Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Years Post OP and struggling

Hello everyone!

Hope you are all well on your weight loss journey.

I had VSG in September 2016 and it was the best thing I have ever done in my life. I went from 300 lbs to 199 a year later. After my surgery I was very committed to working out 4-5 times a week, and eating the appropriate amounts thanks to the restriction and not feeling the hunger. However, I am now 2 years post surgery and I am struggling. I stopped weighing myself regularly and was shocked to see I am at 217 lbs. My clothes feel tighter, my body looks a little looser (since I am not working out regularly as I used to) and although my restriction is still there, I am having trouble telling myself to stop when I should, while eating. I did not have surgery just to gain weight and go back to the eating habits that put me here in the first place. Eating has always made me really happy and although I have changed my relationship with food, I feel some of those unhealthy behaviors creeping back up, like:

-Eating when Im already full

-craving sweets and carbs

- emotional eating/ eating as a reward

I still do not eat anywhere close to what I used to, but I am struggling to get back on track. I am not sure how to go about it. I've thought about starting Keto, which is similar to what I was doing post op anyway, but Im not even sure Id be able to eat all that food in one sitting.

Im not really sure how to move forward. I've read about the pouch reset- is that tried and true? And, I would really like to get the sugar and carb cravings under control and not indulge whatsoever. I feel like i have been craving sweets and indulging more than I ever have in my life.

I know 15 lbs may not seem like a lot to some people, but it is a huge deal to me. I've also looked at pictures from last year vs this year, and my body is definitely not as small, or toned or cut. I was lucky enough not to have any loose skin and actually toned up when working out so...do i just go back to Protein Shakes, cut my meals in half and work out 4-5 times a week like post op?

How do I kick the carb/sugar cravings? Is there a replacement that would fulfill the craving without the fat etc?

Do I invest in a personal trainer so I can commit to this and get my ass in gear?

I am really at a loss- I feel like I don't know where to start. And for someone who has been overweight most of their life, this is really getting me down.

Any advice or words of wisdom you can send my way, would be so greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

I think you already know many of the answers to your questions. You got out of your healthy rhythm and need to find the motivation to get back on track. I would suggest you make an appointment with the nutritionist at your surgeon's practice to discuss what's going on with your weight loss. You don't want to let it go for too long. If you think working with a personal trainer will get you motivated, go for it! Weight is lost in the kitchen, not the gym--but, working out can be a good motivator for eating healthy.

Also, you can definitely do Keto after bariatric surgery. I am only 3 weeks out and I am essentially doing keto. Obviously, I am eating more Protein and my macro doesn't look exactly like the ideal Keto macro, but I cut my carb intake to less than 20g of net carbs per day. I am getting my 100g + of protein a day and the rest of my calories are from healthy fats like avocado. It's been enough to put me into a state of ketosis and I think it's helping me along the way. Plus, I am very happy with the foods I am eating. For me, this is a sustainable lifestyle. If you're a carb addict, it can be hard to give up those carbs--it takes about 4 days to get through the "withdrawal" and even a little longer with keto, but it's totally doable. You can definitely do it... think about how you were able to handle the pre-op liquid diet. Keto is way easier than that!!!

2 hours ago, Nayro827 said:

I am really at a loss- I feel like I don't know where to start. And for someone who has been overweight most of their life, this is really getting me down.

Start today! Procrastination, giving up and excuses will not burn calories or help you lose weight. Give yourself some tough. Love you don't want a small gain to turn into a large gain.

Join a weight loss challenge to keep you on track. Some on this site or google them.

If your not logging your food. Get back in the habit again.

I've thought about starting Keto, which is similar to what I was doing post op anyway, but Im not even sure Id be able to eat all that food in one sitting.

You have lost the weight before you can do it again. Years out, we can get a bit complacent or slip back into old behaviors. I'm four years out I've also had to lose a regain. It's work. It's the same work we put in our first year. It may mean overcoming some mental battles to get back into your weight loss mojo.

pouch reset or real food?

Some people can go back to liquids and progress in food stages. shakes never make me feel satisfied. If liquids are too restrictive for you, Choose a whole/real food diet that you can be consistent with. If you can't consume your weight loss calorie/macro goals, spread them out to five to six small meals. Log your food.

How do I kick the carb/sugar cravings? Is there a replacement that would fulfill the craving without the fat etc?

