Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days until surgery

I'm trying to put together what I will need in the hospital and what I will need when I get home. I'm going to the store tonight for some sugar free Jello, popsicles, Protein Water, broth. I trying to figure out what else I will need. I'm afraid I will be forgetting something.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

33 minutes ago, Ellens531 said:

Those are all good things to have as soon as you get home. Popsicles are good to get your Water levels up there and Protein water goes down better than shakes. Get the knorr chicken bullion cubes. The warm salty stuff seemed to help me. The texture of Jello was weird for me after surgery but some people swear by it. Good luck!

becareful with the knorr and salt.. as salt is a dehydrator and you want to get as much Water as you can. Each Dr is different whether its clear or full liquids. You can also get some beef broth to switch it up some to not get bored.

Definitely GASX, Tylenol, dry Shampoo and wipes to clean yourself with since you can’t shower for a couple days. A heating pad is a MUST and a good pillow. Also, make sure you have SUPER comfy jammies that are not tight around your incision.

Billion cubes also. You need 3-4GRAMS of salt in the broth. If you don’t have enough salt you will feel crappy and your body will not hold on to Water the way it should. You will become dehydrated quickly. My medics team recommends 3 billion cubes in a cup of hot water first thing in the morning to ensure you are getting your salt in. If you feel groggy, lethargic, etc you aren’t getting enough salt.

On 01/12/2019 at 19:21, Abbey M. said:

Billion cubes also. You need 3-4GRAMS of salt in the broth. If you don’t have enough salt you will feel crappy and your body will not hold on to Water the way it should. You will become dehydrated quickly. My medics team recommends 3 billion cubes in a cup of hot Water first thing in the morning to ensure you are getting your salt in. If you feel groggy, lethargic, etc you aren’t getting enough salt.
Bullion Cubes****

Definitely GASX, Tylenol, dry Shampoo and wipes to clean yourself with since you can’t shower for a couple days. A heating pad is a MUST and a good pillow. Also, make sure you have SUPER comfy jammies that are not tight around your incision.
I have chewable gasx. I have tylenol and dry shampoo. I bought myself a wedge pillow thinking that will help. My dr says I will be in overnight and as long as I'm getting in my Water, I can go home next day.

On 01/12/2019 at 19:25, Ellens531 said:

I have chewable gasx. I have tylenol and dry Shampoo. I bought myself a wedge pillow thinking that will help. My dr says I will be in overnight and as long as I'm getting in my Water, I can go home next day.

Yep that was me too. I spent one night in the hospital. You might get a little nauseous the first and second day post op but don’t worry they’ll give you meds and it will pass. Honestly my BIGGEST advice to you is every morning first think get up, boil a regular size coffee mug of Water, dissolve 3 bullion cubes in it, pour it back in a coffee mug, and sip the entire thing down using a spoon. It literally makes 100% difference. I have energy. Am moving. No pain. Feel great. Getting fluids in. And it’s all because my doctor gave me that advice. The one day I didn’t do that I get awful and dehydrated. I’m only 6 days post op :-)

On 01/12/2019 at 19:30, Abbey M. said:

Yep that was me too. I spent one night in the hospital. You might get a little nauseous the first and second day post op but don’t worry they’ll give you meds and it will pass. Honestly my BIGGEST advice to you is every morning first think get up, boil a regular size coffee mug of Water, dissolve 3 bullion cubes in it, pour it back in a coffee mug, and sip the entire thing down using a spoon. It literally makes 100% difference. I have energy. Am moving. No pain. Feel great. Getting fluids in. And it’s all because my doctor gave me that advice. The one day I didn’t do that I get awful and dehydrated. I’m only 6 days post op :-)
Oh.....and I’m already down 17lbs since surgery on Monday :-) 30 pounds since the week before when I started the pre op diet :-)

Night gown! So nice not to have pajama bottoms rubbing against incisions. Fairfree milk has 13g of Protein. Skim. Lactose free. I mix two cups of this with one vanilla Pure Protein (30g of protein) which equates to 56g of protein in total.

Would chicken broth work the same?

Night gown! So nice not to have pajama bottoms rubbing against incisions. Fairfree milk has 13g of Protein. Skim. Lactose free. I mix two cups of this with one vanilla Pure Protein (30g of protein) which equates to 56g of protein in total.
Good idea! Thanks

On 01/12/2019 at 19:33, Ellens531 said:

Would chicken broth work the same?

Chicken broth has less sodium in it. Remember you want to get 3-4 grams a day in. You can drink the chicken broth but you have to drink more to get adequate sodium. I can’t drink that much so I do the bullion cubes. That’s what the doctor and dietician recommended to make sure I get the sodium in I need at first. And honestly, I’d rather get it over with haha but whatever you prefer, just make sure your getting sodium :-)