Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who has had the sleeve? How did you do? Pros and cons? Would you do it again?

I’m planning to have either the band or the sleeve and would love to hear back from people who had either of these and your thoughts? Did you have success? Did you have complications? How much weight loss and how long?

I had the sleeve. My only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner. I’ve heard of several people that have had complications with the band and have converted to sleeve. I lost close to 40 prior to surgery (May) and I’ve lost a total of 135 since the beginning. Good luck in whatever you choose!

Hi, I had the gastric sleeve. I have absolutely no regrets!!!. I agree with Dubbs, I should have done it sooner! I did my research about the procedure, to make sure I choose the right one. There were some tough times in the beginning , however the way I feel now. Everything was worth it!

I, like Dubbs, only wish I had done it sooner. I haven't experienced any issues. I lost 58 post pre-op. I've lost 139 post op; my surgery was 3/20/18.

I ALSO HAVE HAD THE SLEEVE ONLY THING I WOULD CHANGE IF I COULD WAS GO BACK IN TIME AND DO IT TEN YEARS SOONER GOOD LUCK WITH WHICH EVER YOU CHOOSE ONLY ONE CHOICE FOR ME (FOR ME NOT TRYING TO GET A DEBATE GOING THIS IS MY CHOICE )

3 hours ago, HMA said:

I’m planning to have either the band or the sleeve and would love to hear back from people who had either of these and your thoughts? Did you have success? Did you have complications? How much weight loss and how long?

Ask your bariatric program is they offers an information seminar. They will talk about all the different types of surgeries and discuss success rates, expected weight loss, complications, pros/cons and take peoples questions. Your Surgeon will have your medical history at your pre op appointment. He/she will suggest a surgery that may work best for you. Many surgeons don't do the band anymore. Check your office.

Four years out from surgery. I had great results with the sleeve. It was less invasive for me. ( my intestines are not altered) My height weight 254. I weighed 234 the day of surgery 2014. Hit my goal of 140 in six months. I now maintain in the 130's. Even if the weight loss was slower I would have been happy. We all lose at different rates.

Things to know about the sleeve:

After my sixth month, I can tolerate any food with no dumping syndrome. It's important to eat healthy and stay within my calories and macros. Going back to old behaviors I would gain weight back.

You have your best surgery restriction in the first few months. Months to a year out you will notice you can consume more food. The restriction is less (your stomach has not grown back to full size)It will be important for behavior change and not going over you calories and macros for weight loss and maintaining.

Most sleevers can tolerate sugar. Less change of dumping syndrome. If sugar is an issue, other types of surgery may be worth looking into.

I wish you the best,

Jenn

Edited by Healthy_life

I had the sleeve 12/20, am down almost 30lbs. Best thing I ever did - I like the fact that my basic digestion hasn’t changed - my appetite is gone and I i am sticking to the program . I also am adamant I will never have the sugar and carbs and even alcohol the way I used to - you have to commit to a new lifestyle . Focus on intake and expenditure - ensure u get sufficient exercise . I have heard multiple bad stories about the band and many people get it taken out and replace it with the sleeve. Good luck !

I can vouch the band did not work for me I had it 11 years and had it removed this October. I was 306# when I got the band and 11 years later I was at 300 when they removed it Scheduled for the sleeve February 5th. Super Excited

Agree with above poster, you need to have a good conversation with your doctor to help decide which is best for you.

I can only offer my own experience. I have been banded and I have been sleeved.

I was banded in 2005. I did well at first, but when my gallbladder took a crap and my doctor didn't diagnose it properly, I was in absolute misery and afraid to eat for about 6 months. Ultimately, I lost 85 lbs with the band. I gained a little back towards the end, but maybe 20 lbs. Thankfully not all of it. I was never able to tolerate a fill in my band and after I switched surgeons, I learned that my original surgeon placed the band too high on the stomach. After the gallbladder thing, I had ongoing reflux and slept nearly sitting up for the rest of my time banded. I lived that way, miserably, for almost 5 years until my surgeon's only answer was to just take the darn thing out. I got a copy of my op report during my sleeve pre-op process. The surgeon reported that my band slipped. I suspect it happened with the gallbladder issue because I was never the same after all that vomiting.

I lived without the band for 8 years and did fairly well maintaining my weight, overweight, but at least not morbidly obese. In late 2013, I had some major life changing events and looking back, I was doing some comfort eating and binge eating. I gained ALL of my weight back. I just couldn't seem to get back on track, so last year I had the sleeve done. I don't regret it. I feel "normal" and after about 10 months, I've lost 72lbs. My weight loss has been much slower with the sleeve, but they tell me it's because my body's been through this with the band. To get to my ultimate weight loss goal I have about 45 to go, but honestly, I'd just be happy to get under 200lbs and that's only 20 lbs away! Aside from the initial recovery, I feel great. I never feel deprived. The only time I feel bad is if I've overdone it a bit. Then, I'm uncomfortable for a while until the food passes. I have a little bit of nighttime reflux, but it's nothing like with the band. My gastroenterologist says I have a small hiatal hernia, which we'll talk about addressing at my next appointment.

I don't necessarily regret having the band, but it did mess me up a bit. I was thankful that it helped me lose weight. In exchange, I was rather miserable with it for years and it left me with a lot of scarring that made my sleeve surgery more complicated. I don't regret having the sleeve at all, but I will admit to having a little bit of remorse that I can no longer use food as a comfort. I've been forced to find better coping mechanisms, which isn't a bad thing. For the first time in my life, I feel like I have more control over food and my weight. I have HOPE for a future without dealing with morbid obesity.

Best of luck to you!

On 1/11/2019 at 3:50 PM, HMA said:

My advice would be not to do the band. Many surgeons don't even do them anymore. I was sleeved on 12/4/18 and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I just had the gastric sleeve a month ago. Like everyone else has said my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I didn't have any complications whatsoever from the surgery and am healing just fine. I've lost 16 pounds in a month and 15" overall, so that's a good start.

I walked into the doctor's office and he said "what would you like to do?" I said "the band." He said "no, we aren't doing that. I take as many of those things out as I put in. You can go with the gastric sleeve." Me: "alrighty then!" I had the sleeve on 1/9 (just four days ago). I felt a huge regret immediately after but as I start to feel better and have lost 9 pounds in those four days, I am good so far with my decision.

I had the sleeve. I,like many people am sorry I didn't do it sooner. It's the best thing I could have done for myself. I had surgery in July of 2017 and I have lost 202 pounds. I couldn't be happier. My surgeon doesn't even do band surgery anymore. She said she does a lot of band removals because people have complications or they want them out because they do not work.

I looked into all the different options and did so much research it made my head spin. Talked to different people my wife or I knew that had done different procedures and decided on the sleeve. I hadn't even heard of it when I first started doing my research but pretty quickly it became my surgery of choice and other people's stories did nothing but enforce that. I was sleeved a month ago and like everybody else, only wish I had done it sooner! The first couple of days are hard but so worth it. Good luck in whatever you choose though!

I was scheduled for gastric bypass but my intestine was too short so the surgeon did the sleeve. I m not losing as fast as I would like I had it in October 2018. Down a little more than 33 lbs. but not wrinkling up either. 😁