Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychological roller coaster

I am 9 days post-op and I was not prepared for the emotional roller coaster that comes along with this surgery. Yesterday, I woke up with 0 energy and just feeling like an emotional wreck! Spent most of the day walking through a fog and crying. Luckily the nurse from the hospital had called to check up on me when I was feeling my lowest and reassured me that the way I was feeling was normal. That we were Psychologically starving and would naturally go through a lot of ups and downs as our hormones are shifting all over the place but would eventually settle down. She said we will go through spells of were we are burning up and then at times will be cold and that this is the body adjusting to our new way of eating. She said the gastric sleeve only gives you the capacity to eat 30% of what you ate before. She said before you know it your body will finally adjust and start burning fat and then you will have tons of energy and will be running circles around everyone else and not looking back. She said that is why you go through so many classes before surgery. She was very helpful to me and gave me information I had not been given. I did not tell her but In my clinic I had only been through 2 classes pre-surgery and that was the initial seminar that talked about surgery and why it was good for you and then only one other with the dietitian for the pre-op and post-op diet. I had only met the doctor twice which was the initial visit and then follow-up to labs and testing. So I don't think I went through what is usually the norm for this surgery and was much less prepared then most. I am so grateful for this forum as it has helped me with so many issues I was not aware of that I would face in this journey. the nurse on the phone had told me I should find a bariatric seminar near me and a pal to call when I am really low as they can talk you though it? My psychiatrist is so busy that it is hard to get an appointment with him and so I only see him about once a month and he hasn't been much help in this journey.

A lot of this, for me, was hormonal. After about three weeks I started to feel normal again. I have bad days, like raging head hunger and urge to eat everything in the house yesterday, but those are occasional and manageable. Right after surgery I was super emotional, anxious, depressed. It felt like extreme PMS. I am 8 weeks out now and feeling pretty stable. Good luck.

Well you do have us, you can vent to us, because even if you feel in your ❤you are the only one to feel this way, we all at sometime had our own " swampy" moments, where all you can see is Dismal Swamp all around you. We did get better and I am sure you will too. Its a little like producing a baby. They hand you this small human, well the hospital SAID it was human, floppy, small as a loaf of bread, a loud noise at one end , no sense of responsibility at the other, and they tell you just to feed it well and raise it to maturity, but seldom do they give you an Owners Manual. And you return home, a little sore in the belly, a little light-headed, a little WTF did I have done to ME? But it gets better, you heal, you come to terms with what these new innards can do, and gradually you will reach your New Norm. Th8s is a Promise!

What you are feeling is definitely normal. That's good that you talked to the nurse and she shared all that info. I'm 4 mos post sleeve surgery and still struggle psychologically, but it has improved quite a bit since the first few weeks. Because you aren't able to get appts with your psychiatrist very often, and he doesn't seem to specialize in this type of journey I recommend you find someone who does. Maybe the nurse you talked to can suggest someone. Continue reaching out on this forum. I've found it helps a lot. Hang in there.

I agree, this is a whole bucket of emotions. I suggest journaling, get a new psychiatrist that has experience in bariatrics. First of all - you are still recovering from surgery, anesthetic and from lack of nutrition - the first few weeks I passed out a few times, try to keep fluids way up there, it takes work but it is very important, take a nap - it's okay. Soon you will be much better, and it won't seen so daunting. Good luck.

I am 9 days post-op and I was not prepared for the emotional roller coaster that comes along with this surgery. Yesterday, I woke up with 0 energy and just feeling like an emotional wreck! Spent most of the day walking through a fog and crying. Luckily the nurse from the hospital had called to check up on me when I was feeling my lowest and reassured me that the way I was feeling was normal. That we were Psychologically starving and would naturally go through a lot of ups and downs as our hormones are shifting all over the place but would eventually settle down. She said we will go through spells of were we are burning up and then at times will be cold and that this is the body adjusting to our new way of eating. She said the gastric sleeve only gives you the capacity to eat 30% of what you ate before. She said before you know it your body will finally adjust and start burning fat and then you will have tons of energy and will be running circles around everyone else and not looking back. She said that is why you go through so many classes before surgery. She was very helpful to me and gave me information I had not been given. I did not tell her but In my clinic I had only been through 2 classes pre-surgery and that was the initial seminar that talked about surgery and why it was good for you and then only one other with the dietitian for the pre-op and post-op diet. I had only met the doctor twice which was the initial visit and then follow-up to labs and testing. So I don't think I went through what is usually the norm for this surgery and was much less prepared then most. I am so grateful for this forum as it has helped me with so many issues I was not aware of that I would face in this journey. the nurse on the phone had told me I should find a bariatric seminar near me and a pal to call when I am really low as they can talk you though it? My psychiatrist is so busy that it is hard to get an appointment with him and so I only see him about once a month and he hasn't been much help in this journey.
100% normal right now. Oh honey, your body is already running off of the fat cells just to keep you upright, so you are getting a big old hormone dump.

