wearing a juniors size 9 (I’m 5’8”) I think if I weighed around 140-150 I’d still look slim. That being said I’d LOVE to shoot for the moon and get down to 130-135

I just kept saying my goal was healthy and I still feel that way 5 days from surgery.... BUT my doctor said he thought if I worked hard I could lose 75 pounds so I've decided that is my goal.

I have spent a lot of time and money to get to a surgery date and I am going to lose all I can lose.

Good luck finding your number!

On my first doctor visit he told me he thought I could get down to 140 lbs so I set that as my first goal. According to BMI charts my range is 92-123 lbs. My doctor has now given me an "ideal" wt of 117. I think I'll set my "ultimate" goal at 123. It puts me in the "healthy" range and anything less than that is a bonus! My college wt was 112 lbs but that was 40 yrs ago.

My goal weight is 150 because that puts me in the healthy BMI range for my height (5'5"), although it is at the absolute top of the range. Once I get to the healthy range, I'll see how I feel about my looks and if I want to make any changes (either with more weight loss or specific toning exercises) from a purely "how I want to look" perspective.