Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG with a lower BMI

I have waited almost 11 month to have my surgery (1/7/19) but I have continue to lose weight and I am down to 196 about a 34BMI. I’m wondering what kind of weight loss should be expected?

Please be careful, insurance may not pay bc you have been successful at losing on your own. Ask you dr, talk to your insurance. And look at you, you may not need the surgery, I think that's awesome

On 1/6/2019 at 1:18 PM, mahelpme said:

Please be careful, insurance may not pay bc you have been successful at losing on your own. Ask you dr, talk to your insurance. And look at you, you may not need the surgery, I think that's awesome

Insurance companies generally make their assessment based on your weight at the initial consultation. If you have been approved for surgery, the weight you lose pre-surgery is fine and expected when you go on the pre-op liquid diet!

I am in the same boat as you. I had my surgery on 12/17 with a BMI around 34. Generally, people with lower BMI's tend to do better than average with the VSG. In a number of studies, they found that a 95% of people with a BMI below 40 reached a BMI under 30 within 12 months of surgery. They were also far more likely to lose 70-80% of their excess weight something in the order of 60% of people receiving a VSG with a BMI under 40 were likely to loose 75% of their excess body weight (with many losing 100% or more of their excess body weight). I don't know of any studies of people with BMI's under 35 at the time of surgery, but I would expect the likelihood of a happy outcome to be very high.

Personally, my highest recorded weight was 256. I was 243 when I started my pre-op diet on 12/3. I was 231 on my day of surgery (12/17). And 22 days post-op, I am down to 216 with a BMI of ~32. I am only 16 pounds away from a BMI of 29.8 (officially not obese!). This is the lightest I have been in over 10 years (I got very close to 216 close on two diets, but with lots of suffering and a huge and fast rebound). I have no idea what I'll weight when this weight loss phase of this journey reaches its bottom, but I am just focusing on eating a healthy diet (following my group's plan to the letter) and getting lots of exercise (which is easier when you start the journey at a lower BMI).

I also started at 231 with a BMI of 34 and am down to 214 in just under 3 weeks . I think the weight loss is quick if u ramp up activity and follow the 600-800 calories and 60-80g of Protein plan

It happened to me, my initial wt qualified me for surg, day of surg my bmi and wt as down, insurance did not pay,

Oh THAT is just terrible, to work so doggone hard and then have them wuss out on You! Sometimes you just have to HATE insurance companies, their whole philosophy is Much Money In*****Little Money Out!

Hey there...

Im scheduled for VSG on January 28th. Starting BMI of 36 with 1 co-morbidity (mild sleep apnea). I worked the 6 month program with my surgeon and on my pre-op visit this past Friday his medical secretary told me that my insurance can sometimes be difficult approving the surgery; additionally she has never seen an approval with a low starting BMI like mine. I am seriously stressed out about this now. I start my 2 week pre-op diet on Monday and have to sit and wait to see if the insurance will approve me or not. I asked the secretary what the process is if I am denied; she explained that my surgeon will call Aetna and appeal the decision but if he cant get them to change their mind then that's it. Ive worked really hard for this, I don't think I should be penalized because of my low BMI! The surgeon said he wished more people came in before their BMI got out of control but the insurance companies can sometimes be archaic in their policy decisions. ugggggg

Keep ur BMI above 35

if not I have a great self pay dr in florida

Thank you Lolo 2020! My doc is self-pay as well; its just irritating that I pay outrageous insurance premiums and have done everything the insurance has asked me to. and they might deny. I know I am probably getting worked up pre-maturely but its hard to stay in a positive headspace.

I went throw Kiaser and I did ask if my BMI got lower would they cancel surgery. My doctor said no! They would still offer me waightloss surgery. She said having surgery at this BMI is a good thing because I would be able to get under the obesity BMI and maintain it. I am excited! I am on day 8 and have lost 12lbs.

I am curious how you are doing now around 6 months out? I am having a sleeve at the end of August with what they consider a “lower BMI” of 34-35. Thanks!

On 1/5/2019 at 9:30 PM, tayna40 said:

I have waited almost 11 month to have my surgery (1/7/19) but I have continue to lose weight and I am down to 196 about a 34BMI. I’m wondering what kind of weight loss should be expected?

On 1/8/2019 at 2:14 PM, Lolo 2020 said:

I also started at 231 with a BMI of 34 and am down to 214 in just under 3 weeks . I think the weight loss is quick if u ramp up activity and follow the 600-800 calories and 60-80g of Protein plan

Hi! I’m curious how the last 6 months have gone for you. I am scheduled for a sleeve at the end of August with a BMI around 35 currently. Thanks!

Hi 303nursemom, doing great , 5 lbs from a normal BMI . Still losing , but slow , about 2-3 lbs a month

I had surgery at 35.1, I didn’t lose as quickly as others but it came off!

My Dr said to lose as much as possible prior to surgery to increase my chances of long term success. They only submit your highest weight for qualifying on my Aetna plan.

Edited by Cheeseburgh