Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Month Breakdown

So I am officially 5 weeks post-op today. This past weekend my wife and I moved into a larger place where our kids could all have their own bedrooms. I was somewhat frustrated by the fact that I couldn’t really help moving a lot of things and had to rely on the movers, family, and friends to do much more than I could. By the second day of moving I had reached my end. The 600 calories I’m taking in with the post-op soft foods diet just gave me no energy to do much of anything.

That night I had a bit of a break down. Like most of us I’ve had varying success of losing the same 20, 40, or 80 pounds over and over again. With every successful diet attempt I’ve tried in the past I’ve allowed myself “cheat days” where I could enjoy bingeing on what I had deprived myself of all week. While this journey has been somewhat easier in the sense that the weight comes off more easily, and the hunger pains are relatively non-exitant...in some ways its so much harder, because there are no days off.

I mentioned to my wife, that I feel at a bit of a loss. Before my surgery I would turn to food, or alcohol, or an occasional smoke to relieve the stress. But now, I don’t have any of those things available to me. I know it’s for the betterment of my health, and that my decision to have the surgery was in large part because I knew that I had to make drastic changes to the way I consume everything in my life. More than that...as strange as it seems, I loved food. It was a great friend to me that always made me feel better. And ever since the surgery, it’s weird to say, but I kind of hate eating. I hate how it makes me feel, I hate the process of chewing so much, but even worse...I hate that I hate it. Because now it’s like this friend that I had as a physical and emotional crutch is just, gone.

To end this on a positive note, I only weigh myself once a week on Monday mornings. This morning I saw that I lost 9 pounds over the last week. (Moving was certainly the most excercise I’ve done since surgery!) I’m down 62 pounds since I first walked into the Bariatric center eight months ago, and over 40 pounds since my surgery. I know this is going to get better, and I’m happy with the choice I made. But I know that not everyday is easy. I read that a lot of people seem to hit this same buyers remorse feeling about a month out, so it helps knowing that I’m not alone.

Here’s to the better days. Hang in there...it will be worth it.

The surgery has certainly affected my moods and hormones. I get angrier quicker, am less tolerant, cry more easily. So I can relate to what you've said.

It does get easier (so I'm told) and your weight loss so far is phenomenal!! Well done... Keep doing what you're doing!

:)

I feel really similarly at times. The usual stresses where I’d turn to food seem to just fester because I don’t have that stress relief anymore. I am only 3 weeks post-op and haven’t figured out a way to replace that stress-eating behavior with a better choice.

I don't know what your age is (I'm 51) but our surgery dates and other stats are pretty close. I recently started using Zipfizz. I read on another forum that other people started using it after WLS and it made a big difference in their mood and energy level. I started using it and I like it. It doesn't have carbonation like the name would suggest. It's mostly a huge shot of B12 and minuscule amounts of other Vitamins. I bought some off Amazon but you can get it almost anywhere. Maybe give that a shot and see if that helps you too.

IN my backwaters of a place, I had never heard of it, but might look into it.

I am only 2 weeks Post-op, but over the last few days the reality of the long reaching effects of having this surgery have become more and more clear to me. This is both super exciting and very scary - all at the same time!! I am excited to think about all of the positive changes that I will be making over the next few months, but I am also nervous as I begin to realize that there is no going back - I too have lost the comforts offered by my "comfort foods" - I will have to find other ways to deal - I can only move forward!! But every time I start feeling a little overwhelmed, I remind myself to focus on the positive changes - being able to be more active, without worrying about my knees not being able to keep up, traveling without the anxiety over crowding the poor person in the seat next to me, knowing that I am doing everything I can to be the healthiest, happiest version of me!!

I can do this - I WILL do this!!

You are not alone in your feelings. Many of else have felt the same. I needed to learn how to live with food and not think of it as entertainment. Food is fuel. I went to a psychologist to help me work towards this new relationship. This was very helpful and insightful to me. That being said, I have found some foods that help me not feel deprived. I love sugar free big sticks. They sell them at Stater Brothers and Walmart. Their consistency is perfect and they count as Fluid.

Looks like Zipfizz is good-for-you version of the Fizzie Tablets of my youth, what the hey, it would perk up my drinking schedule. Does it increase your burping much?

