Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

Just wanted to pass along tidbits I heard from my bariatric support group tonight. I have to go to three sessions and so one more to go. I have no idea if what the group shared is true or not, but I want to pass the info along to y'all in case it's helpful. First, vitamin patches. The NUT that runs the group says research shows it only provides Vitamin D and no other Vitamins. I don't use the patch but some of you may want to and look into this further. The NUT does not recommend getting vitamins through the patch. Second, my surgeon told another person in my group that the Ursodial reduces your chance of developing gall stones from 30% to 3%. Guess I'll keep taking those nasty capsules. Finally, one person who is stalling said she heard that taking in more Protein helps with stalls.

On 05/16/2019 at 15:25, sallie Lindsey said:

I just wonder if people’s sleeves stop working cause they don’t follow healthy diet I hate to thk tht we went through all this for it to not work
This is absolutely the reason.
My therapist (had bypass over 30 years ago) has told me about several patients of hers that have gained weight after having WLS.
What she tells me is every single time it’s because they didn’t do their head homework.

The science behind this is very real whether you get the sleeve or bypass. You will lose more with bypass— it’s restrictive and malabsorptive. The sleeve is mostly just restrictive. However both procedures share a common component which is the complete metabolic reset.

This reset only lasts a short time though and we all know that as the “honeymoon”. It’s what we do during that honeymoon that determines future success.

I won’t lose as much excess fat as I would’ve had I opted for bypass, but I had to consider my career and lifestyle and many other factors.
I made that choice knowing the weight would come off slower and that hitting goal weight would make me have to work that much harder.

Now maybe someday I will have to have a revision: I had chronic acid reflux and I can potentially see something like that coming back on me in a couple of years, but I wanted to take a chance on the sleeve because I’m pretty active and have an extremely demanding work environment and I needed something “easier” to take care of.
Right now I wasn’t willing to have to worry about dumping or losing even more hair or being chronically tired because maybe I wasn’t absorbing enough nutrients.

Either way I know I’m going to be successful because my head is in the right place and now my body is actually cooperating.

On 05/16/2019 at 18:14, gabybab said:

My husband called me and said we're going to the new Golden Corral restaurant by our home. Just found out it is a buffet!!

He said I can eat a piece of chicken of his plate. I said "no, you can't do that, it is a buffet."

I told him to go with our daughter and family and he doesn't want to. Omg, he's very upset! He doesn't understand I'm not that girl anymore.

well you could always go and just pay for the buffet and have the 1 piece of chicken I guess.

One thing I’ve had to bend my mind around is that I will “waste” food.
At first it was weird, but it’s been getting a whole lot easier.

Another thing you could do since it’s a buffet is to put small portions of many different things on your plate and only allow yourself 1-2 bites of each one and savor them to the fullest.

14 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

well you could always go and just pay for the buffet and have the 1 piece of chicken I guess.

One thing I’ve had to bend my mind around is that I will “waste” food.
At first it was weird, but it’s been getting a whole lot easier.

Another thing you could do since it’s a buffet is to put small portions of many different things on your plate and only allow yourself 1-2 bites of each one and savor them to the fullest.

Thank you for the great advice. I'm going to go and put stuff on my plate and nibble. It will make him happy & I too, need to let go of wasting food!

On 05/16/2019 at 18:35, Gottajustdoit said:

Just wanted to pass along tidbits I heard from my bariatric support group tonight. I have to go to three sessions and so one more to go. I have no idea if what the group shared is true or not, but I want to pass the info along to y'all in case it's helpful. First, vitamin patches. The NUT that runs the group says research shows it only provides Vitamin D and no other Vitamins. I don't use the patch but some of you may want to and look into this further. The NUT does not recommend getting Vitamins through the patch. Second, my surgeon told another person in my group that the Ursodial reduces your chance of developing gall stones from 30% to 3%. Guess I'll keep taking those nasty capsules. Finally, one person who is stalling said she heard that taking in more Protein helps with stalls.

Interesting. I’m using the Patches right now, but I’m using them with a dash of skepticism. I saw a ton of reviews saying they worked and their labs were fine. I switched to patches bc the pills cause stomach cramping. Hmmm... 🤔
Good to know too about the Ursodial. It hurts my stomach too, but I get it’s a necessary evil. I’m increasing my Protein and Water to see if that will kick my stall to the curb.
Thanks for the info.

5 minutes ago, Transforming_T said:

Interesting. I’m using the Patches right now, but I’m using them with a dash of skepticism. I saw a ton of reviews saying they worked and their labs were fine. I switched to Patches bc the pills cause stomach cramping. Hmmm... 🤔
Good to know too about the Ursodial. It hurts my stomach too, but I get it’s a necessary evil. I’m increasing my Protein and Water to see if that will kick my stall to the curb.
Thanks for the info.

Water kicked me out of my stall. I just wasn't drinking enough, I knew I wasn't but I had no taste for it. I wasn't getting a lot of liquids in period. So I downloaded the baritastic app and set a timer for every 10 mins between certain hours to drink and since then I have been on a steady losing streak. I went from getting 48 to 64 Fluid ounces up to 96 to 120 per day and it was easy with the reminder to drink. Good luck with breaking the stall.

The scales say I have lost a lb this morning, though I'm not going to believe it till it's the same or lower for a few days. I'm starting to get the hair shed... 3 months, that's about right. Fortunately, even though I have fine hair, I have a lot of it. It's temporary - it'll grow back.

