Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

I have also loved this thread. It has been so supportive and so good to "talk" to folks at the same stages throughout the year. I reached my goal at 7 months and have maintained at about 5 pounds below, which feels good. My clothes fit and I am wrinkly, but not gaunt. I,too, am eating more normally than every before. I still have some restriction, but am finding that I need to watch Portion Control a bit more now. Being able to eat more at a time, however, is really helpful as I step up my exercise. Surprisingly, I still have a little trouble getting in fluids more than a couple of swallows at a time. It is my goal each day to get in 64 oz minimum, and sometimes it is a real push to do so.

I have transitioned to a whole foods plant based (WFPB) eating plan now, and have developed lactose intolerance. In fact, it looks like the whey Protein started an allergic reaction in my esophagus. So menu planning has become a bit more challenging with no gluten, no dairy, and no animal products.

As far as complications, I developed blood clots in my legs after surgery, even with walking right away. I also got an ulcer at the the GJ junction which is being treated now (in spite of no alcohol, NSAIDS, coffee, soda, or anything else that would predispose to an ulcer.) But would I do it again - YOU BET! My life if so full and active now. My family is have a bit of a time getting used to the "new me," but it is the best decision I have ever made for myself!

Year two challenges: I anticipate a lot more "head work" as I dig deeper into emotional eating issues and not wanting to stop eating once I start, especially with evening time munching. As the "honeymoon" period ends, I want to be strong and resilient to temptations, having good tools to fall back on - like IF, longer fasts, and exercise goals.

Best wishes for all my Feb buddies. I hope you will all post and let us all know how you are doing and what your new goals are.

Thanks so much guys for being here as we all made this journey.
I can’t believe it’s been almost a year.
My surgery was initially scheduled for January 23rd, then a snafu by one of the office staff at my clinic delayed approval and I couldn’t get in til feb 6th.
I remember being so disappointed at the time, but I had only discovered BP in the week or two prior to surgery and so that’s when I found this group.
If I’d gotten the original date, I’d never have posted in this group, and I’m now so very thankful for that delay.
I hope that we can all stay as engaged as possible and keep this thread going.
For me, this is a major accountability tool and I’m planning on using it as much and as effectively as I can.
All of you guys have helped so much and I’m grateful to each and every one of you. 💕

Myself... I’m doing OK at best. Just OK. Still dealing with tremendous restriction which I feel is amplified by my pain meds acting as an appetite suppressant. I eat better at night and my husband has a MMJ card so I use that to stimulate my appetite from time to time. Still suffering with lots of back, neck pain and headaches. I’m always low on fluids and do find it hard to drink Water. I’ve had UTIs basically back to back for months. I’m skinny! REALLY skinny. And I don’t want to lose more. I have this weird mental thing going on where I struggle to eat as much when I’m in the presence of other people (acquaintances). I eat comfortably with family and close friends. When I dine out, I order things that will reheat well and it usually takes me a few passes to finish. Overall I’m just kind of anxious. I’m getting approved for a procedure for my neck pain and I’m hopeful that this will help me wean off pain meds. I want to exercise but I keep telling myself not to burn those precious calories. Still trying to find appetizing nutritional foods that I can readily eat. I weigh 98 or 99 now. Yesterday I only ate one biscuit (well 3/4 of it) and I was on my feet for hours. I look good; everyone says so, but I don’t feel healthy. I will just keep at it! I’m in a double zero clothing size and I’m about to have to start shopping in kids if I get much thinner.... I will need a Tummy Tuck and I’d love to do that now but I’m just too busy. My life is very very active and stressful and my goal for now is to take better care of myself mentally first and go from there.

This is funny. I bought these cover ups with my girlfriends - the shirts that make you look like you’re wearing a bikini. I went with this one which is more sexy than the ones that they bought. It matches my body almost perfectly. Posted it on social media and ppl were freaking out! When I walked out in it my family didn’t even realize it was a shirt at first!

5AC869BD-5BC2-4451-B51C-5F0C01D21BA6.png

I think I’m looking well, just feel like my nutrition is off. A friend added me to some vegan Facebook pages and suggested juicing. I’m playing around to find what works best for me. Recent pics attached, taken in 2020!

3734B593-F362-4EF4-8B4E-3337BE684D91.jpeg

E49D478A-186A-4D0F-9A04-5B0702636B52.jpeg

5491D44E-9FB4-48D5-BA6A-7ACB5A6A8574.png

Last post - y’all know I go on post tangents and then disappear....

THANK YOU ALL!!! For all the support and kindness you’ve shown me! This group has been amazing. I can’t imagine this journey without having this component. I would have felt so all alone! Thanks for reading all my crazy posts and stories and for the unwavering compassion. I feel like I know and care about each of you personally. You guys are amazing!!!

Counting down to the 1 year anniversary- WOW!!! ❤️❤️❤️

On 12/30/2019 at 1:43 PM, Mel_D said:

This is so close to what I am dealing with!

I was sleeved Feb 12 and didn't have a "stall week" at all until I was at 145 (mr Drs goal weight) but then I lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks and was down to 140. Now at 135 I have been steady for about a month, but would really like to be 140-145.

I haven't eaten well at all the past couple weeks. Just pretty much whatever I wanted. I didn't track and I didn't gain.

If I eat correctly, I strugglento get in 1200 calories still.

