Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

8 hours ago, Gottajustdoit said:

Bon voyage! Glad you're feeling better. I had my 3-mo post op yesterday and overall I am doing well. My NUT advised me to drink more Water (especially now with the heat and humidity setting in) and to ensure I'm getting my Protein in. She did not seem to be concerned about weaning me off the Protein Shakes (whew) but said if I'm only drinking one a day to make sure I take my Calcium chew. I've been avoiding that because I know it can bulk up the system and I've finally gotten my Constipation under control. 😮 Apparently with two shakes I was getting the right amount of calcium. THE GREAT news is that my labs came back and they are perfect. I see my endocrinologist on Friday for more labs but I've got a good feeling my HbA1c (formerly 7.8%) will be in the 6 percentile range. That would so great. Also great is my 47-lb loss since surgery on Feb. 13.

I finally bought a few basic clothing items (skirt, few work blouses, capris) as I was trying to get away with wearing way-too-big clothes and it left me feeling very frumpy. Once I started wearing the right-sized clothes people at work really started noticing the weight loss (many awkward conversations around that topic!). I have gone from a 2X/18W to a size 14/16. Feels wonderful to be lighter on my feet and NOT having to shop in the Plus-Sized section. It was exhilarating, but funny, as I had NO idea what size to try on. I also cleaned out my big summer clothes from last year and off they will go to the Salvation Army. As Marie Kondo would say: They no longer spark joy!

Foodwise: Tonight we went to a diner for dinner and I had one egg and about 1/3 cup of hash browns. So far, potatoes are my biggest indulgence. Other than a potato cheat here and there I'm essentially eating only talapia, chicken, cheese, hamburger, almonds, Kind Bars, olives, raspberries, strawberries, and Protein Shakes. I am woefully low on eating veggies. Need to get with the program there because potatoes do not count!

Sounds like you're doing amazing, Gotta! So pleased for you! ❤️

Does anyone want to join me on some kind of 5K training program? I need some accountability as I'm falling behind on my exercise...

This last week, I'd say the last 4 nights, I have woken up with terrible stomach pains. It's under my left rib and spreads across my middle. What it feels like is trapped air, but I'm not sure. It wakes me out of a deep sleep!

Has anyone else had this and does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of this?

Hi Froufrou--I can't say I have had any pain like that wake me up. It sounds unusual. Does it go away soon? Do you have your still have your gall bladder? Are you eating gaseous foods before bed?

12 hours ago, Gottajustdoit said:

Hi Froufrou--I can't say I have had any pain like that wake me up. It sounds unusual. Does it go away soon? Do you have your still have your gall bladder? Are you eating gaseous foods before bed?

Hi - It hangs around for about an hour I'd say - it wakes me up out of a sleep and I just kind of lay there till it goes away and then fall back asleep. It's really painful... crampy feelings across my middle and fullness under my bottom left rib. I don't have my gallbladder - that went back in 1994. I'm not eating gassy foods before bed and have been trying to make sure I don't eat much at all before bed to see if that helps. I'm going to try taking some colace or Miralax and see if that helps, but I guess it's another trip to my surgeon's office if this doesn't go away in a couple of days!

Saw this on Facebook and thought I would share. It reminds me of the ricotta bake we all started out with. Looks pretty good I may give it a try. http://dlsh.it/bTL5mNK

Hey guys it’s been a week or more I think since posting.
So far May has sucked out loud.
This 3 month stall is no freaking joke and I’ve actually now GAINED 1.2 pounds over the last 3 weeks.
I’ve upped the number of Pilates classes from 4-6 weekly, started waking 30 minutes daily on the treadmill and cut my calories from 700/daily to under 500 daily.

I dunno... this is getting really old and I’m curious if any other February peeps are having this level of difficulty.
I’ve managed to lose a whole 1.8 pounds for the entire month of May.

Right now I feel like a complete and utter failure...

Had RNY 2/4/19... did very well and no more freeking acid reflux!!! 64 lbs down since the 2nd week of January ( did the liver shrinking diet and to my amazement, I followed it ) and foamies 2xs and dumped once( over a damn Think Thin bar) and I don’t want to do that ever again.. I am great with the Protein thing... middle to fair with Water and awesome with watching carbs.. my surgeon allows fruits and I am now obsessed with my one naval orange a day and pineapple(fresh) and salads.. I haven’t craved much junk but I’m in maine with the kids and I really wanted some of my sons birthday cake but we had a house full and I didn’t want to be rude and be sick so, I didn’t.. everyone’s journey is different, I am COLD ALL the time and I have loose skin and a VERY wrinkly neck but I don’t care.. I wear it with honor because I finally did something positive for myself and I regret NOTHING... food was never the answer to my problems and I hope to stay on track and be a hero in my own life , not a victim .my Daddy passed on March 28th .. 96, he lived with me.. he was very supportive of my surgery.. the night he died I ate a piece of chicken too fast and foamies galore!! It was the last time I turned to food and I’m glad I got sick...I’m changing, I’m a different woman than I was 6 months ago and I plan to be even better next year.. this forum helped so much as I recovered and I’m so grateful!

Sheri you are not a failure! I think you might be going the wrong direction with your calories. With so much exercise you might need to raise them. Your body could be “death gripping” every ounce for survival. Of course it could just be a regular stall with your body adjusting. If that’s the case I really don’t think there’s anything we can do that really “breaks” a real stall.