13 hours ago, Transforming_T said:

Interesting. I’m using the Patches right now, but I’m using them with a dash of skepticism. I saw a ton of reviews saying they worked and their labs were fine. I switched to Patches bc the pills cause stomach cramping. Hmmm... 🤔
Thanks for the info.

I used the Patches when I first had my Sleeve done my Blood Work came back Beautiful.Im a Year out I take 1 chewable when I wake up then another about 20 Minutes later seems to Work .Im -85 lbs feel like my old self again .FYI there will be Weeks were you won’t lose a lb but will lose inches don’t be discouraged.

Hey just checking in mid-weekend with everyone.
Today was a push: ran errands all day and didn’t eat very much. With 3 employees graduating, my sister and my niece having birthdays this weekend AND getting ready for my husband to be gone for 3 days this upcoming week on a business trip, we had to get it all done today.

As a result, I Also didn’t drink very much.

As I’m about ready to head upstairs for bed, I’ve only drank 50 ounces Water today.
However I just logged my food and I had over 70gm Protein and under 500 calories.
We had Cobb salad for dinner with ham,turkey,chicken,blue cheese, shred cheese, and red onion and Tomato.
lunch was 1 piece lunch meat wrapped in 1 slice American cheese. snack was 1 glass fairlife milk.

It was pouring down rain here until mid-afternoon, then hubs and I gardened for 2 hours.
Lol, I’m already dreading the sore back tomorrow and I’ve got 2 Pilates classes before heading out to a big family dinner at my sisters house.
I keep asking what she’s going to be having for dinner and the response back is “don’t worry, you’ll be able to have it”.

Kinda nervous, but my sister is one of my biggest fans so fingers crossed all will go well.
I’ll be seeing some family members for the first time since surgery so I’m already getting a little edgy about it...

I am happy to say my stall is broken! Weighed myself today and I dropped almost 10lbs this week!! 😱I went back and tried to focus on getting more Protein and Water in and I finally started back at the gym. Going to keep focusing on the protein and water intake and see if this continues.
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and ideas! Hope you are all having a wonderful week!

Congrats on breaking that stall!

Today I hit my mini goal of 189lbs! Yay!!

I have not been sticking strictly to plan, bites here and there of things I don’t normally eat, not drinking enough, eating too many calories in nuts and eating too much in general. Today I’m committing to getting in 100oz of Water and cleaning up my eating. Getting back to serious business!!

Hi, all. Just a quick update before I head out on my Alaska cruise tomorrow! 😁

The cramps, gas, bloating, etc. left as quickly as they came after about five days. There is no apparent reason why they started nor why they went away. I'm feeling pretty good right now.

I've made a conscious effort to increase my Water intake to about 96 ounces a day (three 32-ounce containers), and it's been very successful. I find that I can drink much more than I could even a month ago without any consequences. Interesting note: I saw my nutritionist recently and she told me that they no longer say that you have to stop drinking 30 minutes before eating, only after. She said you could literally drink right up to the point when you start eating.

I've lost 55 pounds since surgery. Let's see if I can at least break even after seven days on a cruise!

Enjoy your cruise, stay healhy, happy, bring back pictures and relate all the interesting things you did!

5 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Hi, all. Just a quick update before I head out on my Alaska cruise tomorrow! 😁

The cramps, gas, bloating, etc. left as quickly as they came after about five days. There is no apparent reason why they started nor why they went away. I'm feeling pretty good right now.

I've made a conscious effort to increase my Water intake to about 96 ounces a day (three 32-ounce containers), and it's been very successful. I find that I can drink much more than I could even a month ago without any consequences. Interesting note: I saw my nutritionist recently and she told me that they no longer say that you have to stop drinking 30 minutes before eating, only after. She said you could literally drink right up to the point when you start eating.

I've lost 55 pounds since surgery. Let's see if I can at least break even after seven days on a cruise!

Bon voyage! Glad you're feeling better. I had my 3-mo post op yesterday and overall I am doing well. My NUT advised me to drink more Water (especially now with the heat and humidity setting in) and to ensure I'm getting my Protein in. She did not seem to be concerned about weaning me off the Protein Shakes (whew) but said if I'm only drinking one a day to make sure I take my Calcium chew. I've been avoiding that because I know it can bulk up the system and I've finally gotten my Constipation under control. 😮 Apparently with two shakes I was getting the right amount of calcium. THE GREAT news is that my labs came back and they are perfect. I see my endocrinologist on Friday for more labs but I've got a good feeling my HbA1c (formerly 7.8%) will be in the 6 percentile range. That would so great. Also great is my 47-lb loss since surgery on Feb. 13.

I finally bought a few basic clothing items (skirt, few work blouses, capris) as I was trying to get away with wearing way-too-big clothes and it left me feeling very frumpy. Once I started wearing the right-sized clothes people at work really started noticing the weight loss (many awkward conversations around that topic!). I have gone from a 2X/18W to a size 14/16. Feels wonderful to be lighter on my feet and NOT having to shop in the Plus-Sized section. It was exhilarating, but funny, as I had NO idea what size to try on. I also cleaned out my big summer clothes from last year and off they will go to the Salvation Army. As Marie Kondo would say: They no longer spark joy!

Foodwise: Tonight we went to a diner for dinner and I had one egg and about 1/3 cup of hash browns. So far, potatoes are my biggest indulgence. Other than a potato cheat here and there I'm essentially eating only talapia, chicken, cheese, hamburger, almonds, Kind Bars, olives, raspberries, strawberries, and protein shakes. I am woefully low on eating veggies. Need to get with the program there because potatoes do not count!