Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone develop Acute Severe Diarrhea

I am 2 months out from my surgery and I developed severe diarrhea a week ago. Just got out of the hospital and they were not able to find anything. The did stool tests and ultrasound and cat scans of my stomach. I also have no appetite at all and if I try to eat even a cracker I feel sooo full for like the next 12 hrs. We all suspect something to do with the surgery. The gastro dr suspects it is related to the cutting of the vagus nerve. Anyone else experience anything like this?

OMG, yes! I was just looking at possible causes for me to have to go to the toilet 6 or 7 times a day with loose, foul :70_poop: I've found an article about diarrhoea after RNY and it says a lot of people uncover an previously unidentified lactose intolerance so the first step is to cut out dairy and see if that helps. Second thing is to try is a course of Probiotics to see if that helps restore the flora in the bowel. It also says that you can try a low dose of Imodium or similar at nighttime to help prevent the early morning run to the loo.

I'm going to start probiotics tonight. I bought some lactobacillus acidophyllus capsules so I thought I'd give that a go for a week to see if it helps. If not then I might see the GP to see if I C. diff. grows on culture.

Here's the link to the paper I found https://asmbs.org/resources/bariatric-surgery-postoperative-concerns-2

Thanks for the info. I was tested for c diff along with a slew of other infections and all were negative. I go like 15-20 times a day and complete Water with the WORST smell ever (sorry TMI). They tried immodium and was not helping so they switched me to lamictol(sp?). Hoping it helps give me a life and appetite again. They said I may have to take forever (yikes). Asked about probiotics n dr said might help so I do want to get some but have no idea where to start so need to research. Anyone know what I should get?

Try the local health food store for probiotics. I bought lactobacillus acidophyllus but I don't know if it's going to work. Fingers crossed.

I agree about the appetite though. I have a real aversion to food now that I never had before. I used to love food but now I'm just meh about it.

thx. Good luck and let me know if it works for you.

I dont have my gallbladder so I had issues on and off before my sleeve. After I had sleeve, it was every single day. I finally went to my doc and they put me on a powder that I mix with juice and drink in the morning before I eat. It's been a life saver! I have had absolutely no issues since the day I started that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, TexasMommy80 said:

I dont have my gallbladder so I had issues on and off before my sleeve. After I had sleeve, it was every single day. I finally went to my doc and they put me on a powder that I mix with juice and drink in the morning before I eat. It's been a life saver! I have had absolutely no issues since the day I started that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Ooh! What's the powder? I started the probiotics last night so I'll give that a week to see how I go (pun intended). If that doesn't work then I'm going to have to try something else. I don't want to give up dairy - I love yogurt, cheese, etc. I will if I absolutely have no choice, but I really don't want to.

Have you tried Lactaid yet?

I'm on Lomotil. It is finally helping to reduce the number of episodes today. I also started some probiotics yesterday. What is the powder? THey had me drinking metamucil mixed with juice in the hospital but it did not help.

Edited by marly18

Well, I think I've figured it out. I had been eating a lot of Protein Bars because I don't really like the taste of the shakes. I stopped eating them on Thursday, so none yesterday. Fewer episodes Friday and none so far today. So, I would take a look at what's in your Protein supplements - shakes, bars, powders, etc. I found that the ones I was buying were full of whey (which really bothers my tummy) as well as a bunch of artificial sweeteners including malitol, sorbitol, polydextrose and a bunch of other unpronouncable things. One of the nurses I work with was saying that those sweeteners can cause diarrhoea.