Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

19 hours ago, EmzBee said:

Hey all,

Thought I'd pop in for a little sanctuary and support.

My entire country is shattered. My FB feed is inundated with heartbreak, and it's so overwhelming after having such a crappy week myself (I've finally managed to keep down small amounts of food after 4-5 solid days of regurgitating pretty much everything).

I went to a wedding yesterday, and my emotions are all over the place. One minute I'm crying at a cute couple and their beautiful vows, the next I'm sobbing as reports of the Christchurch victims start to trickle in. I used to live in Christchurch. My husband and I were there right through the earthquakes, It's just devastating to have something of this magnitude happen blocks from where we used to hang out with our friends.

If anyone has any practical tips, tricks, or self-care/comfort recipes suitable for a sensitive soft food tummy... Advice would be greatly appreciated and actioned - I plan to make a list, and prioritize ticking as much off it as I can over the next couple of days.

Sending you all positivity in this time of grief and contemplation.

EmzBee--so many of us are horrified by what happened in New Zealand. I've been in Christchurch and it has been a favorite city of mine every since. I live in the Washington, DC, metro area and have always thought New Zealand, with it's beautiful landscape and friendly people, would be the best place to live a peaceful life. I used to work with head of security for Air New Zealand and based on the conversations I had with him, I know that this kind of senseless violence is almost inconceivable to Kiwis. I'm so sorry this has happened to innocent people in your country. Prayers are with you! (Mashed potatoes are my go-to comfort food.)

We all share in sadness with you about this tragic event. If anyone is looking for a way to help the New York Times has a article in today's paper. I believe if you type in your browser "how to help the victims of the Christchurch shootings" in will bring up the article.

19 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

It’s weird how the appetite works. Lately I find myself in a fasting state for 15+ hours daily and until I finally have the first “meal” of the day, I’m not hungry at all.
Typically I’ll have a glass of fairlife milk around 10-11 am, and after that I’m hungry for the next few hours and eat a little bit of something about every 2-3 hrs until dinner time, which I’ve finished anywhere between 6-8 pm, depending on my work shift for the day.
During that 6-7 hours of “hungry” time, I put done probably 90% of my daily calories, but it’s still far short of where I need to be because I just can’t hold all that much.

I dunno, I want to get in Protein, but I also don’t want to obsess over every bite that goes in.
I think as long as we get in Water first, then worry about Protein, we will all do okay as long as we’re taking in our supplements.
Today I had 8 ounces milk, 6 almonds, 1/2 scrambled egg , 1 ounce triple cream Brie, 2 ounces steak and 1 tablespoon avocado. Oh and over 80 ounces Water.< br /> Lol, not even close to 60gms protein, but I as I post here exhausted from the work day and trying to settle in for bed, I really don’t plan on trying to get in any other kind of protein.
I have to remember how craptastic I used to eat for days and weeks on end and I didn’t suffer too much (well, besides being almost 100 pounds overweight) from that.

Not saying there shouldn’t be goals, but we are all just taking our first few baby steps on real food and it’s a process.

My appetite is crazy too, total weirdness. My gastric bypass was February 13 so I'm into the 5th week post-op. It seems as if after I eat my small meal, my stomach gurgles with hunger pains about an hour later. It literally feels hunger, although I don't feel like eating. food tastes REALLY good to me and I'm forcing myself to eat very slowly (I'm not too patient). At this stage, I'm getting the blues because I'm thinking "I'll never get to go out to eat and just sit down and really enjoy pizza, or steak and potatoes, or a big salad, or ....whatever." Going out for dinner and ordering favorite foods was a form of entertainment for me and this is the first time I thought of it that way. I had fun, I felt good, it was a social event. So, I struggle with this. And this is when I start to feel regret about having the surgery. Also, I have only lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks. Boo. I know, I know, my body is still adjusting, but it's a mind meld. As much as I knew this was going to be how I felt after surgery, I never knew PRE surgery just what I loss I would feel. Hope this makes sense and thanks for letting me vent. 🙂