Since we hardly get any nutrients early on, we are using way more calories than we take in just to think, breathe and keep our organs running. So our bodies are just throwing fat cells into the furnace and those hormones are raging.

It WILL continue to get better, bit I know that doesn't help now. Vent here. Rant here. Let us support you, cheer for you and Celebrate with you.

If you DO want to journal, don't think of it as a "dear diary" type thing. It can be your thoughts, song lyrics, doodles, or even a giant profanity scrawled across the page! LoL

Whatever you feel, feel it. Your experience is valid and real. Allowing yourself to feel thos stuff now will help you beat cravings later because you will know that you can live through the feelings without food. And you'll be a rockstar!

~SW: 278 CW: 165~
RNY 1/5/2005
"What got you here won't get you there."

If you have had serious issues with major unipolar depression and/or bi-polar depression in the past, this can be a challenging time for you because your hormones are all out of whack which can trigger lots of feelings (good an bad). One of the problems with being obese is that fat cells produce and store estrogen. As you burn those cells off, the estrogen is being released into your blood stream. This will throw off your hormonal balance in a major way. [This effects both men and women btw]. It will cause mood swings and can make you downright irritable--like super PMS.

If you're unhappy with your p.doc in general, by all means get a new one. If, however, this is just a concern about your current mood, try to get an appointment as soon as possible, but don't look to change docs right now if he or she has been doing a good job for you in general. It's hard to find a good p.doc and there aren't many (or any) p.docs that specialize in treating bariatric patients (we aren't really all that different from any other patient once our bodies adapt to the new physiology). You should, however, go to your bariatric support group meetings. My practice has them twice a month. It's a great way to meet other people that are going through the same things you're going through (or have been them already). Try to get that appointment to see your p.doc, but if he or she has been doing a good job for you so far, don't run out and change. New docs often like to change up meds and that can really add fuel to the fire.

This hormonal spike is going to be a short term issue (a few months at the most)--not a life long thing. So, you are only talking about dealing with unusual emotions for a little while--and then you get back to being yourself (with all the usual issues that you had before surgery, but with less weight to carry around). If have issues with major depression and you feel yourself slipping into a downward spiral, you might also look into seeing a doctor or clinic that could give you ketamine infusion. That would definitely take the edge off while you go through the adjustment phase. My wife suffers with major depression (has for years) and she gets ketamine treatments every 3-4 weeks depending on what's going on. It's not a cure all, but it makes a huge difference!!!

If you have had serious issues with major unipolar depression and/or bi-polar depression in the past, this can be a challenging time for you because your hormones are all out of whack which can trigger lots of feelings (good an bad). One of the problems with being obese is that fat cells produce and store estrogen. As you burn those cells off, the estrogen is being released into your blood stream. This will throw off your hormonal balance in a major way. [This effects both men and women btw]. It will cause mood swings and can make you downright irritable--like super PMS.
If you're unhappy with your p.doc in general, by all means get a new one. If, however, this is just a concern about your current mood, try to get an appointment as soon as possible, but don't look to change docs right now if he or she has been doing a good job for you in general. It's hard to find a good p.doc and there aren't many (or any) p.docs that specialize in treating bariatric patients (we aren't really all that different from any other patient once our bodies adapt to the new physiology). You should, however, go to your bariatric support group meetings. My practice has them twice a month. It's a great way to meet other people that are going through the same things you're going through (or have been them already). Try to get that appointment to see your p.doc, but if he or she has been doing a good job for you so far, don't run out and change. New docs often like to change up meds and that can really add fuel to the fire.
This hormonal spike is going to be a short term issue (a few months at the most)--not a life long thing. So, you are only talking about dealing with unusual emotions for a little while--and then you get back to being yourself (with all the usual issues that you had before surgery, but with less weight to carry around). If have issues with major depression and you feel yourself slipping into a downward spiral, you might also look into seeing a doctor or clinic that could give you ketamine infusion. That would definitely take the edge off while you go through the adjustment phase. My wife suffers with major depression (has for years) and she gets ketamine treatments every 3-4 weeks depending on what's going on. It's not a cure all, but it makes a huge difference!!!

