Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sensation of food being stuck in throat 3 weeks post op

Hey everyone I am writing this tonight because I am 3 weeks post-op via gastric bypass. Currently I am in a lot of discomfort because my dietary paperwork said three weeks post-op that I am allowed to have turkey chili. So I proceeded to have a couple of spoons and then I realized it just seemed to not be going down. I felt so uncomfortable and I currently am still uncomfortable. I threw up a couple of times so that feeling can go away and I can feel some relief. It helped a little bit but I still have a weird sensation in my throat. Have any of you experienced this sort of feeling post-operation. It is just this feeling of not being able to swallow and burning it just feels awful. I guess I am still not ready to take on certain sorts of food. I must have not chewed well enough or had swallowed to many spoons back to back. I called my surgeon and she was no help all she said was that I have to wait till it passes. Blehh I feel yuck 😧😝😝

I had something similar, where I had very bad acid reflux and I didn't realize it because I was on antacids it wasn't burning, I was just full of acid. Depending on what antacid you take, you might be able to combine 2, but you have to ask your doctor. Also ask if they can do a chest x-ray with contrast to see if there is a bunch of acid coming up (if your insurance covers it).

Congrats on your surgery! This is pretty much exactly how I felt when I first started on foods and I didn't get off of purees until 4 weeks after surgery. It just felt like the food went down my esophagus then stopped instead of going down into my stomach pouch. Sometimes I couldn't even sit - I had to stand. When it was bad, I even had to take off my bra. Forget even thinking about lying down. I think that tightness is from the swelling which takes a long while to calm down and heal. I figured out pretty quickly what did not agree with me and then I just avoided those things. I had a tricky couple of weeks where so many foods had made me ill that I didn't want anything to do with them, but the foods that agreed with me I was so tired of they made me nauseous. Like mouth-watering, gagging nausea. But, thanks to the folks here, I just kept going. Skip the turkey chili - just leave it behind for now and try it again in a week. Move to the next food you want to try and you will find something that will work. Try tiny bites with a baby spoon spaced out by 5 min (set a timer!) Takes forever but you'll likely feel so much better. Don't worry too much - you are going to be feeling so much better in no time! You can do it!

1 hour ago, Naughty Glitter Goddess said:

Congrats on your surgery! This is pretty much exactly how I felt when I first started on foods and I didn't get off of purees until 4 weeks after surgery. It just felt like the food went down my esophagus then stopped instead of going down into my stomach pouch. Sometimes I couldn't even sit - I had to stand. When it was bad, I even had to take off my bra. Forget even thinking about lying down. I think that tightness is from the swelling which takes a long while to calm down and heal. I figured out pretty quickly what did not agree with me and then I just avoided those things. I had a tricky couple of weeks where so many foods had made me ill that I didn't want anything to do with them, but the foods that agreed with me I was so tired of they made me nauseous. Like mouth-watering, gagging nausea. But, thanks to the folks here, I just kept going. Skip the turkey chili - just leave it behind for now and try it again in a week. Move to the next food you want to try and you will find something that will work. Try tiny bites with a baby spoon spaced out by 5 min (set a timer!) Takes forever but you'll likely feel so much better. Don't worry too much - you are going to be feeling so much better in no time! You can do it!

Hey darling thank you!! Yeah the first few weeks are tough. All in all I have been pretty much just eating like sugar free pudding or Jello or an egg here and there but even that goes down very tough. Low fat yogurts and Soups. This really is a life changing experience without a doubt. I never imagined someone like me would struggle with eating 😂. I just want time to fly by so I can start a "normal" dietary regime and start going to the gym. But for now just soft puree Protein foods and walking. I am stoked though because I have so far lost 16 pounds in 3 weeks! I have much more to go but its all just a work in progress 🤗🤗

1 hour ago, chellyvillen said:

I had something similar, where I had very bad acid reflux and I didn't realize it because I was on antacids it wasn't burning, I was just full of acid. Depending on what antacid you take, you might be able to combine 2, but you have to ask your doctor. Also ask if they can do a chest x-ray with contrast to see if there is a bunch of acid coming up (if your insurance covers it).

If it continues I might do that. But I think its my bodys way of simply telling me that some foods are still too early to tolerate. Congrats on you taking this journey as well!

Good thing you knew to stepback, if you persist you will vomit and as a veteran urp-er it is absolutely no fun. Found out mine was complicated by being strictured stepped back down, but I am taking only a token amount by mouth. Being largely sustained by TPN through a PICC line in my upper left arm, I turned out to be the rare occurance doctors mention in their pre-surgery warnings, frankly I didn't ask for this honor! But it is fixable and my doctors know the interventions to do. Just a matter of time until I am better!

I’m sorry you all are going through this, but I’m glad I’m not alone! It’s funny it happened to you with turkey because that’s what happened to me with turkey too. I am 3 weeks post op as well. I bought 99% lean ground turkey breast and the first time I tried it I got the lump in my chest with nausea. Felt like burping would help but it didn’t. Thought I was going to vomit but didn’t. Passed in a couple of hours. 2nd time I was at work and barely ate half of my 3oz when it happened again. Luckily my boss was out of the office so I could hide out in his office. Needless to say I’m done with turkey for a while.

Did the sensation finally go away,on its own?

18 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Did the sensation finally go away,on its own?

Yes actually it went away. Thank you for asking!! Its usually something that lasts about a day. So all is well so far. How is everything with you going?

I'll know more Friday when my next Endoscopy is scheduled, thought for awhile I was getting a whole lot better, but urped up Friday and Saturday again as well as a little on the first liquid ( propel) I drank this morning. My bariatric staff says I am wrong, but I feel like a Gastric cripple, I get tired hearing " Be patient, you're still healing , albeit slow and steady!" I have never really stalled, but the TPN has slowed me to a pound or 2 a month, but I am assured I am much healthier than when I was hospitalized in Late November and had my PICC line installed. I had dropped 15 pounds, dehydrated and deficient of Protein, so yes I am better, got a sparkle back in my eyes, but my impatience also returned. I want healed, I want it RIGHT NOW, and that's just not reasonable in the long run. But I am in this struggle to win this struggle, I am not stopping now until it is completed. And there may still be people I can help by my example, and that would be Uber-Cool!

Never give up!!! I am so proud of you and you are very inspirational. Especially since you did this later on in life. Keep up the great work and the dedication. I love your posts and answers your hilarious!! 🤗🤗

Why thank you very much. Maybe I just don't accept that I can be a failure, and I can make a stand for those of my generation. Nobody should be counted out for being younger or older, when we come to the realization "I cannot live like this" it should be honored for the strong step it is!

Same thing happened to me with turkey chili . Ground meat doesn’t work for me , I just eat refried Beans with cheese and call it a day