Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IBS-D & what surgery did you chose

I am almost 4 months away from getting my surgery! I just am not sure which one I want. I have had IBS-D all my life but was just diagnosed a few years ago and I finally just found a doctor and medication that helps me a few months ago. On a good day I go to the bathroom about 10x a day and on a bad day its about every 5-10 minutes from the time I wake up till I go to bed. When I first started researching I wanted the VSG because it honestly scared me thinking that my intestines would be messed with. At my first appointment I was told the Roux-en-Y would be best because it causes Constipation. My third appointment I was told the VSG would be best due to my intestinal issues. I really cant get an answer from my GI doctor about which he thinks would be best. I've been researching but the internet has such differing opinions on everything and I am more confused now than I was six months ago.

So if you have symptoms that sound anything like mine can you please let me know which surgery you went with and why that was your decision?

Edited by Samantha T

I also have ibs-d and have had it for about 15 years. This was also a concern of mine when I made my decision to start this journey and it still is. My Dr. told me that it was my decision to have either the rny or vsg. He said my ibs-d would more than likely remain the same with either. I'm choosing vsg simply because I feel my system moves food through it so fast now that I don't need anymore malabsorption issues. Hope this helps.

Thank you! Its nice to hear another persons opinion on this. When I asked at my last appointment they told me to do more research and to make a decision. I have to do 6 months of weigh ins before I can have my surgery and on the 29th its my 4th one so I have a little bit before I have to make a decision.

I have IBS-D and I went with gastric bypass. It is true they cant predict if it will get rid or lessen the effects of IBS but with my gallbladder removal at the same time I am now only going to the bathroom once a day instead of 3-4x’s a day and my stomach feels much better. You will still need to stay away from the foods that trigger the IBS but I feel much better since surgery.

I also have to do the six months. My fourth nutritional meeting is February 7th so our surgery dates will be pretty close to each other's.

I have IBS-D and I went with gastric bypass. It is true they cant predict if it will get rid or lessen the effects of IBS but with my gallbladder removal at the same time I am now only going to the bathroom once a day instead of 3-4x’s a day and my stomach feels much better. You will still need to stay away from the foods that trigger the IBS but I feel much better since surgery.
I hope I have those kind of results. It's so hard when I'm reading other people's stories or watching them on YouTube because they never specify what version of IBS they have. So thank you for sharing!

Sent from my moto e5 plus using BariatricPal mobile app

I also have to do the six months. My fourth nutritional meeting is February 7th so our surgery dates will be pretty close to each other's.
My Dr said that after I finish the six months it usually takes a month for the insurance to approve it and then a few weeks more for the surgery. So I'm guessing about mid May hopefully!

I feel the same! It’s so hard to live with ibs-d. Others can’t imagine how it affects your daily life. I feel the restriction of food alone will help us.

Keep us updated as your story unfolds, it's not all that long to Spring and your surgery time.

I feel the same! It’s so hard to live with ibs-d. Others can’t imagine how it affects your daily life. I feel the restriction of food alone will help us.
Now that I'm older it's not something that bothers me at all but when I was in high school it was embarrassing. I wouldn't eat or drink anything till I got home from school because even gum would trigger me. As of right now I don't have any weight related health problems but I'm not naive enough to think that I never will. So between getting this surgery for my health and the chance it can make this a little bit better is enough of a reason for me.

Keep us updated as your story unfolds, it's not all that long to Spring and your surgery time.
I definitely will! I have to keep telling myself I don't need new clothes because it'll be here in no time lol

On 01/13/2019 at 16:54, Samantha T said:

Now that I'm older it's not something that bothers me at all but when I was in high school it was embarrassing. I wouldn't eat or drink anything till I got home from school because even gum would trigger me. As of right now I don't have any weight related health problems but I'm not naive enough to think that I never will. So between getting this surgery for my health and the chance it can make this a little bit better is enough of a reason for me.

I didn’t get it until I was about 34. It affected me greatly because of my job. I couldn’t just take a bathroom break whenever I needed so I suffered great pains during the shift and like you, I couldn’t eat until I got home which three times a week would be after a 16 hour shift. I ultimately ended up taking an early retirement.

I didn’t get it until I was about 34. It affected me greatly because of my job. I couldn’t just take a bathroom break whenever I needed so I suffered great pains during the shift and like you, I couldn’t eat until I got home which three times a week would be after a 16 hour shift. I ultimately ended up taking an early retirement.
Mine started when I was probably around 9 but was always told to take Fiber to treat it. They were always more concerned with the diarrhea part and never with the cramps I had. I'm really lucky right now that I have a job where I can use the bathroom whenever I need to go but I haven't been that lucky in the past.

On 01/13/2019 at 17:10, Samantha T said:

Mine started when I was probably around 9 but was always told to take Fiber to treat it. They were always more concerned with the diarrhea part and never with the cramps I had. I'm really lucky right now that I have a job where I can use the bathroom whenever I need to go but I haven't been that lucky in the past.

Wow you were very young. I was also told to eat more fiber and watch trigger foods. The horrible part about trigger foods is that it’s the foods that are good for us i.e. fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts etc.

Wow you were very young. I was also told to eat more Fiber and watch trigger foods. The horrible part about trigger foods is that it’s the foods that are good for us i.e. fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts etc.
This last time I went to the doctor he told me to go gluten free and it would be very beneficial to me but fruits and grains even the gluten free ones are the ones that trigger me the worst.