Anyone having trouble not wanting to eat anything?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

1st restaurant outing with the family. Note to self - when they say what would you like to drink you don't need a drink, the ice Water that you usually drink is tempting sitting in front of me. And when they ask what size ALWAYS choose small. Today I ordered egg drop Soup and she asked if I wanted Small, Medium or Large I didn't know what to say so I said medium because I never order small anythings well the old me that is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

On 03/17/2019 at 17:00, Gottajustdoit said:

My appetite is crazy too, total weirdness. My gastric bypass was February 13 so I'm into the 5th week post-op. It seems as if after I eat my small meal, my stomach gurgles with hunger pains about an hour later. It literally feels hunger, although I don't feel like eating. food tastes REALLY good to me and I'm forcing myself to eat very slowly (I'm not too patient). At this stage, I'm getting the blues because I'm thinking "I'll never get to go out to eat and just sit down and really enjoy pizza, or steak and potatoes, or a big salad, or ....whatever." Going out for dinner and ordering favorite foods was a form of entertainment for me and this is the first time I thought of it that way. I had fun, I felt good, it was a social event. So, I struggle with this. And this is when I start to feel regret about having the surgery. Also, I have only lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks. Boo. I know, I know, my body is still adjusting, but it's a mind meld. As much as I knew this was going to be how I felt after surgery, I never knew PRE surgery just what I loss I would feel. Hope this makes sense and thanks for letting me vent. 🙂

Yes! I can relate to the stomach gurgling with what I think are hunger pains.
It’s so weird feeling maybe-but-not-for-sure hunger, but my first meal of the day starts it going.
Today at work all day I was looking forward to corn beef and cabbage when I got home and it reminded me just how much we as a society tie up holidays and food and celebrations and good feelings all into one package.

Well I did get my corned beef (2 ounces measured) with some spicy mustard on the side and about 3-4 bites worth of cabbage and I made sure to pace myself and not eat quickly.
I have to admit that it only took about 10-12 minutes to eat it so I made myself put my plate in the dishwasher to avoid getting seconds.
I can relate to the whole going out and ordering dinner and making it an event.
What is helping me push through those feelings of “missing out” is I’m calculating what we would’ve spent in all that eating out and saving the money towards new clothes and for a vacation.
In addition to expensive eating habits, me and hubs loooooved our wine and spirits. It was nothing for us to spend $100/week at the liquor store alone and now we aren’t.
So far I’ve got $300 in an account to buy some clothes with and we’ve saved $250 toward a vacation at the end of the year.
Thinking about how much fun it will be to save that money truly does take the sting out of feeling deprived.

6 hours ago, Gottajustdoit said:

I have no appetite, I never feel hungry but I eat meals at the same time every day. Mine was Feb 11. I am down 12 pounds since surgery and down .1 pounds in 2 weeks. It is frustrating, it also makes me think of the things I can never sit down and have again especially when I am not losing for so long. I am hoping everyone is right and our bodies are adjusting and the weight will start coming off.

I spent my entire week 3 post-op on a family reunion, planned since 2017, cruise and boy oh boy was I challenged. food everywhere with 24/7 availability even room service. I’ve read alot of your posts about making proper food choices and the struggles with knowing when full which really helped me get through last week. My husband was supportive to help me keep up the charade (none of other family members know) by putting food he’d eat onto my plate while I kept to mainly my soft Protein based options. He was sneaky and ate from my plate as well (grateful he’s got a high metabolism and works out daily). Thank you everyone for sharing your stories! I feel guilty for only losing 1 lb in week 3 even though was very conscientious about my food portion but know I should not have taken a bite of dessert every evening just to look “normal”. Tomorrow is week 4 anniversary from 2/18 sleeve. I hope to be better off than this past week.

12 hours ago, brittcarter91 said:

Anyone having trouble not wanting to eat anything?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have to remind myself to eat. Especially in the morning. I am just not hungry. I've just moved to solid food but have to do at least one Protein Shake or supplement because I'm supposed to get 70 grams of Protein in. Even if I'm able to eat three meals that are around 20 grams of protein I'm at least 10 grams short. I've been trying to do a protein shake in the morning because I really have no interest in eating that early.