Accept the you will feel crappy for a bit as you detox. Get temptations out of your house. Keep health sweet and salty options on hand. (IDK much about keto. I'm sure others can give you better options) Examples that I use Sweet: fruit, can dip it in Sugar Free Chocolate or caramel Syrup. Salty: I make chicken fajitas without a tortilla or eat Jerky.

After my surgery I was very committed to working out 4-5 times a week

Do I invest in a personal trainer so I can commit to this and get my ass in gear?

The best workout is the one you will be consistent with. A trainer or on your own with a gym membership. Whatever works for you.

Hello everyone!

Hope you are all well on your weight loss journey.

I had VSG in September 2016 and it was the best thing I have ever done in my life. I went from 300 lbs to 199 a year later. After my surgery I was very committed to working out 4-5 times a week, and eating the appropriate amounts thanks to the restriction and not feeling the hunger. However, I am now 2 years post surgery and I am struggling. I stopped weighing myself regularly and was shocked to see I am at 217 lbs. My clothes feel tighter, my body looks a little looser (since I am not working out regularly as I used to) and although my restriction is still there, I am having trouble telling myself to stop when I should, while eating. I did not have surgery just to gain weight and go back to the eating habits that put me here in the first place. Eating has always made me really happy and although I have changed my relationship with food, I feel some of those unhealthy behaviors creeping back up, like:
-Eating when Im already full
-craving sweets and carbs
- emotional eating/ eating as a reward

I still do not eat anywhere close to what I used to, but I am struggling to get back on track. I am not sure how to go about it. I've thought about starting Keto, which is similar to what I was doing post op anyway, but Im not even sure Id be able to eat all that food in one sitting.

Im not really sure how to move forward. I've read about the pouch reset- is that tried and true? And, I would really like to get the sugar and carb cravings under control and not indulge whatsoever. I feel like i have been craving sweets and indulging more than I ever have in my life.
I know 15 lbs may not seem like a lot to some people, but it is a huge deal to me. I've also looked at pictures from last year vs this year, and my body is definitely not as small, or toned or cut. I was lucky enough not to have any loose skin and actually toned up when working out so...do i just go back to Protein Shakes, cut my meals in half and work out 4-5 times a week like post op?

Any advice or words of wisdom you can send my way, would be so greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

I am 18 months out and am in the same boat. I did a pantry purge this morning and am looking forward to filling my home with healthy yummy foods again. You lost the weight the first time and know what it takes to do it again. For me I noticed coffee is a trigger food. I drink coffee and want "just a bite" of a donut and once I have that bite of donut how bad could Pasta be? It's a slippery slope of excuses that got me here in the first place! Think about trigger foods or activities that maybe are not supporting your healthier lifestyle. You got this! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, Nayro827 said:

Do I invest in a personal trainer so I can commit to this and get my ass in gear

In order- there is no easy way to get rid of the carb sugar cravings (in my opinion) other than going cold turkey and just doing it. Suck it up. Don't eat anything more than 10g carb per serving and go back to logging your food. Everytime you want something sweet, drink Water or crystal light. Make sure you are getting at least 100 ounces of water a day.

Personal trainer - yes. Accountability. If you have paid for it and have someone tailoring a plan for your needs, that is the best thing. Group accountability is great too - some kind of class where people will make you accountable if you don't show up. (I do a cross fit type class - if one of the 7 of us is out - we know and often worry that they are sick, etc. If they just miss, we bust their butt about it.)

Get back in the gym. Now. Abs are made in the kitchen but perfected in the gym. You want those clothes to fit better, start doing some resistance training. Get some cardio in.

You got this.

2 hours ago, SteveT74 said:

I think you already know many of the answers to your questions. You got out of your healthy rhythm and need to find the motivation to get back on track. I would suggest you make an appointment with the nutritionist at your surgeon's practice to discuss what's going on with your weight loss. You don't want to let it go for too long. If you think working with a personal trainer will get you motivated, go for it! Weight is lost in the kitchen, not the gym--but, working out can be a good motivator for eating healthy.