6 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Looks like Zipfizz is good-for-you version of the Fizzie Tablets of my youth, what the hey, it would perk up my drinking schedule. Does it increase your burping much?

NO, I just dump it in a bottle of Water and put the cap back on then shake it up. I open the lid a few times and the fizzing stops. After a minute or so it's flat. It's like drinking water with Crystal light after the magic potion effect is over.:D

think I will order some, googled it and found accessible places. ThanksEd_NW!

11 hours ago, SATSleeve said:

So I am officially 5 weeks post-op today. This past weekend my wife and I moved into a larger place where our kids could all have their own bedrooms. I was somewhat frustrated by the fact that I couldn’t really help moving a lot of things and had to rely on the movers, family, and friends to do much more than I could. By the second day of moving I had reached my end. The 600 calories I’m taking in with the post-op soft foods diet just gave me no energy to do much of anything.

That night I had a bit of a break down. Like most of us I’ve had varying success of losing the same 20, 40, or 80 pounds over and over again. With every successful diet attempt I’ve tried in the past I’ve allowed myself “cheat days” where I could enjoy bingeing on what I had deprived myself of all week. While this journey has been somewhat easier in the sense that the weight comes off more easily, and the hunger pains are relatively non-exitant...in some ways its so much harder, because there are no days off.

I mentioned to my wife, that I feel at a bit of a loss. Before my surgery I would turn to food, or alcohol, or an occasional smoke to relieve the stress. But now, I don’t have any of those things available to me. I know it’s for the betterment of my health, and that my decision to have the surgery was in large part because I knew that I had to make drastic changes to the way I consume everything in my life. More than that...as strange as it seems, I loved food. It was a great friend to me that always made me feel better. And ever since the surgery, it’s weird to say, but I kind of hate eating. I hate how it makes me feel, I hate the process of chewing so much, but even worse...I hate that I hate it. Because now it’s like this friend that I had as a physical and emotional crutch is just, gone.

To end this on a positive note, I only weigh myself once a week on Monday mornings. This morning I saw that I lost 9 pounds over the last week. (Moving was certainly the most excercise I’ve done since surgery!) I’m down 62 pounds since I first walked into the Bariatric center eight months ago, and over 40 pounds since my surgery. I know this is going to get better, and I’m happy with the choice I made. But I know that not everyday is easy. I read that a lot of people seem to hit this same buyers remorse feeling about a month out, so it helps knowing that I’m not alone.

Here’s to the better days. Hang in there...it will be worth it.

Congrats on your weight loss!

Changing behaviors is not easy or comfortable. Facing the things that got us to our high weight and overcoming them is one of the greatest gifts out of surgery. Much of weight loss is the mental battles.

download.jpg

I workout to replace stress emotional eating.

Edited by Healthy_life

I too use spinning and working out to improve mood and reduce anxiety . If that’s not accessible I go for a long walk !

Walk...... Whenever I start feeling like that I walk. I've replaced my dependency on food as my comfort creator with walking. Clears my mind. Helps me refocus and remember they why's of this choice. It's become like food was for me. My comfort. Plus it has amazing side effects. Walk

19 hours ago, Lolo 2020 said:

I too use spinning and working out to improve mood and reduce anxiety . If that’s not accessible I go for a long walk !

I have also been using the working out as a replacement for stress and anxiety reduction. Going to the gym may not be comfortable for everyone (Lolo and I are kind of lower on the BMI to start), but you don't need a gym to exercise. Go for a good long walk (even if you're in a cold place, you can walk the mall). You can focus on a hobby etc. You need to replace the unhealthy stress outlets with healthier choices. I know that's easier said then done.

At the same time, you are still a new sleever (like me). Your new stomach is still swollen and it can a while for all that swelling to subside. Once it does, eating will be more comfortable for you. If you're willing to cook, you can find many healthy, sleeve friendly options out there. I have been cooking lots of sleeve happy meals for myself (and my family) and I have been able to actual enjoy what I eat. There are definitely times when I would like to be able to eat more of what I made, but that's just my fat brain doing it's thing. I needed the surgery so I wouldn't have those extra bites (well, not really bites, more like plates). So, losing out on those extra bites is part of the reason I needed the sleeve. You can still find joy in food, it may just requires a little more creativity and effort.