How much is everyone eating at a meal sitting. My dr says that I should be up to 1 cup at 1 year but I can barely do 1/2 cup.

For example yesterdays dinner was 1 egg with some pico de gallo and bell peppers. I measured it and it was 1/2 a cup and I didn't clear my plate. There were still a couple bites left.

I really dont want to lose more (5'5" and 135, a size 4 jean!) But am terrified of gaining but would like 140. Help! Suggestions?

I need to measure/track to get a better read on this. Ironically I try to pick high calorie foods to get cals in. I love veggies, but I still enjoy Pasta and Tex mex type things. I just try to eat!!!

7 hours ago, Everythinganna said:

I think I’m looking well, just feel like my nutrition is off. A friend added me to some vegan Facebook pages and suggested juicing. I’m playing around to find what works best for me. Recent pics attached, taken in 2020!

3734B593-F362-4EF4-8B4E-3337BE684D91.jpeg

E49D478A-186A-4D0F-9A04-5B0702636B52.jpeg

5491D44E-9FB4-48D5-BA6A-7ACB5A6A8574.png

You are so gorgeous! I also think that juicing may be a good thing for you. It's not usually recommended because of the calories, but in your case, it just may be the answer. It will also add a lot of healthy Vitamins and phytonutrients. Greens, carrots, and beets are really good options. They are nutrient dense and taste good when juiced. Don't be afraid to try some REALLY healthy greens - like turnip, beet, radish, kale, broccoli, red cabbage, brussell sprouts. They can be juiced easily and the taste is undetectable when mixed with sweeter foods like carrots and a little apple.

You look gorgeous Anna!

It's so great to hear that a lot of you have got to goal - well done! I know that for a lot of you some of the work has only just begun in a way - figuring out your new way of eating and new thinner brains.

I still have a long way to go and even though I only put on a pound over christmas, I managed to put on a bit more when I was sick. I had been sick with a chest thing since Thanksgiving, with a week off over Christmas itself before I got another sinus type cold. For some reason it just made me super hungry and I put on a total 3 lbs (normally over Christmas I would have put on about 10 lbs).

For some reason, in my mind, this 3 lbs feels like 20 lbs. My brain is still learning that putting on 3 lbs is not the end of the world and I don't just give up at this point - that is where I failed at 'dieting' EVERY time.

This really is a process I have to say... so much headwork.

For example, before Christmas I ordered 6 tubes of this pate stuff I used to eat when I lived in the UK. I loved having it on toast. Well... I still loved it and I ate 3 of the tubes over Christmas. I managed to talk to my stupid brain and told it that I was NOT going to be able to just save it and eat it like a normal human being, so it had to go. I squeezed it all out and threw it in the bin. My fat brain screamed in horror, but the thinner part of my brain felt empowered. God I loved that stuff.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I still have at least 60 lbs to lose and so I cannot afford to just stop now, even though I keep faltering. I keep telling myself 'just one foot in front of the other - don't give up'. I really really want this.

Edited by froufrou
my math was off lol

5 hours ago, slim1972 said:

Just a little advice latch on Protein Shake and lots of Water

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Is this for Anna or me? If it's for me I can't do Protein Shakes - couldn't from the start and can't now either. Had to completely skip (approved by my surgeon) that phase! lol.

Good question! I started homemade smoothies again yesterday... need to add Protein Powder. But it’s a start.

I actually love beet juice :)

So I’m almost loath to admit that at least 50% of my days open like this.
The coffee/protein goes down around 11-12 pm, then I hit the p3 about an hour later.

After that sometimes I don’t care to eat til 3-4pm and then by 6-7pm, I’m not extremely interested in dinner.

I’ve got to get better with not only variety, but with quantity.

Anna, I’m so sorry you’re struggling to get in those calories and I totally feel your pain

Sweetie give yourself some time and some TLC. you started this journey at 35% BMI so you’re in a scarier place, but I’m convinced you’ll figure a way out of it.
Keep in touch with a NUT. They should be able to help.

This week I’ve made a renewed effort to get in up to 1100 cals daily.
I’ve failed both days, but I’m logging food again in the hopes that will give me accountability and own the fact that I’m not eating as much as I should.

image-0.0010728836059570312.jpg

Hello February family!
Can you guys believe it’s been almost a year since we’ve had surgery?

I’m curious as to what many of us are struggling with now vs what we THOUGHT we might be struggling with.

I’ll go first:
Never ever in my wildest hopes did I think a year ago that I would be struggling to eat enough calories to slow my loss. Guys, I’m planning menus more now with more attention to detail than I ever did during this process.
Any day that I can actually eat up to 1100 calories (my goal for the last 2 weeks) is a major celebration.
I mean, I could eat CRAP and get there, but I’m determined to do it with whole,healthy food, which is still incredibly challenging with this sleeve.
Also, I still struggle with BD, and have to take pics a few times a week to really “see” how thin I am now.
Wow.... typing out that I’m “thin” was difficult.

Anyway, I’d love to hear of y’all s thoughts and see if we can work together to deal with some of our issues and move together as a group into year #2

Hey ,November11 here still lurking on you guys page..lol… I just love you guys journey... and yes I am enjoying mine as well.. Happy Anniversary February 2019 babies...…!!!!! You guys look great !!!!!