Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does a control freak do before surgery?

I have to confess to being a bit of a control freak. keeping busy and knowing that things are in order helps to keep me calm and take my mind of things. My surgery is in 3 days so this is what I have spent the morning doing.

Cooking!

I have made 3 different lots of veggie Soup

1. Cauliflower with chickpea

2.Leek,potato,courgette and chickpea

3.Carrot,tomato and lentil.

They are all blitzed and ready to go in the freezer. They should be perfect for puree stage and can also be thinned out more to use on liquids. All dependant of course on whether or not I can tolerate them post op. Homemade soup has to be better than those chalky tasting Meal Replacement ones.

Then I went through my surgery info and put everything neatly together in a file. I also went through the file I did in 2009 before I got banded. Reread the patient info guide I was given at the time, it's a great work of fiction!

Finally I started a new book for all my weights and measures. It's pretty scary that although I weigh 10kg less than when I got my band my measurements are very close to being the same. My stomach which has always been my problem area is only 2cm smaller now :(

next thing on my list is to pack my bag ready for hospital

23 minutes ago, elcee said:

I have to confess to being a bit of a control freak. keeping busy and knowing that things are in order helps to keep me calm and take my mind of things. My surgery is in 3 days so this is what I have spent the morning doing.

Cooking!

I have made 3 different lots of veggie Soup

1. Cauliflower with chickpea

2.Leek,potato,courgette and chickpea

3.Carrot,tomato and lentil.

They are all blitzed and ready to go in the freezer. They should be perfect for puree stage and can also be thinned out more to use on liquids. All dependant of course on whether or not I can tolerate them post op. Homemade Soup has to be better than those chalky tasting Meal Replacement ones.

Then I went through my surgery info and put everything neatly together in a file. I also went through the file I did in 2009 before I got banded. Reread the patient info guide I was given at the time, it's a great work of fiction!

Finally I started a new book for all my weights and measures. It's pretty scary that although I weigh 10kg less than when I got my band my measurements are very close to being the same. My stomach which has always been my problem area is only 2cm smaller now :(

next thing on my list is to pack my bag ready for hospital

You sound ready!

I cleaned/organized my house, binged music and movies into delirium so that I was exhausted for my 5am surgery check in. Can't be nervous if you're barely awake.

I basically winged the first month after.

I like your plan better.

Before my surgery I too had made sure I had plenty of liquid and pureed food available. I also read everything in my binder over and over. In my overnight bag I packed lotion and lip balm and those are the only things I ended up needing or using. I never changed into my own pajamas and I never felt like getting on my smartphone or reading or anything. Good luck on your upcoming surgery, sounds like you're ready!

Oh I am right there with you.

My type A personality is not knowing what in the heck to do right now.
I have 2 weeks until my surgery. I have pre-made quite a bit of Soups to freeze, bought as much things as possible without being wasteful, organized and then reorganized.
I just don't know what else to do and I hate that feeling!!!!

I would recommend three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.

3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

I went on a work trip the week before (needed a distraction!), and came back two days before my surgery. When I got home I cleaned, packed, and took care of all “life administration” for the coming month so I could rest. I’m very much a type-A “planner” when I get stressed/anxious and a friend who went through the surgery 2 months before me assured me that my planning instinct wasn’t necessary, it’s really okay to take everything as it comes, especially if you have help. Best of luck to you!

I am in the same boat. I am going in next Tuesday. I have my bariatric pantry with all my Protein and Bone Broth Soups etc. I am going to get all my Vitamins organized and medications all together. I have to make a daily chart which I'll be checking off Water intake, protein and medication since there is SO much to track. I dont have any idea how people go back to work right away. I need to choose a few more books on Audible and have those ready to go. I really didnt want to make too many pureed soups etc because I have no idea what I'll tolerate and dont want to have gallons of pureed Soup I dont like. I guess I could do a few. I need to be careful not to read too many people's experiences as it just ramps up my anxiety (what if that happens to me).

I am a major control freak and it's very very hard for me not to know what to expect!! Hang in there. Pretty soon we'll be looking back on these posts as a distant memory!

20 hours ago, bodycando said:

I went on a work trip the week before (needed a distraction!), and came back two days before my surgery. When I got home I cleaned, packed, and took care of all “life administration” for the coming month so I could rest. I’m very much a type-A “planner” when I get stressed/anxious and a friend who went through the surgery 2 months before me assured me that my planning instinct wasn’t necessary, it’s really okay to take everything as it comes, especially if you have help. Best of luck to you!

OMG I wish I could go to some of my branches next week!!!! That would have helped me so much.