I reluctantly looked back and I have “only” lost 5 lbs this month, which is down from over 12lbs a month. I’m crossing my fingers to make up a few of those lbs in the days left of May or a least make it up a bit in June. I think it’s just the natural order of things...I sure hope it is anyway.

35 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

Hey guys it’s been a week or more I think since posting.
So far May has sucked out loud.
This 3 month stall is no freaking joke and I’ve actually now GAINED 1.2 pounds over the last 3 weeks.
I’ve upped the number of Pilates classes from 4-6 weekly, started waking 30 minutes daily on the treadmill and cut my calories from 700/daily to under 500 daily.

I dunno... this is getting really old and I’m curious if any other February peeps are having this level of difficulty.
I’ve managed to lose a whole 1.8 pounds for the entire month of May.

Right now I feel like a complete and utter failure...

Have you been measuring yourself??are you dropping sizes even though the scale doesn’t read what you’d like.. I would , as everyone suggests, not cut the calories and wait out the slow loss time.. I have a feeling you must be looking great and don’t lose track of the good things your doing for yourself!! You got this, it’s just your mind convincing you to think the old way.. the scale will be your friend again.. I’m sure

Sheri, it's the strangest thing, but there have been days when I have just felt the need for more calories - probably from increasing my exercise each week. (I normally eat 600-700.) A couple of days, I just followed the feeling and ate healthy food, but hundreds of more calories than usual. Guess what? I lost weight! I think what Taylormom said is really true - if the body starts feeling like it is going back to starvation, it will lower the metabolism and do everything it can to preserve itself. I know it sounds scary, but you might just try eating more for a few days, just to fool the metabolism so it can start revving up again. Be sure they are healthy calories and that you get all your Water in. Adding the walking is really good.

You have done a fantastic job. 65 pounds in 4 months is great! Hang in there - you are not failing, you are succeeding big time!

Hey all! How's everyone going??

I did my first C25K run yesterday, and today I feel equally great and sore. Lol!

Sending you all positive thoughts! 🙂

Hey guys thanks so much for the kind words. It truly does mean a lot.
I’ve bumped my Water intake to over 90 ounces and had a couple glasses of wine after work yesterday and enjoyed a half burger patty and half brat from the grill with a bit of chili yesterday.
I think I definitely had over 900 calories daily for the last 2 days. *gulp. 😱😱
That’s really out of my comfort zone and I’m 100% sure the wine led to some rebound hunger this morning, so now I’m back to a 600-700 calorie day planned.

Got on the scale this morning and I’m down from 195.6 to 192.6 since I last weighed on Saturday. Hopefully it wasn’t just dehydration from wine, but my water % stayed steady and my fat % went down so fingers crossed it’s actual fat instead of water weight lost.

Still pretty pathetic for the month as I started May at 198.0, but at least my gain from the last 3 weeks is now a very slight loss.

It’s been tough embracing this stall because I’m such a detail and goal-oriented person and it’s difficult for me to set a goal, meet all the criteria that I outlined to reach that goal, yet still fall short. This falls into that frustrating category of “ life isn’t always fair”.

Anyway, I guess I’m destined to start June still in the 190’s, but I’m still kicking and fighting
In 2 days I have my 3 month follow-up with my surgeon so I’m going to try to hold my head up and be proud of the 48 pounds I’ve lost since surgery instead of grieving over the 5 pounds I didn’t manage to lose to hit goal.

Good Girl @Sheribear 68, I am proud of you even if you don't lose any more weight! Come to think of it, Do Continue to lose weight, I'm only a few pounds beind you and if YOU don't continue, I might not either! Perish That Thought, my dad- burned Clinic didn't set me up another appointment until August,i must be in the Benign Neglect phase now, they don't seem to care a 🐭A** about me right now! And doggone it, I grow smaller and cuter every day and They Are Missing it All! 💁

I think perhaps the pain I have been experiencing at night is Gastritis - I was told I have Chronic Gastritis after the endoscopy I had before my RNY. From everything I'm reading, I should have had some kind of medication, so I went and got some prilosec and I THINK it may be working already. I can't imagine anymore what it must be like to eat something nutritious and keep it down!

Okay so today was my 3 month follow up and I’m pretty stoked about it.
Okay so I didn’t hit my goal of being in the 180’s for the start of June, but I have lost 54 pounds since my surgery date on 2/6. My doc told me he was extremely pleased with my progress so far and told me to just keep it up.
I went over my food logs with my NUT and she told me I didn’t have to log my chewable vitamins as part of my carbs. I was told originally to keep carbs under 30 grams daily and here I’ve been counting the 16 carbs daily from my Vitamins in that mix!
Anyway, she gave me the green light to actually EAT up to 30 gm carbs, which I’ll try to incorporate more as time goes by.
At least that way maybe I won’t find myself getting into such a food rut. She also told me there’s really no calorie limit — either too much or too little to stick to. She basically said to eat when I’m hungry but to make sure it was actual hunger instead of head hunger and to mostly stick to high Protein, low carb food.

Edited to add:  for some reason I was off on the amount I’ve lost and when my doc initially said I’d lost 54 pounds I argued with him that it was 48.  Then he showed my chart and indeed I’ve lost 54!   🎉🎉🎉