6 hours ago, SleevednowAK said:

I spent my entire week 3 post-op on a family reunion, planned since 2017, cruise and boy oh boy was I challenged. food everywhere with 24/7 availability even room service. I’ve read alot of your posts about making proper food choices and the struggles with knowing when full which really helped me get through last week. My husband was supportive to help me keep up the charade (none of other family members know) by putting food he’d eat onto my plate while I kept to mainly my soft Protein based options. He was sneaky and ate from my plate as well (grateful he’s got a high metabolism and works out daily). Thank you everyone for sharing your stories! I feel guilty for only losing 1 lb in week 3 even though was very conscientious about my food portion but know I should not have taken a bite of dessert every evening just to look “normal”. Tomorrow is week 4 anniversary from 2/18 sleeve. I hope to be better off than this past week.

I have to say, if anything would be difficult to manage after surgery it's eating on a cruise! There are food options everywhere. Kudos to your husband who understands how eating in front of everyone is so difficult after surgery.

12 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Yes! I can relate to the stomach gurgling with what I think are hunger pains.
It’s so weird feeling maybe-but-not-for-sure hunger, but my first meal of the day starts it going.
Today at work all day I was looking forward to corn beef and cabbage when I got home and it reminded me just how much we as a society tie up holidays and food and celebrations and good feelings all into one package.

Well I did get my corned beef (2 ounces measured) with some spicy mustard on the side and about 3-4 bites worth of cabbage and I made sure to pace myself and not eat quickly.
I have to admit that it only took about 10-12 minutes to eat it so I made myself put my plate in the dishwasher to avoid getting seconds.
I can relate to the whole going out and ordering dinner and making it an event.
What is helping me push through those feelings of “missing out” is I’m calculating what we would’ve spent in all that eating out and saving the money towards new clothes and for a vacation.
In addition to expensive eating habits, me and hubs loooooved our wine and spirits. It was nothing for us to spend $100/week at the liquor store alone and now we aren’t.
So far I’ve got $300 in an account to buy some clothes with and we’ve saved $250 toward a vacation at the end of the year.
Thinking about how much fun it will be to save that money truly does take the sting out of feeling deprived.

Yes, I told my husband I was a cheap date now because I order so little food. 😀

You have my utmost respect my dear! Boy were you challenged. Everything after your cruise experience is a breeze now. Good Luck!

Gottajustdoit: you absolutely nailed it . I’m having the exact same regrets and feeling of loss. Same day surgery as you and I sat with a bowl of my favourite chow mein in front of me all day Sunday just trying to take more than 2 bites of it at any given time. Feels like a huge loss at this point for sure

3 hours ago, Dubchild said:

Gottajustdoit: you absolutely nailed it . I’m having the exact same regrets and feeling of loss. Same day surgery as you and I sat with a bowl of my favourite chow mein in front of me all day Sunday just trying to take more than 2 bites of it at any given time. Feels like a huge loss at this point for sure

Dubchild--and it's hard to explain, right? Obviously we choose to have the surgery and took all the steps to follow through with altering our insides in hopes of a road that leads to better health, but there IS a loss. I feel almost crippled. I always knew food had power of me, that I didn't eat right or couldn't eat the right portions of the right foods, but I never looked at is as a true addition, like drugs or alcohol, but holy smokes, it is! I had a lot of visits with the NUT and a diabetic nutritionist over the years, and I had the prerequisite psychological visits, but I almost think I need a 12-step program now to get over this loss! At least I know how to share this feeling with others who are contemplating bariatric surgery. I think all should be prepared for a period of mourning and an understanding of what that mourning period will feel like. I would have still gone through the surgery, but maybe be better prepared for this psychological drain.

They say it’s like losing a good friend who is always there for you. Sounds very accurate to me. The way we tie in all our big social events with food doesn’t help either. Going out for dinner with friends just isn’t the same