I love love LOVE this response! And love other pros chiming in! Bravo!

~SW: 278 CW: 165~
RNY 1/5/2005
"What got you here won't get you there."

Thank you everyone for your input. This has been so helpful!

Edited by Coexister

On 1/8/2019 at 4:37 PM, SteveT74 said:

Oh my gosh you have given me such great information and I really appreciate this. I have looked and can not find any support groups in my area so this forum has basically become my support group. I do see my pysch next week. And will pick on him to see what he knows about bariatrics as I have a feeling he is not so practiced in this. When we talk he always refers to another patient who doing really great and had started the special diet before the surgery and is now below her weight. Other then that he hasn't spoke much about Bariatrics so this is why I am questioning his skill here. I have been with him for a few years to be treated for Anxiety, Panic Attacks and Depression which he says is medically related - whatever that means. So the information you just gave me is invaluable and I will try to find more information on the web to self help me. Thank you.

Oh my gosh you have given me such great information and I really appreciate this. I have looked and can not find any support groups in my area so this forum has basically become my support group. I do see my pysch next week. And will pick on him to see what he knows about bariatrics as I have a feeling he is not so practiced in this. When we talk he always refers to another patient who doing really great and had started the special diet before the surgery and is now below her weight. Other then that he hasn't spoke much about Bariatrics so this is why I am questioning his skill here. I have been with him for a few years to be treated for Anxiety, Panic Attacks and Depression which he says is medically related - whatever that means. So the information you just gave me is invaluable and I will try to find more information on the web to self help me. Thank you.
Please keep us posted. We're here for you.

I had sleeving in September 2018 and since then I have been like a simmering volcano with a few major eruptions. My coach and nutritionist have advised that this is a process, but no one has explained to the degree that these posts have. My patience which was legendary before has been absent since and my family has been hunkered down sibnce I take no prisoners these days. When I feel irritable, I go in my room and Iron which seems to be therapeutic. The irritability and anger are something that I am very concerned about and I am thankful I have found this forum where others have expressed similar feelings.

Sophie I am also a September Song, my RnY was the 5th, that being said, I am also a great fan of the cable channels FYI, HGTV and DIY, when they renovate and remodel they tear the buildings back to the support studs on the walls before they do their magic. That, my dear, is what we are doing, like the remodelers things are temporarily a big mess. And I believe that's what you and I are going through emotionally.We are rebuilding us, and we, like those houses, are going to have increased market value,be more desirable products. So as we throw our fat, pain and sorrow into a virtual dumpster, clean up our lives of poor diets, deadening our emotions with food as we once did, we are still works in progress but WOW how cool we will end up being! Iron if it's therapy, you are tidying up your best and that isn't bad at all!
I live with my Tomkitten, my son, I was raging around ,scrubbing down a wall. He made a remark about raging hormones, I snapped at him " Now you know what I went through when You were a Teenager" so go iron a teeshirt and I'll scrub that spot only I can see, and WE BOTH WILL BE JUST FINE!😛💦😛

So I met with my Psychiatrist yesterday and I left my appointment feeling very frustrated. All he talked about was how I was suddenly cured by having this surgery? Like it's the end all be all and for some reason that really go under my skin? As I needed to talk more about the changes and what to expect going forth and not "Oh, you should be so excited - your are now cured?? I had to remind him that this was not going to fix a couple of my other issues like my torn shoulder rotator cuff or my incisional hernia and that I have 2 more surgeries going forth and yet I just spent a lot of money and now have the stress of figuring out how I am going to cover these future surgeries and bills. I also have limitations due to these other two illnesses and won't be able to lift over 15 lbs until my hernia is repaired and healed. So this will limit me from doing strength training. I wanted to tell me what psychological changes I might be facing and have a game plan on how to handle these? Isn't that what they are supposed to instead of assuming everything is fixed and it's all going to be bright sun shiny day??

Yeah, it is sort of like a broken record. All of my physicians have been using the words amazing, excited, wonderful and how much better you feel, your numbers are looking great, you will have more..... Unfortunately, none of those words adequately describe what it really feels like and how I feel now. What I feel is more like a boat at sea, some days more calm than others. I am sailing towards my new normal and new clothes, makeup, shopping, are not a major factor in that. I have met my goal of getting off insulin, but the diabetes, hypertension, chronic pain, osteo and rheumatoid arthritis are still there. I also will need more procedures in the future, but if I can be more than the status quo it will all be worth it.