Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got the sleeve December 28th.
Successful pre-op week long liquid diet and day before Clear Liquids. 10.5 lb loss
Successful surgery, anesthesia hit a bit hard and I didn’t end up fully waking up until middle of the night surgery night. Began walking, could hardly sip, all normal stuff. I could immediately pick myself up and didn’t require assistance in sitting up or walking around, was just extremely tired.
Three days post op I began feeling what I assumed were the dreaded gas pains dead center of my abdomen. I called my doctors office, scoured the forums for advice, nothing helped. I tried the milk of magnesia assuming I was backed up, not the case. Tried gasx bc the pain latest 3 days non stop. Couldn’t hardly move, couldn’t sleep, couldn’t walk, couldn’t sit, lay, anything.
So! Fast forward to Thursday (6 days post op) and I’m balling on the phone with my doctors office pleading there’s no way this is gas. So they bump my post op appointment to the next morning if I can wait. If not, they say don’t wait to go to the ER.
Next morning on Friday my mother rushes me to the office, we barely get through the door and they’re sending us to the ER next door.
After many tests, hours of different pain meds that didn’t work...a ct scan shows a prominent Portal vein thrombosis. A massive and extremely painful blood clot in my chest bc of the surgery.
Little pre surgery info, I’m extremely healthy. I’ve never had heart burn, acid reflux, diabetes, heart problems, any issues health wise.
I’ve now been in the hospital for over a week dealing with the excruciating pain, blood thinners, 6 days of NO food OR Water, not even ice chips. Talk about torture.
So, just a heads up...it’s not always gas pain. This may be super rare, which is what I’ve been told, but still...it sounds like gas pains...it still may not be. If your pain is at a 10 go to the dang hospital.

My gas pain were quite severe. I spent my first night in the hospital and retching the entire night. I kept on thinking to myself boy did I make the wrong decision. Around about day three mini came home I started looking at stretching positions that relieve gas. I found making laps in my bedroom and having a sip of Water at the end of each lap and then doing the downward dog on the bed really helps push my digestive and stomach track together to help move gas out of my system.

So, just a heads up...it’s not always gas pain. This may be super rare, which is what I’ve been told, but still...it sounds like gas pains...it still may not be. If your pain is at a 10 go to the dang hospital.

Oh wow, what a rough ride! I hope you get better soon!

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

So sorry to hear this. Get well soon!

Thank y’all! Just got out of the hospital today. Was in for over a week and had/have portal vein thrombosis, splenic vein thrombosis, and mesenteric vein thrombosis. Finally have the pain under control.
The road to recovery looks like 6 months of blood thinners with lots of dr visits and maybe 6 months of blood pressure meds if the pain stays bad. Other than that should be no long-term affects.

Wishing you a fast recovery. I went thru almost the same as you. After a couple of days of having the pain I drove my self to ER (pain and all) the Dr. in ER saw me that bad that she took me in right away and started pain killers, ultrasound, X-ray, and Ct scan. And found the PVT in the CT scan. I was hospitalized for 2 days and put on blood thinners it has helped. But now I have a menstrual cycle that is heavy and going on 4 weeks. Seeing my doctor this week and hematologists. Sleeve doctor says abnormal cycles are regular after surgery but the medicine they gave me also says to be cautious of abnormal cycles.
And like you presurgery no health problems. My husband is hating this surgery. I’m just hopeful that I won’t have any other complications. So I won’t regret it. Weight loss wise I’ve lost about 22 lbs. I got surgery 1/7/19. And I think I’m ready for exercise but with this heavy menstrual idk. Best of luck to you.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:19 PM, mickeemariee said:

Successful pre-op week long liquid diet and day before Clear Liquids. 10.5 lb loss
Successful surgery, anesthesia hit a bit hard and I didn’t end up fully waking up until middle of the night surgery night. Began walking, could hardly sip, all normal stuff. I could immediately pick myself up and didn’t require assistance in sitting up or walking around, was just extremely tired.
Three days post op I began feeling what I assumed were the dreaded gas pains dead center of my abdomen. I called my doctors office, scoured the forums for advice, nothing helped. I tried the milk of magnesia assuming I was backed up, not the case. Tried gasx bc the pain latest 3 days non stop. Couldn’t hardly move, couldn’t sleep, couldn’t walk, couldn’t sit, lay, anything.
So! Fast forward to Thursday (6 days post op) and I’m balling on the phone with my doctors office pleading there’s no way this is gas. So they bump my post op appointment to the next morning if I can wait. If not, they say don’t wait to go to the ER.
Next morning on Friday my mother rushes me to the office, we barely get through the door and they’re sending us to the ER next door.
After many tests, hours of different pain meds that didn’t work...a ct scan shows a prominent Portal vein thrombosis. A massive and extremely painful blood clot in my chest bc of the surgery.
Little pre surgery info, I’m extremely healthy. I’ve never had heart burn, acid reflux, diabetes, heart problems, any issues health wise.
I’ve now been in the hospital for over a week dealing with the excruciating pain, blood thinners, 6 days of NO food OR Water, not even ice chips. Talk about torture.

That's crazy. Get well soon!!!!

Oh my goodness! I went through the same painful experience 1.5 weeks after surgery! 😩 Surgeon’s Office told me it’s just gas pain....I said well after 2 days of constant abdominal pain and 2 nights without sleep I’m going to the ER! CT scan revealed mesenteric vein thrombosis and spent 4 days in hospital. Gas pain my a**!!! Now on blood thinner for 3 months and quite a few extra doctor visits. Yes, I agree if your pain is at a 10 or doesn’t feel “normal” for you, get yourself to the dang hospital! You know your body best!

On 1/11/2019 at 6:19 PM, mickeemariee said:

I has a similar experience but mine was a pulmonary embolism in my lung. Excruciating painful and took them too long to diagnose on my opinion. Spent and addition 10 days in hospital. Terrible. But no surgery regrets

Good grief! Glad you got there in time that nothing *more* severe happened. Get well!

OMG all those clots, maybe the old saying is true TRUST YOUR GUT-IT KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON!

On 01/11/2019 at 19:19, mickeemariee said:

Mickeemariee, i am going through the same thing right now. Was sleeve on 5/6 completely healthy other than being 235lbs. Kept feeling a pain on my side which was dismissed by “muscle pains” was doing okay until Sunday nausea vomiting yellow bile went to ER and CT showed portal venous thrombosis. Now on blood thinners anywhere from 6 months- a year. I see you have been on it since January how are you doing now? I’m so worried. I keep thinking what did i do to myself?

I had a very similar exp, and it turned out to be a clot in my lung. the pain was terrible and the nursing staff chalked it up to gas pains. it was awful.... took a week for them to determine that I was telling the truth that something wasn't right. but i did thinners for a few months and now everything is fine. I apparently clot easily, being that this is my second clot, both provoked by surgeries. so for future i have to tell all, that I clot easily

On 1/12/2019 at 6:43 PM, mickeemariee said:

Thank y’all! Just got out of the hospital today. Was in for over a week and had/have portal vein thrombosis, splenic vein thrombosis, and mesenteric vein thrombosis. Finally have the pain under control.
The road to recovery looks like 6 months of blood thinners with lots of dr visits and maybe 6 months of blood pressure meds if the pain stays bad. Other than that should be no long-term affects.

I’m really sorry for all you’ve been through... I will pray it’s onwards and upwards from here on in..best of luck you’ve had a rough time of it for sure 🙏