Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

Question: How did you set your goal weight?

I was mathematical about it... initial info said with RNY 'expect to lose around 75% of your EXCESS weight'. I calculated that from my top weight (138kgs) which co-incidentally worked out to be 84kgs; which is where I was when I started uni, and what I managed to lose down to when I started gymming pretty hard in my second year (I'm turning 30 in October... it's been many years since I've seen anywhere close to the weight I am now!)

Just asking 'cause it looks like I'll have to set a 'stretch goal'. I never really considered what it might be like to *actually* be small or within my HWR. And to be honest, the idea scares me a little (especially with the loose skin I have now... I can't imagine what it will be like if I lose another 20 or so kgs!)

So, what's your goal weight based on, peeps? How did you go about setting it? ❤️

Well Sheribear life really starts being the Real Thing after 40. Up till then, you basically are doing Market Reaserch. So to continue that line of reasoning, you were still young, a perfect age to have your Surgery! No wonder you basically are doing well now, You Are Still In Your Prime!

Also: I've convinced hubby to try out Keto with me! Anyone want to join? I mean, we're pretty much all following some kind of LCHF/LCHP diet anyway 😂

TBH I'm kind of scared about consuming more fat, but I'm MORE scared about how quickly carbs started to creep back into my diet... so I'm going to try to eliminate them entirely.

Sounds like a 'carnivore' diet can be reasonably good for head problems/depression, and I have eczema/skin issues too, that might benefit from the extra fat (I'm having particular problems around my sugar glider wings and side boobs... thanks, loose skin!)

On 06/16/2019 at 18:51, EmzBee said:

I was mathematical about it... initial info said with RNY 'expect to lose around 75% of your EXCESS weight'. I calculated that from my top weight (138kgs) which co-incidentally worked out to be 84kgs; which is where I was when I started uni, and what I managed to lose down to when I started gymming pretty hard in my second year (I'm turning 30 in October... it's been many years since I've seen anywhere close to the weight I am now!)

Just asking 'cause it looks like I'll have to set a 'stretch goal'. I never really considered what it might be like to *actually* be small or within my HWR. And to be honest, the idea scares me a little (especially with the loose skin I have now... I can't imagine what it will be like if I lose another 20 or so kgs!)

So, what's your goal weight based on, peeps? How did you go about setting it? ❤️

Honestly I’m going off of where I was when I was in my 20’s and before the metabolic syndrome really started when I was pregnant with my daughter.
I’m 5’7”, have a medium build, and I carry my weight primarily in my hips and legs when I’m not obese and carry it everywhere.

In college I was carrying around an extra 10-15 pounds easy when I was weighing 130-135 so it made sense to set my goal for 145-150 being 30 years older. One year I dieted like crazy and was a gym rat and I got down to 120, but that was really difficult to maintain.

Here is me at 140 ponds in 1995 at my sisters weddding. I was 26. Would love to get back to within 5-10 pounds of this.

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

1 hour ago, EmzBee said:

Mine was fairly easy, EmzBee. I was at a "normal" weight up until I was about 32 (which is 28 years ago), and that's when I started gaining. I stayed around 150 pounds +/- that entire time, so that seemed like a logical goal weight. No higher mathematics involved! 🙂

1 hour ago, EmzBee said:

Also: I've convinced hubby to try out Keto with me! Anyone want to join? I mean, we're pretty much all following some kind of LCHF/LCHP diet anyway 😂

I'm also a bit afraid of eating a high-fat diet, particularly since I've gotten rather sick the few times I have eaten something high-fat. What I'm doing so far seems to be working, so I'm not tempted to tinker with it. (LC/LF/HP and no sugar whatsoever.)

14 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

Honestly I’m going off of where I was when I was in my 20’s and before the metabolic syndrome really started when I was pregnant with my daughter.
I’m 5’7”, have a medium build, and I carry my weight primarily in my hips and legs when I’m not obese and carry it everywhere.

