Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help needed, what exercise can i do to drop the fat?

Good morning everyone,

I was sleeved on December 10th 2018 and im trying to get out of my own head but cant, Before my surgery i dropped 80kgs and i exercised alot, but that took me a few years now that ive been lucky enough to have the sleeve i want to achieve the best possible results i can.

So im wondering how much exercise and what do people do?

Sent from my SM-G965F using BariatricPal mobile app

Start walking, going to a gym, cardio, everything. Do everything you can and be as active as you can. There is no right or wrong answer. After surgery, you are still overweight, so you will still be limited to what you can effectively do.

So now is the time to start doing activities you like. Start slowly, and keep adding on to it. Even if walking, keep increasing the distance. Then eventually train to jog a 5k.

The best exercise to burn calories are any of the high intensity interval training activities, but just having surgery, those activities might still be hard. As you loose weight, all activities will become easier, so keep applying yourself because your abilities will keep increasing g everyday and you need to keep up with them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using BariatricPal mobile app

After surgery, I walked for 30 minutes each day. I would describe this walking as hill climbing. My driveway is a step hill and all I have to do is step outside and walk up and down my driveway. It uses two different muscle types. One for going uphill and one for going down.

I would recommend walking. The primary reason is that running puts shock pressure on the joints. And as we get older (I am 70), I see many people my age undergoing knee replacements.

15 hours ago, Wonderwifey said:

Good morning everyone,

I was sleeved on December 10th 2018 and im trying to get out of my own head but cant, Before my surgery i dropped 80kgs and i exercised alot, but that took me a few years now that ive been lucky enough to have the sleeve i want to achieve the best possible results i can.

So im wondering how much exercise and what do people do?

Sent from my SM-G965F using BariatricPal mobile app

I would recommend that you shift the context from "dropping fat" to building lean muscle, overall strength, flexibility, endurance, balance (or whatever you would consider fitness).

That gives you something to work on.

Cardio programming builds cardiovascular and respiratory strength and endurance.

You can use yoga to build strength, flexibility and balance.

Strength training builds lean muscle and the big compound movements also improve balance and cardio-pulmonary health.

Building and exercising lean muscle has significant metabolic benefits that support weight loss.

Research, study and learn - that will be the best thing you can do to support your fitness goals.

Join a gym and work with a personal trainer. This is the best advice I can give you because you need to have someone help you through this process who understands body and movement. I started working with my trainer before surgery and continued after. Do cardio, work with weights - both of which will help you develop lean muscle mass. In some cases, the only way fat is going to go away is via plastics (I know that for a fact).

That being said - find something you enjoy and do it often. My workout week looks something like this now (2+ years out)

Monday - fence 2.5 hours

Tuesday - crossfit class/lifting

Wednesday - fence 2.5 hours

Thursday - cross fit class/lifting

Friday - Pilates 1 hour plus agility training

Saturday - cross fit class

Sunday - compete at fencing or do core and arms work.

I try to fit in a yoga class every week or two. I work out a minimum of 1-2 hours per day. I make the time for me.

I have become a nationally ranked athlete in my sport - a sport I took up after surgery. The key is to get moving and keep moving. I see my trainer 2x monthly to tune up my routine and keep it fresh so I don't get bored.

This should be your mindset:

Carpe Omnia

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using BariatricPal mobile app

Seize Everything? Is that Latin for Whatever works for you, Baby? If so, it is surely a Good Idea.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:08 AM, Kat410 said:

I would recommend that you shift the context from "dropping fat" to building lean muscle, overall strength, flexibility, endurance, balance (or whatever you would consider fitness).

That gives you something to work on.

Cardio programming builds cardiovascular and respiratory strength and endurance.

You can use yoga to build strength, flexibility and balance.

Strength training builds lean muscle and the big compound movements also improve balance and cardio-pulmonary health.

Building and exercising lean muscle has significant metabolic benefits that support weight loss.

Research, study and learn - that will be the best thing you can do to support your fitness goals.

I was going to chime in, but this is so spot on that I'll just quote it and say +1. :)

I would also say that "losing fat" is done 95% in the kitchen with your diet. Not the gym. You can't out-exercise a poor diet.

Edited by BlueCrush

Agreed @BlueCrush!!! Diet is huge

@Wonderwifey- what do you enjoy? Nothing worse than finding a exercise plan and hating it or being bored....that will lead to giving up.

I tried insanity when I first started working out..its tough but it gave results....transitioned to weights, and biking (spinning)/running. (Love weights btw) but I'm a country girl...now those bails of hay are easy to throw!😉

But those are things I enjoy because it incorporates what I like to do in my free time..(hiking, down hill mtn biking, ect)

Once you start seeing the results of building muscle, you may not lose much weight, but I can promise you that you will see a body transformation that you will love...

Ps-take progress pics for yourself...because even if the scale doesnt move your body WILL change.

Good luck💪

Edited by funky_monkey800