Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips on minimizing excess skin

Hey everyone.

I'm about a month pre-op. I'm very excited and nervous for my journey ahead.

The only real reservation I have with this whole journey is the possibility of excess skin.

Obviously it is very much the lesser of two evils. My thought process towards it is if I do everything within my power to minimize it then that's all I can do.

I've been researching. collagen rich foods, heaps of Water and muscle building excersise all that I can manage.

Do you guys have any tips on minimizing excess skin?

Thanks for your help.

S

Edited by Sarah_Marsy

3 hours ago, Sarah_Marsy said:

Hey everyone.

I'm about a month pre-op. I'm very excited and nervous for my journey ahead.

The only real reservation I have with this whole journey is the possibility of excess skin.

Obviously it is very much the lesser of two evils. My thought process towards it is if I do everything within my power to minimize it then that's all I can do.

I've been researching. collagen rich foods, heaps of Water and muscle building excersise all that I can manage.

Do you guys have any tips on minimizing excess skin?

Thanks for your help.

S

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.

Like you said "It is the lesser of the two evils." The fear can be vainity or health related. Weight lifting can help minimize. I don't have much faith in creams, pills and supplements.

I have had no sleep and it's now 5:24a. I'm envisioning a bariatric excess skin commercial. Someone rubbing skin reduction cream on their right arm and not the left. Then showing the bat wing comparison after weight loss.💪 Ughhh it's been a long night.

How much loose skin you will have is an unknown outcome of surgery. Age and how long you have been overweight will be factors in excess skin. Some insurance companies will help cover plastic if you have documented rashes or the skin causes mobility issues. You can also research self pay methods.

Edited by Healthy_life

1 hour ago, Healthy_life said:

How much loose skin you will have is an unknown outcome of surgery. Age and how long you have been overweight will be factors in excess skin. Some insurance companies will help cover plastic if you have documented rashes or the skin causes mobility issues. You can also research self pay methods.

This.

Also some people genetically have better skin than other people.

The more weight you have to lose the more likely it is you will have some loose skin. I have loose skin on my stomach and upper arms the worst, but it is easily concealed with clothing. Much easier concealed than 178 pounds of excess weight.

You can do your best with Water exercise etc but if you have lots of weight to lose, the skin’s elasticity is compromised.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

I'm just a month post-op but started back to the gym 2 weeks after surgery and going resistance exercises with weights and strength training (in addition to cardio of course) to help stave off the loose skin problem that I expect eventually after I've lost 100 pounds. Hoping that getting a headstart on it will help

1 hour ago, KimTriesRNY said:

This.

Also some people genetically have better skin than other people.

The more weight you have to lose the more likely it is you will have some loose skin. I have loose skin on my stomach and upper arms the worst, but it is easily concealed with clothing. Much easier concealed than 178 pounds of excess weight.

You can do your best with Water exercise etc but if you have lots of weight to lose, the skin’s elasticity is compromised.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

This.

3 hours ago, Healthy_life said:

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.

Like you said "It is the lesser of the two evils." The fear can be vainity or health related. Weight lifting can help minimize. I don't have much faith in creams, pills and supplements.

I have had no sleep and it's now 5:24a. I'm envisioning a bariatric excess skin commercial. Someone rubbing skin reduction cream on their right arm and not the left. Then showing the bat wing comparison after weight loss.💪 Ughhh it's been a long night.

This too.

It's really going to be an individual genetic lifestyle based thing. Some hit the lottery and have zero excess no matter what, while some work hard and still need plastics

Tip: If you can

save for plastics and if you don't need it you'll have money to invest in a cool start up, well Water projects in a developing country, new business, house/condo, micro loan charities or world trip...

Safe Journey 🎈

Edited by GreenTealael

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

It's really going to be an individual genetic lifestyle based thing. Some hit the lottery and have zero excess no matter what, while some work hard and still need plastics

Tip: If you can

save for plastics and if you don't need it you'll have money to invest in a cool start up, well Water projects in a developing country, new business, house/condo, micro loan charities or world trip...

Safe Journey 🎈

This