Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand being Removed, Deciding Sleeve or Bypass

Hi all, I am having my lapband removed after 11 years for acid re-flux issues while sleeping, my GI and my Bariatric Doc both recommend Gastric Bypass because of the sleeve issues with reflux but I am so afraid of dumping and the side effects. My mom had bypass over 10 years ago and still has to go to the bathroom for LONG periods of time after almost every meal. After being on lapband and experiencing the purge, I don't ever want to deal with ANOTHER embarrassing side effect, and my reflux issues now are exacerbated by my lapband so once that is out, I am hoping the reflux will not get worse. I am at 195lbs and still want to lose 30 lbs or so. How bad is dumping for regular people? How bad is the reflux for those on the sleeve, I really need to decide, all thoughts are appreciated.

I would take your surgeon's recommendation since you have acid reflux issues. It's possible that if you got sleeved that this problem would dissipate as you lose weight—but that's definitely not a guarantee. As far as dumping, there are some who have bypass who don't experience dumping. In the same regard, there are some who are sleeved who do experience dumping. I haven't had surgery yet (tomorrow!) so I can't answer your other questions, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to detail their experience 🙂 Good luck with whichever route you go!

Thank you for your response, good luck tomorrow!

I went from lapband with reflux to mini gastric bypass with no reflux (hallelujah). I have dumped a couple of times (due to stupid, stupid choices - repeat after me, a large regular Mocha and Pringles is not a good idea) but in the big scheme that's nothing in comparison to how miserable the reflux was making me. If I don't eat sugar, I don't dump - yay! Explosive diarrhea has happened to me a few times when I've eaten more fat than I should have (chicken wings and skin are from the devil) but again, if I don't eat fatty foods I'm fine.

Overall I feel really good and love, love, love my bypass when I'm following the Rules: Protein first, no sugar, no starchy or beige carbs, low-fat, few liquid calories.

That's been my experience :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, JLondon11 said:

Thank you for your response, good luck tomorrow!

You're welcome and thank you!

The risk of reflux with a sleeve is very high. Most surgeons won’t do a band to sleeve revision if you have a history of reflux

Due to your pre-existing GERD you should definitely have RNY instead of VSG.

Dumping only occurs in about 30% of gastric bypass patients and is controlled by not eating the offending food, which is usually Desserts and sweets. Some GB patients are disappointed when they do NOT experience dumping as it can be a deterrent from eating food that may impair your weight loss/maintenance.