Also, you can definitely do Keto after bariatric surgery. I am only 3 weeks out and I am essentially doing keto. Obviously, I am eating more Protein and my macro doesn't look exactly like the ideal Keto macro, but I cut my carb intake to less than 20g of net carbs per day. I am getting my 100g + of Protein a day and the rest of my calories are from healthy fats like avocado. It's been enough to put me into a state of ketosis and I think it's helping me along the way. Plus, I am very happy with the foods I am eating. For me, this is a sustainable lifestyle. If you're a carb addict, it can be hard to give up those carbs--it takes about 4 days to get through the "withdrawal" and even a little longer with keto, but it's totally doable. You can definitely do it... think about how you were able to handle the pre-op liquid diet. Keto is way easier than that!!!

Thank you Steve! I think you're right. I know what I have to do, I just need to get my a$$ in gear and do it.

I'm going to try the pouch reset thing first to get my head back in that mindset and then move onto keto from there.

Good luck on your journey! It seems like you're already doing great!!

1 hour ago, Healthy_life said:

Start today! Procrastination, giving up and excuses will not burn calories or help you lose weight. Give yourself some tough. Love you don't want a small gain to turn into a large gain.

Join a weight loss challenge to keep you on track. Some on this site or google them.

If your not logging your food. Get back in the habit again.

You have lost the weight before you can do it again. Years out, we can get a bit complacent or slip back into old behaviors. I'm four years out I've also had to lose a regain. It's work. It's the same work we put in our first year. It may mean overcoming some mental battles to get back into your weight loss mojo.

pouch reset or real food?

Some people can go back to liquids and progress in food stages. shakes never make me feel satisfied. If liquids are too restrictive for you, Choose a whole/real food diet that you can be consistent with. If you can't consume your weight loss calorie/macro goals, spread them out to five to six small meals. Log your food.

Accept the you will feel crappy for a bit as you detox. Get temptations out of your house. Keep health sweet and salty options on hand. (IDK much about Keto. I'm sure others can give you better options) Examples that I use Sweet: fruit, can dip it in Sugar Free Chocolate or caramel Syrup. Salty: I make chicken fajitas without a tortilla or eat Jerky.

The best workout is the one you will be consistent with. A trainer or on your own with a gym membership. Whatever works for you.

This was so incredibly helpful, Exactly what I needed to hear!

I'm going to try the pouch reset to get me back in the mindset I need to be. Adding workouts to that plan should get me into a successful habit of keeping up with both.

Thank you so, so much!!

1 hour ago, HealthierMe193 said:

I am 18 months out and am in the same boat. I did a pantry purge this morning and am looking forward to filling my home with healthy yummy foods again. You lost the weight the first time and know what it takes to do it again. For me I noticed coffee is a trigger food. I drink coffee and want "just a bite" of a donut and once I have that bite of donut how bad could Pasta be? It's a slippery slope of excuses that got me here in the first place! Think about trigger foods or activities that maybe are not supporting your healthier lifestyle. You got this!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am the same way- I always enjoy some sugary starch like a croissant or cookie with my coffee and that is my biggest trigger. I'm going to do a pantry purge tonight as soon as I get home and I'm going to try the pouch reset idea for the next 10 days. Hopefully, that will help me get into the restrictive and healthy mindset to really get back to my healthy habits.

Thank you so much and good luck!

1 hour ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

In order- there is no easy way to get rid of the carb sugar cravings (in my opinion) other than going cold turkey and just doing it. Suck it up. Don't eat anything more than 10g carb per serving and go back to logging your food. Everytime you want something sweet, drink Water or crystal light. Make sure you are getting at least 100 ounces of Water a day.

Personal trainer - yes. Accountability. If you have paid for it and have someone tailoring a plan for your needs, that is the best thing. Group accountability is great too - some kind of class where people will make you accountable if you don't show up. (I do a cross fit type class - if one of the 7 of us is out - we know and often worry that they are sick, etc. If they just miss, we bust their butt about it.)

Get back in the gym. Now. Abs are made in the kitchen but perfected in the gym. You want those clothes to fit better, start doing some resistance training. Get some cardio in.

You got this.

yes!!! Everything you said! Im going to do the pouch reset idea to get my mind back on track and my fintess will follow.

I've been toying with the idea of a trainer for years but I think since they can hold me accountable its the best option for me right now.

I've tried to explain to my family and friends how food is a real addiction and they cant seem to understand why I have to go to such great lengths.

Thank you so much for this and your encouragement!