Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

Thankfully, my friends and family have not gotten covid 19. It is so surreal how much all of our lives have changed in such a short period of time.

I hope that everyone is okay and finding healthy ways to deal with the stress. I noticed myself stress eating. I have not even reached my goal weight yet! Trying very hard to hold myself accountable and log all foods.

6 hours ago, Everythinganna said:

How is everybody doing during the pandemic?

I have actually found it easier to structure and plan my eating throughout the day when I'm home. When I was at work, I would unfortunately sometimes grab things i shouldn't really be eating. I've lost a few pounds since we began isolating, in spite of getting no exercise.

Otherwise, all good! I'm lucky to have a wonderful partner for company, and the down time to catch up on reading and emails has been wonderful!

Argh! I've put on weight. There is no mystery... since the lock down I've been eating all of the wrong things, including a lot of chocolate. My restriction is non existent now and I can't get out as much because I have a child at home. We go out for a bike ride and get out in the garden, but it's not enough. I miss just getting out and about all day.

I know what I'm doing and I know what I need to do, but it's getting off of this downward spiral I've got myself in to. I'm up about 9 lbs. I don't want to come out of this awful situation we're all in having put on a lot of weight - that would be a disaster. I need to get out of this spiral!

I have been pretty active since this lockdown. I went back to no carbs for a week. I have lost 4 pounds over the last month. I have increased my activity. I run 3.5-4.0 miles ever other day. It’s tough, but I do it. I still work daily as I work in banking. So not much has changed.

4 hours ago, froufrou said:

Argh! I've put on weight. There is no mystery... since the lock down I've been eating all of the wrong things, including a lot of chocolate. My restriction is non existent now and I can't get out as much because I have a child at home. We go out for a bike ride and get out in the garden, but it's not enough. I miss just getting out and about all day.

I know what I'm doing and I know what I need to do, but it's getting off of this downward spiral I've got myself in to. I'm up about 9 lbs. I don't want to come out of this awful situation we're all in having put on a lot of weight - that would be a disaster. I need to get out of this spiral!

I hear you. I actually got sick - I think I may well have had "the virus" that just knocked the socks off me for 2 weeks. I was up to 60 flights of stairs a day, but then got so short of breath that I could barely do 1 flight (to get into my house.) So my exercise tanked, and I also have gained 9 pounds. The honeymoon is definitely over. I find myself eating a lot more comfort carbs than I should. I am trying to get back on track - knocking down any processed food, simple carbs, and reducing the nuts. Starting to exercise a bit more now, too, so I sure hope I can take off the pounds. Amazing, but I can actually tell a five pound difference - never understood how thin people could say that, but I get it now. So I'm with you, Froufrou. We can't let this get away from us. Now is the time to nip it back, go back to some IF, cut back on carbs, up the exercise - all the stuff we know how to do. I am getting a lot more veggies in before I eat anything more dense. Trying to make the veggies the centerpiece of the meal, while still getting the Protein in. That really fills me up. I am also working on cutting out Snacks - those are just killer calories. Hang in there! We can do this!

I think you guys are doing better than me. I’ve gained weight! I never thought that would happen because my restriction was so intense but I just ate a whole piece of bread and two scrambled eggs. I do feel really full but I have leaned so heavily on my restriction I’m gonna have to make some lifestyle changes. Maybe get out of the house and get some exercise.

Been admitted to the hospital since Friday night. My gallbladder is so bad they won’t let me leave until it’s removed.

4 hours ago, ldawn said:

Been admitted to the hospital since Friday night. My gallbladder is so bad they won’t let me leave until it’s removed.

Oh, dear. I understand this is not unusual for those of us with WLS, but it still sucks. Good thing that you were able to get it taken care of when so many elective surgeries have been called off.

On 05/17/2020 at 22:57, Recidivist said:

Oh, dear. I understand this is not unusual for those of us with WLS, but it still sucks. Good thing that you were able to get it taken care of when so many elective surgeries have been called off.

Not elective at all. The ultrasound was really bad. When they took it out this morning it was gangrenous. I have positive blood cultures and 3 markers for sepsis. My heart rate has been 120 and bp 150-170/100-110. It had to be removed immediately.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:26 AM, Everythinganna said:

I think you guys are doing better than me. I’ve gained weight! I never thought that would happen because my restriction was so intense but I just ate a whole piece of bread and two scrambled eggs. I do feel really full but I have leaned so heavily on my restriction I’m gonna have to make some lifestyle changes. Maybe get out of the house and get some exercise.

