Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post - op woes

Need a little support , I had my sleeve Jan 7th. My Italian father came to visit and cooked one of our favorite meals today, so while he and my husband are relaxing over a cigar , my entire house is filled with the smells of the delicious meal in the oven all afternoon. Never mind that my adult boys , along with my hub and dad all had appetizers all afternoon. I finally had to come up to my bedroom, although my entire house smells like the food now. I thought it wouldnt bother me as I am not hungry , but to sit there all day was just too much. I’m hiding upstairs. I don’t want anyone to see me upset. This surgery was my decision, right ? Ughhh

Edited by MMC8021
Typo

It is so hard right now, but I SWEAR you will get over the hump! My first two weeks were the hardest (had my surgery 12-11-18) and not eating all the Christmas things was awful. Most of the times I regretted my desicion. Now, five weeks later I feel great, could care less about what others are eating and have lost 41 pounds!

Thank you Teddy8183 and Donna. Congratulations on your weight loss ! And yes I do agree it seems “ not nice”. My kids and hub kept trying to put the food away , but my dad is very fixed in his ways. He did ask before as every time he spends the weekend he likes to cook. I just didn’t realize how much it would affect me emotionally. And he could have chosen something simple not an all day affair. 😂

People who haven't gone through this really have no concept of how difficult it is or of how complicated our relationship with food is. What he heard is that "You're not hungry because of the surgery." He doesn't understand how many "homey" foods are tied into our memories and emotions, of times shared with family and friends, of celebrations and sadness. Right now, you're probably mourning not being able to share these experiences in the "normal" way. It will get better when you're healed up. You will be able to share your favorite foods again and enjoy sharing the meal and building new memories. It just takes time and you need to give yourself both time and permission to work through it. At least, this is how it was for me. Hope it gets better for you soon.

we are all emotional after surgery. One thing to remember and which my son actually had to remind me when i complained about somebody at my dance studio.. was.. this was MY decsion, not anybody else's and it is not fair to others that we expect them to eat differently because of a surgery we decided to have.

One recommendation is to flavor your shakes or something to feel included in what they are doing. I know the smells were there, but your nose is going to be so much more sensitive, you are going to smell everything every where and be more aware of the food around you. Make lemonade out of lemons and enjoy the company and try not to let the food bother you. It will get a lot easier.