Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fluids after surgery

I had surgery yesterday and was just discharged home from the hospital. I wanted to ask you guys about fluids when you came home.. I’ve been doing the sips every 2-3 minutes as instructed but it’s making me super nauseated. There is honestly no way I’m gonna be able to get 64 ounces in right now. I’m barely able to get 10. Is this bad I can’t get my fluids? Should I call my physician or is it normal not to be able to drink with getting nauseated right after surgery?

I had surgery yesterday and was just discharged home from the hospital. I wanted to ask you guys about fluids when you came home.. I’ve been doing the sips every 2-3 minutes as instructed but it’s making me super nauseated. There is honestly no way I’m gonna be able to get 64 ounces in right now. I’m barely able to get 10. Is this bad I can’t get my fluids? Should I call my physician or is it normal not to be able to drink with getting nauseated right after surgery?
Its totally normal the way you feel. Hopefully they gave you some nausea tabs. I found that using med cups to get in my fluids really helped. Hopefully the nausea will go away soon. Yout body is in the process of healing, things will get better. Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 01/08/2019 at 17:24, NIKKIBEVERLY said:

Its totally normal the way you feel. Hopefully they gave you some nausea tabs. I found that using med cups to get in my fluids really helped. Hopefully the nausea will go away soon. Yout body is in the process of healing, things will get better. Good luck!!

Thank you! Yeah they gave me Zofran but I called the doctor and they just called in something else. Hopefully it works better. I feel pretty good if it wasn’t for this nausea. I’m trying warm broth now hoping that the temperature difference will help.

Thank you! Yeah they gave me Zofran but I called the doctor and they just called in something else. Hopefully it works better. I feel pretty good if it wasn’t for this nausea. I’m trying warm broth now hoping that the temperature difference will help.
Warmer liquid are easier to go down. Anything extremely cold hurts.

On 01/08/2019 at 18:22, NIKKIBEVERLY said:

Warmer liquid are easier to go down. Anything extremely cold hurts.

Yeah it’s not so much pain just every time I drink anything I’m getting nauseous. The broth didn’t help either. :-(

Congrats on your surgery! I'm sorry you're feeling crappy - those first few days can be really rough. You're doing the right thing by reaching out to your team for help with the nausea. I've always been really sensitive to anesthesia and I am so nauseous for days afterwards while it all works its way out of my system. You already know that you need to focus on liquids so if your new nausea meds aren't helping, you just get right back on that phone. Your team is there to help you and they want you to be successful, too.

While there's nothing we can do from here to help you nausea we can totally empathize with how much it sucks! I hope you heal quickly and feel better very, very soon.

I just had surgery yesterday as well, and I am struggling to drink anything at all. Every time I take a tiny sip, I get a weird gurgle and also pain stretching down from my chest into my stomach area. If I drink too quickly, then I get nauseous as well. So I'm taking it super super slow and drinking teeny tiny sips where I can.

Sent from my H60-L04 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the nausea issue as well since my surgery. The only thing that has worked was adding a flavour to the Water. Just a splash of anything changes the weight of the water and helped greatly!

Try warm lemon Water. Our Metabolism changes it to alkaline water. Really helped me.
Day 6. Eating cream of wheat now. Never knew it was so good! Ok it’s normally not but at least it has no artificial sugar taste.

Hmmmm Lemon Water? Sure worth a try!

Only thing that got me through was half orange juice and half Water. I’m still struggling...5 weeks out today.

What I do is Minute Maid 15 and Nestle Splash nocal Water in either lemon or Mandarin Orange, maybe 6-8 oz of each, then I add ice and sip on it for the rest of the day out of my OSU cup they gave me in my surgery pack. Thought it was nice they did that. Of course it would be free advertising anytime somebody saw it. Lets see if I remember it all, eyemask, pair of yellow tready socks, earplugs, hand-gel . my cup and a bottle of Premier Protein yeah I think that's it, no also chapstick in there. Remember I got take- home packs after each baby but didn't expect Grownup Packs, and it came in a choice of Scarlet or Gray small backpack. Got a Scarlet with my surgery, then when I had my November hospitalization I got my PCA to get me a Gray kit. Don't mind publicising them for goodies , I'm thrifty as well as a gleaner of goodies.😛💰