I've gained 7 pounds. Yikes! I got sick a couple of months ago and it ripped a big hole in my exercise program, and I will admit to some stress and emotional eating during all the uncertainty of this covid mess. I am upping my exercise now and cutting back on some carbs. Not cutting back carbs as much as eating more of the veggies. Carbs are so easy to consume. Veggies take more work, but they sure do a good job of filling me up with low caloric dense, but nutrient rich food. With lots of veggies on board, there is not much room for extra carbs, so I've got to start prepping more intentionally. I, too, have lost some restriction. I will still get overfull if I don't eat slowly, but I definitely can eat more volume now.

My weight just kept going up. I put on 15 lbs... I know why. I ate. A lot. But I was surprised how quick it was. Things that haven’t helped physically and mentally are perimenopause... I started taking progesterone to help my symptoms and it did not work. The lock down - just threw me for a loop suddenly having my autistic daughter at home 24/7 and having to be mum, teacher and therapist. And my husband losing his job of 10 years just like that. No warning, no severance. Just gone in a 5 minute zoom call. I’ve managed to get a grip and I’ve lost two of the gained pounds. Just have to keep on doing what I’m doing, but I’m SO mad at myself because those 15 pounds were HARD to lose. I’m a bloody idiot.

3 hours ago, froufrou said:

My weight just kept going up. I put on 15 lbs... I know why. I ate. A lot. But I was surprised how quick it was. Things that haven’t helped physically and mentally are perimenopause... I started taking progesterone to help my symptoms and it did not work. The lock down - just threw me for a loop suddenly having my autistic daughter at home 24/7 and having to be mum, teacher and therapist. And my husband losing his job of 10 years just like that. No warning, no severance. Just gone in a 5 minute zoom call. I’ve managed to get a grip and I’ve lost two of the gained pounds. Just have to keep on doing what I’m doing, but I’m SO mad at myself because those 15 pounds were HARD to lose. I’m a bloody idiot.

Froufrou, these are extraordinary times and we are all dealing with the stress of isolation in different ways. I can't even imagine how challenging it must be be caring for your daughter at home and coping with your husband's job loss in the midst of the danger uncertainty we are currently facing. Don't beat yourself up! You sound quite heroic to me, and if you are eating more to help you get through this, that's completely understandable.

You recognize what is happening and are taking steps to get things under control, which is all you can do. Take it one day at a time, and be kind to yourself. You are not and idiot and you have not failed--you are human!

On 05/24/2020 at 17:40, Recidivist said:

Froufrou, these are extraordinary times and we are all dealing with the stress of isolation in different ways. I can't even imagine how challenging it must be be caring for your daughter at home and coping with your husband's job loss in the midst of the danger uncertainty we are currently facing. Don't beat yourself up! You sound quite heroic to me, and if you are eating more to help you get through this, that's completely understandable.

You recognize what is happening and are taking steps to get things under control, which is all you can do. Take it one day at a time, and be kind to yourself. You are not and idiot and you have not failed--you are human!

Thank you Recidivist - I really appreciate your kind words. The thing I have a problem with is that I know we are all going through the same thing, so I just need to pull my socks up and get on with it. No more excuses. I do not want to come out of this total disaster of a pandemic fat and depressed lol. If this has taught us anything it’s how valuable our health is, and I am SO thankful I no longer have type 2 diabetes. I’m sure you all feel the same!

I hope all of you are doing ok? How is life in your part of the world? I’m in Colorado and parts of it are opening up... we’ll see how that goes.

12 minutes ago, froufrou said:

I hope all of you are doing ok? How is life in your part of the world? I’m in Colorado and parts of it are opening up... we’ll see how that goes.

I'm in Australia, which has done relatively well during the pandemic compared to most of the world. We are starting to open up here as well, and I fear that people are getting complacent and that there might be another surge. Lockdown has been relatively comfortable for us, since we can work from home and have no children. 🙂

By the way, I'm originally from Colorado! Seems like Governor Polis is doing a good job.

Froufrou,

Hang in there! I have gained some, too, and I know the fear - like what if it all comes back on???? But we have worked too hard to let that happen. Both of us recognize how easily and how quickly a few extra pounds jumped aboard, and both of us are taking control NOW! Not 50 or 100 pounds from now. For me, I know I started snacking too much and fell into some emotional eating. I also have not tracked my intake very well during the past couple of months. So my plan is to plan and track daily, cut out the snacking, fill up on more veggies, reduce some of the grain based carbs, stop eating after 7 pm, and get back to some IF days. I also got sick and fell off on my exercise, but am now getting back to more.

Tell me what your plan is. Let's get this done. We can come out of this pandemic craziness back nat our goal weights and stronger than ever. All is not lost if we learn from the experience and can come back with resilience and a successful new plan. This will not be the only time we regain a few pounds because of stress or situations or illness, so the lessons we learn now will help us down the road. I'm pulling for you. We got this! New day tomorrow, right?