In college I was carrying around an extra 10-15 pounds easy when I was weighing 130-135 so it made sense to set my goal for 145-150 being 30 years older. One year I dieted like crazy and was a gym rat and I got down to 120, but that was really difficult to maintain.

Here is me at 140 ponds in 1995 at my sisters weddding. I was 26. Would love to get back to within 5-10 pounds of this.

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

Thanks Sheri!

Gosh, don't you look lovely 🙂

I guess I've always, always struggled with my weight so I find it difficult to set a 'goal'. Here's kind of where I'd like to get to (I used to play the electric violin in a reggae band). I have no idea what weight I would have been here, though! I'm guessing somewhere between 150-170???

untitled.JPG

Just now, EmzBee said:

Thanks Sheri!

I guess I've always, always struggled with my weight so I find it difficult to set a 'goal'. Here's kind of where I'd like to get to (I used to play the electric violin in a reggae band). I have no idea what weight I would have been here, though! I'm guessing somewhere between 150-170???

untitled.JPG

Hubba-hubba! 🙂

Just now, Recidivist said:

I'm also a bit afraid of eating a high-fat diet, particularly since I've gotten rather sick the few times I have eaten something high-fat. What I'm doing so far seems to be working, so I'm not tempted to tinker with it. (LC/LF/HP and no sugar whatsoever.)

Yes, sugar seems to be the thing that just plain makes me sick if I eat too much of it! Fat doesn't seem to be too much of a problem for me, and I guess I'm kind of scared of losing much more... thus maybe why I'm mucking around with higher fat? Perhaps it's a stalling tactic? *shrugs*

7 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Mine was fairly easy, EmzBee. I was at a "normal" weight up until I was about 32 (which is 28 years ago), and that's when I started gaining. I stayed around 150 pounds +/- that entire time, so that seemed like a logical goal weight. No higher mathematics involved! 🙂

Totally wish I had a "normal" weight to work off.

I blame puberty! Haha 😂

*sigh* this is probably one of those 'don't have expectations of your body, just let it do its thing, it will tell you when it's where it wants to be' things, isn't it?

I'm such a control freak, though! I NEeEeEeEeEd to know what's going to happen so I can prepare myself! Lol.

So, I am now 3 months and three weeks post-surgery, and I weigh 167. That's a loss of 83 pounds from my original weight and a loss of 70 pounds since surgery. And my goal weight is 150--just 17 more pounds to lose. I'm flabbergasted at how quickly the weight has come off (and I'm hoping my saggy skin will start to catch up).

Ladies, please bear in mind that men lose weight much more quickly than women, so don't hate me.

This will sound like a weird thing to say, but I'm a bit concerned that I might lose too much and start to look emaciated. At this rate, I'll be at my goal weight at about six months post-surgery--and then what? I suppose we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, and I could certainly figure out how to increase my calories. 🙂

On 06/16/2019 at 18:56, EmzBee said:

TBH I'm kind of scared about consuming more fat, but I'm MORE scared about how quickly carbs started to creep back into my diet... so I'm going to try to eliminate them entirely.

Sounds like a 'carnivore' diet can be reasonably good for head problems/depression, and I have eczema/skin issues too, that might benefit from the extra fat (I'm having particular problems around my sugar glider wings and side boobs... thanks, loose skin!)

I basically eat keto every day so I’ll be more than happy to do this with you.

I’ll start logging again and post my food logs. This will be a great exercise for this week.

On 06/16/2019 at 20:10, EmzBee said:

Thanks Sheri!

untitled.JPG

Looking GREAT!
Yeah, that’s totally the target you should shoot for

Oh my goodness! I just checked my BMI, and it's currently 25 (overweight, which is wonderful). However, 24.9 is at the very top end of normal weight! I have been waiting almost 30 years to be called "normal!"

3 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Oh my goodness! I just checked my BMI, and it's currently 25 (overweight, which is wonderful). However, 24.9 is at the very top end of normal weight! I have been waiting almost 30 years to be called "normal!"

I gotta head out, but I just wanted to say you are CREAMING it, Recidivist!

So, so, so happy and proud for you! What an amazing achievement!!! ❤️